• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Help me choose my real name while awaiting next step in my transitioning process

Jennifer75

Help me choose my "real" name! I´m considering these names.  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Which name will be my real name? These are variants I've considered

It has been a hard road for me, called the center here in Finland. They said that my application from the doctor is in but I have to wait half a year from now.

I have really started to think about my real name, I don´t feel that I like to be called Anna. That was the name that first came to my mind.

These 4 names responds to my heart better. Tina was the first girl I ever got attracted to during my early school years (I am lesbian after all). 

Melissa, I like somehow. Jennifer, I could be called Jen :)  Samantha is quite strong I think, I could use that too.

My dead name is Tommy. My physical transition; I think the celebrity woman I would look like the most would be Lucy Lawless (Xena). I around her height, I got a male variant of 

her facial features now. So if I would look like a celebrity woman Lucy would be closest. Just to describe how I imagine I would look a bit like, a little bit maybe.

I am kind of muscular built in my male form, so I wouln´t become petite. 

I am also a compassionate person, kind to all. I encourage people. Kind of intelligent. I like history, sci-fi. And I am a musician and a nerd :)

Please help my make up my mind for my final real name… I have half a year to practice using it. You can help me pass the time.

If you have other name suggestions, please write a comment.

Thanks all!

Tina, Melissa, Jennifer, Samantha :) 

• Forum Moderator

Since Tina was the name that first attracted you I would go with it.  A name is a very personal part of you.  Pick one you love.

Jani

Thanks Jani.

This name choosing seems to be the thing that keeps me going on when I have this long wait.

Jennifer could also be a good candidate. Many cute nick names from Jennifer ☺️ Jen, Jenni and so on.

I like the cute parts from the female side. 

Tina is more straightforward and resemble a bit my male name. But the connection with this name is of course that cute girl I still remember to this day. Much to ponder but this time I will take my time ?

I did this poll to make my days a bit easier so I hope that many could vote. It somehow helps my dysphoria to ease a bit when I have to wait all this time. So those who votes and maybe suggests names from what I wrote, the description of me, those will help me during this time of waiting. This name game will help me not to fall to far into depression.

Nice name choices, but why stick with old names. Like the late Dr. Seuss said, Why fit in when you were born to stick out. Anyhow, I would choose Jennifer. I just think it a great name. I actually just like Jenna

Just now, Noel L. said:

Nice name choices, but why stick with old names. Like the late Dr. Seuss said, Why fit in when you were born to stick out. Anyhow, I would choose Jennifer. I just think it a great name. I actually just like Jenna

Thanks!

Jepp Jennifer is great. More nicknames to use from that name! 

Well, maybe I can try many names and see what sticks :) 

I actually leans more towards Jennifer but I think that maybe other could have more suggestions. 

I will take my time and "feel" names until I got that "Hallelujah" moment!

Just now, Noel L. said:

Sometimes, the best people are not remembered due to their name, but to their kindness!

Yep. My mission is to find the best combination for me. But one of these four names will be mine when this process is over (the name game). I have choosen these four names myself but I just want a little help to make final decision. And also give people here opportunity to give other name suggestions if I have missed out on something :)

47 minutes ago, Anna75 said:

Many cute nick names from Jennifer ☺️ Jen, Jenni and so on.

I like the cute parts from the female side.

You could do exactly the same with Melissa; Mel, Mellie, Issa or Samantha, Sam, Sammie... Nicknames tend to be given you rather than adopted, but I wish you all the best in your search.  You may find you use Jenand then use the others for middle names!  X

Well not that I am at all qualified to make any decision for you especially not knowing you on a very personal level, my own personal fav is Melissa. Sam and Jen are very popular names and after being Michael most of my life that’s not fun. Idk a Tina at all but I like Mel for its other forms. Tina is just Tina. Missy Mel Lissa and Melissa off the tip of my head. I think Missy is very cute. 

22 minutes ago, SeekingSadie said:

You could do exactly the same with Melissa; Mel, Mellie, Issa or Samantha, Sam, Sammie... Nicknames tend to be given you rather than adopted, but I wish you all the best in your search.  You may find you use Jenand then use the others for middle names!  X

Maybe Jennifer Samantha... Jen S. Jenni S. Jenny S. 

The other way around Samantha J. Sam J. Sammie J.

Or then Melissa S. Mel S. Issa S.

Tina will just become Tina S. or Tina J. or Tina M.

Many interesting combinations ?

23 minutes ago, Kirsten said:

Well not that I am at all qualified to make any decision for you especially not knowing you on a very personal level, my own personal fav is Melissa. Sam and Jen are very popular names and after being Michael most of my life that’s not fun. Idk a Tina at all but I like Mel for its other forms. Tina is just Tina. Missy Mel Lissa and Melissa off the tip of my head. I think Missy is very cute. 

Missy is very cute indeed ?

I agree that Missy is a good choice. I have a daughter named Jennifer (her name was my choice) and also a daughter named Melanie (also my choice). That seems to tie in closely with Melissa. Just my thoughts. How ever, when the one that fits, you will know it.

Hugs,

Brandi 

54 minutes ago, BrandiBri said:

I agree that Missy is a good choice. I have a daughter named Jennifer (her name was my choice) and also a daughter named Melanie (also my choice). That seems to tie in closely with Melissa. Just my thoughts. How ever, when the one that fits, you will know it.

Hugs,

Brandi 

Your daughters have great names.

It is leaning towards Jennifer Samantha, Jennifer as first name.

I like Jennifer, it is cute like Jenny from the block ?

I can use Jen, Jenni, Jenny. And have that S as middle letter.

Jen S, Jenni S, Jennifer S. 

I like Samantha somehow also. So I could switch these names around how I use them.

Could go by Jen or Sam in everyday use. It is leaning more and more to these two names.

Looks like I, myself need to decide ?

Thanks for the help I've got this far. 

My conclusions and reasons why:

Tina - not to many options for cute nicknames (I like cute nicknames)

Melissa - I like it but it doesn´t really resonate with my soul

Jennifer - I like all the cute nicknames (Jen, Jennie, Jenny, Jenni)

Samantha - The same as Jennifer, the nicknames (Sam, Sammie, Sammy etc.)

The decision for first name - Jennifer (although I think I will use Jenny or simply Jen a lot)

The decision for middle name - Samantha

So I will be Jennifer Samantha …..

These are the names that I love most and resonate with my soul!

Thanks all again,

yours truly,

Jenny 

• 5 months later...

I got lucky my given name is Donald, I go by Don(I am still pre transition, and in the closet for now) to keep things simple I decided to go with Dawn. I like the name, and if family who have 41 years of calling me Don slip up I won't know. Heck I have southern relatives who call me Dawn now due to their accents. But back to the poll I would go with Jennifer.