• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Vitamins and supplements

Raven1981

Hello All:

So just want to share that I have been taking alot of vitamin's and supplements for help with hair growth and also staying healthy.

I have been taking Vitamin D3 5000, and B12 for health and my Endo was telling me to take to get those numbers up which are for health according to my Endo. Then I have been taking Biotin for hair and nails and skin.  Also I have been taking supplements with Omega3 and Fish Oil to help out hair growth and give my hair the health and nutrients it needs along with I wash my hair like 2 times a week so I try not to damage my hair, but wondering if there is anything else I can do with my hair to get it to grow faster  and then everything else is for my health.

Lots of Love

Amy

• Forum Moderator

As long as your Endo is aware of your supplements, all sounds good.  My PCP has me taking D3; not enough sunlight here!   I've been taking Biotin for a while and while it initially appeared to help my nails I'm not sure what long term benefit I have.  I eat a lot of fish high in omega3 (mostly Salmon). 

I used to have to wash my hair daily but now I can go much longer unless I am physically active or out in the hot sun for a while.  I have two friends who tell me they don't wash their hair but every 5 days.  I don't think anything will actually help accelerate hair growth.  A half inch per month is pretty average (+/-).  

Jani

1 hour ago, Jani said:

As long as your Endo is aware of your supplements, all sounds good.  My PCP has me taking D3; not enough sunlight here!   I've been taking Biotin for a while and while it initially appeared to help my nails I'm not sure what long term benefit I have.  I eat a lot of fish high in omega3 (mostly Salmon). 

I used to have to wash my hair daily but now I can go much longer unless I am physically active or out in the hot sun for a while.  I have two friends who tell me they don't wash their hair but every 5 days.  I don't think anything will actually help accelerate hair growth.  A half inch per month is pretty average (+/-).  

Jani

Thank you Jani.  My Endo is aware and in fact she told me to take vitamin D3 5000 and (X)x daily for XXX since my vitamin D level is low and she even told me to do vitamin B12 since my B12 is low.

I asked about hair growth and my Endo said try Biotin, and if I am not eating enough fish like Salmon to try Omega3 and fish oil but if I do go for fish then dont take the omega3 and fish oil as too dont want too much

Lots of Love

Amy

Edited by Jani
Any dosages not allowed.