• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

My turn...

Michelle F

Today I set the appt for consultation and determine laser or electrolysis. I suspect it will be electrolysis. My hairs are too light for laser!

• Forum Moderator

Good news!  Be aware that electrolysis is not for the faint of heart!!  But it does get easier it seems as the hairs become physically smaller.  I had my electrologist focus on dark hairs first before moving to the white ones.  She also moves around rather than focus on one area per session, that way its easier on my nerves.  

All my best, Jani 

OMG... My evaluation has been approved! Gonna set appt this morning!

What a great email!

• Forum Moderator

Great news.  Another step which while painful is also affirming.

Hugs,

Charlize

• 3 weeks later...

Good luck on your first appointment today Michelle. I hope it doesn’t hurt too much. 

I am starting to save up for my first appointment. 

*hugs*

I had professional microneedeling done to m y face to look even more beautiful than I am already!  I think nothing can hurt as bad as that procedure, and the pain lasts for several days!  I would never ever do this again!

Electrolysis is a piece of cake compared to this method of torture!

First laser treatment on my chest completed!

Not painful yet! I am told that won't last. Doc said he was gentle for the first time to see how I tolerate the treatment. So far so good!

Facial hair is too light for laser. So that will be electrolysis only. That will be Thursday.

Wooohooo!

I have wanted to remove my facial hair since 1971 when I was in the Navy. They gave me a "no shave chit" because back then I would break-out horribly every time I shaved. My Chief said I looked diseased so he got me the chit!

Oh My Gawd, my dreams are coming true!

• Forum Moderator

That's great news Michelle.  Looks like I'll be getting electrolysis on my face too.  I've got light colored beard.  My face is very sensitive too.  I used to use an electric razor but it just doesn't get close enough for my liking.  I tried a half dozen different razors.  It seems the fewer the number of blades the easier on my face and the better it worked...go figure!  I also use an non-fragrant witch hazel and aloe based aftershave to reduce chances of razor burn.  Works great but messy going from electric to razor.

Susan R?

I’m frustrated by my facial hair. It’s a mixture of dark brown and gray so while some will be able to get laser removal the rest will be gray patches that will only be gone after electrolysis. I’m looking at a plethora of other methods to help maintain a smooth face in between sessions and have only come up with a few alternatives. There’s a Braun epilator, a ILP gun, and the most expensive is an actual laser rated to equal the power of a dermatologist laser for $400+ but my current budget limits the ability to get any of them. I’m definitely going to try investing in two and then the third is something that is cheaper in the long run but I’ll have to wait a bit for that. It’s probably going to be ok to use them initially but I’m probably going to have to get actual treatment at some point. If my schedule or budget won’t let me go for an appointment they could be a way to maintain hair removal without worrying about it in between visits. I’m not even sure if I want to get anything. My trunk hair is probably going to be easiest because I’m fairly pale with dark hair there. It’s all very soft and fine. Fortunately there’s no gray anywhere else besides my face.

• Forum Moderator

Josie you might just want to save for professional treatment as it may provide for better clearing.  Until then, use a good razor.  

I’m using the best razor I can find but it still doesn’t do as well as I’d like. I’m cursed with rapidly growing facial hair. I’m probably not going to be satisfied until it’s all gone for good. If I actually shaved every day it would become a very expensive habit.

15 minutes ago, Josie Beth said:

I’m using the best razor I can find but it still doesn’t do as well as I’d like. I’m cursed with rapidly growing facial hair. I’m probably not going to be satisfied until it’s all gone for good. If I actually shaved every day it would become a very expensive habit.

Don't most men shave daily? I am lucky, I need to shave only once or max twice a week.  I use one of those Gillette 5 blade wet shavers.  This works great for me, better than their 3 blade version.

I don’t but the stubble is horrible at 24 hours. I’m really ready for a more permanent solution but anything that means less shaving would help. My norelco is already getting dull and I just bought it last week. I use that between razor shaving. That’s why the braun wet/dry epilator is so attractive, because I can use it in the shower and reduce irritation but also reduce the frequency of hair removal. My work schedule leaves me with no time during my work days and it usually takes a day to recover. I shaved my face and trunk today but my legs are still in need of a shave. They’re not bad but I’m more comfortable with no hair on them.

I have to shave daily. I have a permanent 5 o’clock, even though my face feels smooth right after shaving, it still looks dark and rough. By the end of the day, my face is like coarse grit sand paper.  

Shaving anything other than my face or even using a depilatory creme leaves me with a lot painful ingrown hairs. I’ve started trying to pluck my body hairs but it takes sooo long to do even just a small part. I have been thinking of picking up an epilator. I use a hair trimmer to keep the hair shorter and it helps a bit. Body hair is a big part of my disphoria. 

I am looking forward to the day I can afford permanent hair removal. 

Michelle, hopefully you’re still pain free and ready for your next round. Good luck. 

Have a a great day everyone! *hugs*

Next appt is this morning... Focusing on facial (electrolysis) this morning and a couple small very dark patches on my back (laser)

Having coffee and letting partner sleep in a bit before I do my makeup and get dressed. I'll update this evening!

*poof*

• 2 weeks later...

Ok... This is my third electro treatment. Finally showing some progress...

What's the big deal about coffee?

• Forum Moderator
1 hour ago, Michelle F said:

What's the big deal about coffee?

Since coffee is considered a mild stimulant it can increase sensitivity as someone mentioned in another thread.  For me, it's the only thing that gets my day going.  Oddly enough, not so much at night.  I drink black tea after 8pm if I'm planning on a late evening.  It's been like that for me since my college days.

Susan R?

Sigh... Parts hurt... Others not so much

No visible changes so far...

...will get back to you!

• 1 month later...

All righty then...

Today's treatment was somewhat a landmark moment in two ways and very scary!!!

I had a laser treatment directly monitored by my bottom surgeon on my lower belly, midriff and the crotch bellow the scrotum via Skype. He was in Los Angeles. My treatment center in Cathedral City two miles southeast of Palm Springs. His personal RN handled the actual laser wand...

I got to shape my own Venus patch.

OMG... Talk about validation and realization. All of a sudden this whole scenario became real. Yeah yeah yeah... I've spoken of passing and many other little milestones...

BUT THIS!?!?!?! OMG!!! GOBSMACKED!!!

I am stunned!

First... The most calming realization I've ever experienced.

Second... Sincere, deeply deeply moving validation. 

Even my beau Shawn noticed I have found an Inner calm that is extraordinary. He said I was radiating light... Literally glowing!

LoL

??????