• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Sign in to follow this  
J_Perra

Final made the commitment.

J_Perra

So I finally called and made an appointment for HRT. I was talking to my therapist and she asked what I was waiting for. After thinking about it for a while, I couldn't come up with a reasonable answer.  So on Jan 4, I have my first appt, yeah me. I think I am going to try for injections. Does anyone have any comments good or bad about that choice?  Thank you in advance and happy holidays.

VickySGV

Going great there.  Why did you wait??  (I think all of us have been that way at some time though.)

Heather L

Yay you! Exciting!

Amy LeBlanc
15 minutes ago, J_Perra said:

So I finally called and made an appointment for HRT. I was talking to my therapist and she asked what I was waiting for. After thinking about it for a while, I couldn't come up with a reasonable answer.  So on Jan 4, I have my first appt, yeah me. I think I am going to try for injections. Does anyone have any comments good or bad about that choice?  Thank you in advance and happy holidays.

Hello:

That is grate news on your appt.  I think everyone has that time when they wait.  It is usually I have noticed that waiting and usually when we think and think and start asking ourselves about doing HRT.

I am currently on injections for estrogen and it works awesome and wonderful.  In my case and everyone is different so everyone responds to the different methods their own way.  I feel in my own opinion that if you are under 40 that the injections are better and easier on the body.  Now this is just my own opinion cause I first started out on patches and had problems with getting my Estrogen number to go up and having problems with the patches staying on.  When I switched to injections, my estrogen started going up and everything started to feel good.

In the end, the choice is yours if you want injections, patches, pills, creams and make sure to ask your doctor about each one and have them tell you about all the effects that each method will do.

Lots of Love

Amy 

Susan R

Congrats on making the hard choice for yourself, J_Perra.  I first began thinking about getting on HRT late last year (2017).  After much mental debate with myself and time with my therapist, I finally set up the appointment 9 mos. later in mid Sept. and had to wait about 10 grueling days for the date to arrive (Sept.25).  I was scared but happy and excited too.  After the visit, I felt like I was on an adrenaline high for two days.  It was one of the best decisions of my life.  I'm on tablet form but whichever method you choose, I'm sure you'll enjoy the changes.

Best of luck and happy holidays!

Susan R🌷

J_Perra
1 hour ago, VickySGV said:

Going great there.  Why did you wait??  (I think all of us have been that way at some time though.)

Honestly,  scared and ashamed. I didn't think people could accept me,  so I couldn't accept myself. But then I wound up with an awesome girlfriend who did accept me for me.  She has helped me to understand that i am ok.

VickySGV
1 hour ago, J_Perra said:

She has helped me to understand that i am ok.

All of us have reasons that we waited, and I did too but "its complicated" as people say.  You and all of us are OK although it is tough for us and those we know to really grasp that.  I am very glad you have someone in your life who sees it that way.

Carolyn Marie

Congrats on your decision, J!  It's an exciting journey and the wait for your body to start changing, not to mention your brain, will be fun to experience.

I would talk over the choices for HRT with your doctor.  There are medical reasons as well as practical ones to consider, and they're all important.  The medical risks vary depending on whether you have per-existing conditions, and what those are.  Patches are generally the safest, pills in the middle, and shots the most, but those are generalities.  As for the practical reasons, those are cost and what your insurance company will cover, if any.  There is plenty of good info on the Web to look at, including the WPATH Standards of Care.  Good luck!

Carolyn Marie

J_Perra

So,  I was talking my daughter to see my mom for christmas today.  I was playing heads or tails in my mind over whether to say anything about this to them. As it turns out, my mother opened up the conversation with I need to cut my hair.  Go figure!  So I pulled her aside and explained to get what I was going through,  with a lot of fear and apprehension.  Needless to say it went better than expected.  She said she is disappointed, which I expected,  but that she wouldn't love me any less.  Such a relief to have told her though. I feel it puts me one step closer having confused in her. 

J_Perra

Sorry for so the typos above. Fat finger syndrome.  Lol

Josie Beth
Just now, J_Perra said:

Sorry for so the typos above. Fat finger syndrome.  Lol

I usually have the opposite problem and automatic spelling correction changes words on me without my consent... lol

Susan R
31 minutes ago, J_Perra said:

As it turns out, my mother opened up the conversation with I need to cut my hair.  Go figure!  So I pulled her aside and explained to get what I was going through,  with a lot of fear and apprehension.  Needless to say it went better than expected. 

Congrats on this!  That takes some serious courage. And I agree that this is one of many coming milestones along your journey and a very difficult one on top of that.  What a relief too, I bet.  Thank you for sharing this update.  I love good news like this!

Susan R🌷

Jani
On 12/22/2018 at 9:20 PM, J_Perra said:

Honestly,  scared and ashamed. I didn't think people could accept me,  so I couldn't accept myself.

This is normal so don't fret!  Maybe some won't.  That's OK.  Accept yourself and thats all you need.  Then you can look beyond yourself to others.  

As to injections, pills or patches... talk to your doctor and work out the best approach for your personal health, your goals and your lifestyle.   I'm on patches and they work great for me.  

Cheers! 
Jani

J_Perra

Well, my appt was today at 3. I was so nervous my BP was high. Lol it went very well. I was so surprised by how easy they made it feel. After 20 minutes and some questions,  I got my meds. Relief immediately set in. The Dr said should have scrip filed tomorrow,  but on the way home, I got the text that it was ready.  Just took my first dose.  Yeah for me!  Tomorrow is before hand picture day.  Lol

Susan R
8 minutes ago, J_Perra said:

Well, my appt was today at 3. I was so nervous my BP was high.

I feel for you!  It is such a huge milestone getting to that point, it physically affects you.

When I went to "THE" visit in which I was to get my first script for HRT it went the same way as yours.  I had planned for the appointment "it seemed" days before because I wanted to make sure everything was going to go well.  Before the appt., everything was going great but right after getting onto the freeway I realized I had forgot my wallet.  I finally arrived 3 mins late and breathing hard.  I got right in and one the first things they did was take my vitals.  My blood pressure was very high.  It was something like 154/84.  After an hour or so, I was OK'd for scripts.  I was so happy and relaxed.  I decided to ask if the nurse if she could retake my BP.  She did.  It was 124/82 which is about where I am normally.  So I can totally relate to your experience.

Glad it went well,

Susan R🌷

Jani
1 hour ago, J_Perra said:

Well, my appt was today at 3. I was so nervous my BP was high. Lol it went very well. I was so surprised by how easy they made it feel.

Me too!  I recall commenting that mine was way high.  I was told to relax and be calm.  My visit went well and I love the people that see me at the practice. 

Congratulations! 
Jani

J_Perra

So just an update.  Week 1 on spiro and estr.  No noticeable changes physically or mentally.  Not discouraged though,  is just week 1. Lol

Susan R

As you'll find, it's a slow process.  It takes the body a good while to switch around those hormones.  Your 4 week update will be substantially different, I presume.

Susan R🌷

Rachael

Congratulations. For me it took about 5-6 weeks to notice the changes.enjoy the journey.