• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Does HRT change who you are attracted to?

Ashlee

So everything is going good so far and I have come out to most people in my life. Im wondering if hrt would make me more attracted to guys? I dated a few guys(at different times of course) many many years ago but stopped even looking at guys like that after my first son was born until very recently. Lately I've noticed when I meet someone or see a good looking customer sometimes I think in my head that they are cute. Is it just because I am not afraid anymore or is it the hormones? Has this happened to anyone else? On a side note, all the guys I think are cute have similar looks or features, like I'm attracted to a certain type of guy. 

• Forum Moderator

This question comes up from time to time here on the forums, for me, no changes in attractions, now at 7 + years of HRT. I have a soul mate and have been in a long term relationship with a woman, and I still find women attractive, guys are OK too. Attractions are not simply appearance based, like I'm attracted to friendly, nice people of either sex....

Hugs

C -

• Admin

It wasn't until I was in therapy for a while before I allowed myself to realize and accept the fact that I was, bisexeual.  This was before I started taking hormones.  I think that those feelings and attractions were always there, but I would not allow myself to recognize it.  Those constraints are now gone.

I am happily married and will remain so, and my wife is comfortable (I think) with my occasional verbal appreciation for a handsome or cute guy.  If I were single would I act on those feelings?  I don't know.  I'm not single, so it doesn't matter.

Anyway, I say all that to suggest that anything is possible, and it isn't really important why you feel attraction to either sex.  What matters is that you recognize and appreciate whatever feelings and attractions you have, and decide for yourself what to do about it.

Carolyn Marie

I am definitely becoming more and more comfortable with everything, including attraction to guys. Women are still attractive too. Most of my girl friends and my ex wife were bi. Explains a lot :)

• Forum Moderator
2 hours ago, Ashlee said:

I am definitely becoming more and more comfortable with everything, including attraction to guys.

It's always nice to have more options.  Good for you, Ashlee.

• Forum Moderator

I think you don't change who you are attracted to but you may allow feelings that had been hidden to bubble up.  This may be surprising at first, until you look back and consider your thoughts and feelings.

Jani

I am definitely becoming more and more comfortable with everything, including attraction to guys. Women are still attractive too. Most of my girl friends and my ex wife were bi. Explains a lot :)