• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Final made the commitment.

J_Perra

So I finally called and made an appointment for HRT. I was talking to my therapist and she asked what I was waiting for. After thinking about it for a while, I couldn't come up with a reasonable answer.  So on Jan 4, I have my first appt, yeah me. I think I am going to try for injections. Does anyone have any comments good or bad about that choice?  Thank you in advance and happy holidays.

• Admin

Going great there.  Why did you wait??  (I think all of us have been that way at some time though.)

15 minutes ago, J_Perra said:

So I finally called and made an appointment for HRT. I was talking to my therapist and she asked what I was waiting for. After thinking about it for a while, I couldn't come up with a reasonable answer.  So on Jan 4, I have my first appt, yeah me. I think I am going to try for injections. Does anyone have any comments good or bad about that choice?  Thank you in advance and happy holidays.

Hello:

That is grate news on your appt.  I think everyone has that time when they wait.  It is usually I have noticed that waiting and usually when we think and think and start asking ourselves about doing HRT.

I am currently on injections for estrogen and it works awesome and wonderful.  In my case and everyone is different so everyone responds to the different methods their own way.  I feel in my own opinion that if you are under 40 that the injections are better and easier on the body.  Now this is just my own opinion cause I first started out on patches and had problems with getting my Estrogen number to go up and having problems with the patches staying on.  When I switched to injections, my estrogen started going up and everything started to feel good.

In the end, the choice is yours if you want injections, patches, pills, creams and make sure to ask your doctor about each one and have them tell you about all the effects that each method will do.

Lots of Love

Amy 

• Forum Moderator

Congrats on making the hard choice for yourself, J_Perra.  I first began thinking about getting on HRT late last year (2017).  After much mental debate with myself and time with my therapist, I finally set up the appointment 9 mos. later in mid Sept. and had to wait about 10 grueling days for the date to arrive (Sept.25).  I was scared but happy and excited too.  After the visit, I felt like I was on an adrenaline high for two days.  It was one of the best decisions of my life.  I'm on tablet form but whichever method you choose, I'm sure you'll enjoy the changes.

Best of luck and happy holidays!

Susan R?

1 hour ago, VickySGV said:

Going great there.  Why did you wait??  (I think all of us have been that way at some time though.)

Honestly,  scared and ashamed. I didn't think people could accept me,  so I couldn't accept myself. But then I wound up with an awesome girlfriend who did accept me for me.  She has helped me to understand that i am ok.

• Admin
1 hour ago, J_Perra said:

She has helped me to understand that i am ok.

All of us have reasons that we waited, and I did too but "its complicated" as people say.  You and all of us are OK although it is tough for us and those we know to really grasp that.  I am very glad you have someone in your life who sees it that way.

• Admin

Congrats on your decision, J!  It's an exciting journey and the wait for your body to start changing, not to mention your brain, will be fun to experience.

I would talk over the choices for HRT with your doctor.  There are medical reasons as well as practical ones to consider, and they're all important.  The medical risks vary depending on whether you have per-existing conditions, and what those are.  Patches are generally the safest, pills in the middle, and shots the most, but those are generalities.  As for the practical reasons, those are cost and what your insurance company will cover, if any.  There is plenty of good info on the Web to look at, including the WPATH Standards of Care.  Good luck!

Carolyn Marie

So,  I was talking my daughter to see my mom for christmas today.  I was playing heads or tails in my mind over whether to say anything about this to them. As it turns out, my mother opened up the conversation with I need to cut my hair.  Go figure!  So I pulled her aside and explained to get what I was going through,  with a lot of fear and apprehension.  Needless to say it went better than expected.  She said she is disappointed, which I expected,  but that she wouldn't love me any less.  Such a relief to have told her though. I feel it puts me one step closer having confused in her. 

Just now, J_Perra said:

Sorry for so the typos above. Fat finger syndrome.  Lol

I usually have the opposite problem and automatic spelling correction changes words on me without my consent... lol

• Forum Moderator
31 minutes ago, J_Perra said:

As it turns out, my mother opened up the conversation with I need to cut my hair.  Go figure!  So I pulled her aside and explained to get what I was going through,  with a lot of fear and apprehension.  Needless to say it went better than expected. 

Congrats on this!  That takes some serious courage. And I agree that this is one of many coming milestones along your journey and a very difficult one on top of that.  What a relief too, I bet.  Thank you for sharing this update.  I love good news like this!

Susan R?

• Forum Moderator
On 12/22/2018 at 9:20 PM, J_Perra said:

Honestly,  scared and ashamed. I didn't think people could accept me,  so I couldn't accept myself.

This is normal so don't fret!  Maybe some won't.  That's OK.  Accept yourself and thats all you need.  Then you can look beyond yourself to others.  

As to injections, pills or patches... talk to your doctor and work out the best approach for your personal health, your goals and your lifestyle.   I'm on patches and they work great for me.  

Cheers! 
Jani

Well, my appt was today at 3. I was so nervous my BP was high. Lol it went very well. I was so surprised by how easy they made it feel. After 20 minutes and some questions,  I got my meds. Relief immediately set in. The Dr said should have scrip filed tomorrow,  but on the way home, I got the text that it was ready.  Just took my first dose.  Yeah for me!  Tomorrow is before hand picture day.  Lol

• Forum Moderator
8 minutes ago, J_Perra said:

Well, my appt was today at 3. I was so nervous my BP was high.

I feel for you!  It is such a huge milestone getting to that point, it physically affects you.

When I went to "THE" visit in which I was to get my first script for HRT it went the same way as yours.  I had planned for the appointment "it seemed" days before because I wanted to make sure everything was going to go well.  Before the appt., everything was going great but right after getting onto the freeway I realized I had forgot my wallet.  I finally arrived 3 mins late and breathing hard.  I got right in and one the first things they did was take my vitals.  My blood pressure was very high.  It was something like 154/84.  After an hour or so, I was OK'd for scripts.  I was so happy and relaxed.  I decided to ask if the nurse if she could retake my BP.  She did.  It was 124/82 which is about where I am normally.  So I can totally relate to your experience.

Glad it went well,

Susan R?

• Forum Moderator
1 hour ago, J_Perra said:

Well, my appt was today at 3. I was so nervous my BP was high. Lol it went very well. I was so surprised by how easy they made it feel.

Me too!  I recall commenting that mine was way high.  I was told to relax and be calm.  My visit went well and I love the people that see me at the practice. 

Congratulations! 
Jani

So just an update.  Week 1 on spiro and estr.  No noticeable changes physically or mentally.  Not discouraged though,  is just week 1. Lol

• Forum Moderator

As you'll find, it's a slow process.  It takes the body a good while to switch around those hormones.  Your 4 week update will be substantially different, I presume.

Susan R?

• 2 months later...

First off, thank you everyone for the warm replies and encouragement.  So now for the good parts. I had my 3 month today, consequently it is also my 45th bday. The appt went amazing. I had a female doctor this visit and I opened up to her almost immediately. I have a problem talking to male doctors. She asked about breast development among other things. I explained to her that it was progressing slowly, but was progressing.  I left the appt with e dose doubled and she added progesterone to my schedule. I am so happy with my progress and I am excited to continue this journey. I did pick up a picture while there that I want to try and share.

20190320_140934.jpg

• Forum Moderator

Happy Birthday!  I'm glad to hear your appointment went well.  Great!  That's a very good picture!  I love the sentiment.  

Don't be so long between posts!!!!

Jani

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   6 Members, 0 Anonymous, 199 Guests (See full list)

• Sally Stone
    • Susie
    • VickySGV
    • violet r
    • Adrianna Danielle
    • Charlize
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

JamesyGreen
    Newest Member
    JamesyGreen

1. Dillon
      Dillon
    2. Kaylee888
      Kaylee888
    3. lily100
      lily100
      (39 years old)
    4. Luce
      Luce
      (44 years old)
    5. Luke.S
      Luke.S
    • MaeBe
      Thank you for continuing to share your story, Sally!   Willa sounded like a grand friend, I'm sorry for your loss. :(
    • Abigail Genevieve
      Not all conservatives are for Trump.  I am far from thrilled he is running.  Just wanted to make that clear.
    • Abigail Genevieve
      Anybody willing to present the case for Trump? Any conservatives out there?
    • MaeBe
      Two words(?): Project 2025   Please provide links to the "political calculus" referred to, I'd be interested to know where this is coming from. It seems odd that anyone would be advocating to vote in a President that has stated that he will try to use the federal government to go after LGBTQ+ people because voting back Biden, that is not doing that, might cause some state legislatures to put forth more discriminatory laws.   LGBTQ+ people are not safe in a MAGA future.
    • Ashley0616
      It's awesome that you have had such a great friend in your life! I could only imagine what losing felt like to you. It's neat that you worked for the airlines. Did you take advantage of the space availability fights? My dad worked for Northwest and always flew every single summer except one where we drove from north Mississippi to Phoenix, AZ. My parents agreed to never do that again lol. 
    • Ashley0616
      The trans community won't be good under Trump at all. Biden is the one who has done more for the trans community than any other presidents. Last time Trump was in office he was at an LGBTQ rally and his support went quickly away from us because the majority of the voters are anti trans. He is going to get rid of our rights and also come after the rest of LGBTQ.  I don't know where you heard we would be better under Trump.    Trump unveils sweeping attack on trans rights ahead of 2024 (axios.com)   Trump Promises to Go After Trans People if Re-Elected (vice.com)   Trump promises to ban transgender women from sports if re-elected (nbcnews.com)
    • Sally Stone
      Post 7 “The Pittsburgh Years” When I retired from the Army, we moved to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania because I had been hired by US Airways to work in their flight training department.  The transition to civilian life was a bit of an adjustment, but I never really looked back.  At the same time, I was excited at the prospect of having more Sally time. But with work and two teenage boys in the house, getting to be Sally was a challenge.    The biggest issue in this regard were my sons, as they didn’t know about my feminine side.  My wife and I discussed, in great detail, whether or not to tell them.  If they had known about Sally, it would have been much easier to actually be Sally when I wanted to.  But I still didn’t know exactly where my transgender journey was going to take me, and this uncertainty was the primary reason my wife and I decided it wasn’t the right time to tell them about Sally.  Except for the convenience it would afford me, we didn’t think it was fair to burdened them with such a sensitive family secret if it wasn’t absolutely necessary.  If at some point things changed and it looked like I might be heading towards transition, my wife and I agreed we would revisit our decision.   Despite having to tiptoe around the boys I was able, with my wife often running interference for me, to significantly increase my girl time.  The nature of my variable work schedule meant that often days off occurred during the week when the boys were in school, and on those days, I took full advantage of the time.  Additionally, I had discovered a new trans friend through a local support group, and my wife, ever and always accommodating, ensured I had time for outings with my new friend.    Willa, my new friend, quickly became my best friend, and after only a short time, she and my wife became quite close as well.  With Willa’s help, I would soon discover that Pittsburgh was a very trans friendly city.  Together, she and I made the town our own.  We attended the theater, the symphony, we went out to dinner regularly, and I think we visited every museum in the city.  With Willa’s support and friendship, I was actually becoming quite the girl about town.    Willa and I had a lot in common.  We loved to shop, we had similar feminine styles, and we had similar views and feelings about being trans.  In fact, our frequent and deep discussions about transgender issues helped me begin to understand my transgender nature.  Having Willa as a springboard for all topics transgender, was probably as effective as regularly visiting a therapist.  I would never discount anyone’s desire to seek professional help, but having an unbiased confidant, can also be an effective method for self-discovery.    Exploring the city as Sally and spending time with Willa was instrumental in helping me understand my transgender nature, and would begin shaping my transgender objective.  My feelings about the kind of girl I was and where I wanted to go began to solidify.  Being out and socializing as Sally in a big city like Pittsburgh, taught me I could express my femininity without issue.  I honestly felt confident I could live my life as a woman; however, remaining completely objective, I just couldn’t see giving up the life I’d built as a man.   At that time, I was being heavily influenced by the concept of the gender binary, which had me thinking I had to choose between being a man or being a woman.  It was Willa who reminded me there were no rules requiring gender identity to be binary.  During one of our deep discussions, she posited the idea of enjoying both genders, something she was doing, and a concept that made a lot of sense to me.  I was already living the life of a part-time woman, so I simply started paying more attention to how that was making me feel.    One characteristic that was dominating my feminine self-expression (and it continues to this day) was that when I was Sally, I was “all in.”  When I became Sally, it was such a complete transformation that I truly felt like a woman.  The feeling was powerful, and if I had to describe it another way, I’d say it was akin to an actor, so into the part, they actually become the character they are portraying.  That was me, and I discovered that this level of depth was extremely fulfilling, and that feeling tended to last long after transitioning back to my male persona.  Part-time womanhood it seemed, was actually working for me.    Eventually, a job change forced me to move away from Pittsburgh, but the enlightenment I experienced while living there has shaped the nature of my bi-gender personality to this day.  Even after leaving, Willa and I remained the best of friends.  We had many more adventures, some of which I will detail in later posts.  Sadly, Willa passed away two-years ago after contracting a prolonged illness.  Her loss was hard to take and I miss her dearly.  However, I have so many fond memories of our times together, and because her support helped shape me, she lives on in my heart.   Hugs,   Sally
    • missyjo
      thank you dear. I'm constantly working at adjusting n writing off other people's judgment or input.   thank you n good luck
    • Abigail Genevieve
      Them's fighting words, but I intend to discuss this respectfully, calmly and so forth, in accordance with the forum rules.   Considering the one issue below in isolation:   There is a political calculus that trans folk may be better off under Trump than under Biden.  The argument goes that Biden has created such a backlash by moving so far to the left that red states, in particular, are reacting with a swarm of laws that negatively impact trans folk.  Some of his actions strike many people as clumsily forcing unwanted regulation on people, and some of his appointments, such as the luggage stealing bigender individual, have not helped advance trans folk but rather the reverse.  In a second term Biden would make things worse for trans folk because of the backlash and resentment his policies would create.    Trump likely would have negative impacts to trans folk, as he did in his first term with respect to the military, so it is a set of tradeoffs as to which is worse.   Thoughts?
    • Abigail Genevieve
      Can you dress androgynously? 
    • Ashley0616
    • Abigail Genevieve
      There are trans folk who pass better than some cis people.  People usually aren't on the lookout for those who are cross dressed.  As long as there are no multiple screaming signals and you don't draw attention to yourself you can probably pass better than you think. For example, if you walk into a bank in heels, however, and you DON'T know how to walk in heels, you will attract the attention of a security guard, especially if you are acting nervous. If you wear flats and just go to the bank and do your business like anyone else, it is likely no one will notice, except that there was a customer who was taller than most women are, but then there are tall women, and tall, broad shouldered woman.  I made the mistake years ago of thinking I had outed such, and knew she was a he.  Later I learned she had five kids, and her husband was bigger than she was.  Ooops.
    • Abigail Genevieve
      I don't know much about CNAs.  They report to an RN, right?  Can you somehow bring this up to the RN in a way that does not get your CNA mad at you? I'm not saying you should, but maybe that is a good course of action.
    • Abigail Genevieve
      This is the thing.  A month ago tomorrow is when I stopped wearing m clothing.  Today I feel great.  I do not have dysphoria when I am dressed as and I move as a woman.  I was just thinking about that because I was wondering if I would or will get hit with a wave of "you don't have dysphoria so you might as well dress like a guy. Less hassle with your wife."  Not that she is aware, to my knowledge, that these androgynous clothes are women's.  No desire to "flip", no feeling of need to, just happy identifying as female.  Speaking, in my deep guy voice, with female voice patterns, doing the feminine gestures that come naturally and without exaggeration and at peace.
    • Birdie
      Yes, my brother was born lactating due to absorbing hormones from my mum.    Of course she isn't a nurse, she is a CNA. She should however still have general medical knowledge.
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.