• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Sign in to follow this  
Josie Beth

Coping with self harm

Josie Beth

I used to be soooo depressed at times in my life that I would hurt myself in various ways. I’d get drunk and burn myself, sometimes cut myself, and even attempted band castration but backed out after a day. I never saw a therapist for it, didn’t know who to talk to, and eventually I distracted myself with other busy things in life until one day I decided to look at myself truthfully and not judge myself as badly. The feelings passed and I realized that if I continued to harm myself and hate myself, I would probably not live to see what was on the other side of my struggle. This didn’t happen overnight or even immediately. It took years of up and down roller coaster emotional episodes to cope. Was I always alone in those times? No, sometimes I would latch onto people just as broken as myself. That just became an unhealthy method of deflection and projection. When I finally got it, I was stripped of everything and everyone and had to face myself. Maybe it was partially due to an external threat that made me want to live, or maybe I was just distracted again by going through a rough spot that I needed to climb out of. I’m not sure really. What I do know now is I made it to the other side of self hate, and those feelings passed for the most part. Now that I know what the underlying issue is, and I know what I have to do to make it right, which is transition, I want to live to see myself become who I always knew I was. That drives me more than anything superficial or external. I don’t recommend not seeking help if you need it because I consider myself fortunate. I just hope that my story can help someone who is going through a similar experience. It’s not over as long as you are alive, and you can learn and grow past the difficult things in life. There’s always a light in the distance, and you can reach it even if it seems like you can’t. It may not be the last tunnel, and won’t be the last glimmer of hope either. It’s not about finally arriving, it’s about working to get there and enjoying the golden nuggets we discover instead of dwelling on the negative things. It works if you work it, so work it girl! 

SugarMagnolia

What a great attitude, Josie! Self acceptance and self love is so important and yet so difficult for us at times. ❤️

Josie Beth

I’m very hard on myself more often than not. It’s taken a while to just accept that the life other people wanted to stuff me into was not me at all, and even now I’m feeling fake as I get ready for work, but some day I will be able to look back and be amazed at how far I’ve gotten. That’s why I wake up and go through the charade, because it’s part of getting to where I want to be. Are there still issues? Yeah, I’m a basket case sometimes, but I’m also someone full of love and charm who wants to give and receive that. I believe that’s why I’m still breathing, so I can share that part of myself with no masks. 

Jennifer Paige

Bravo, Josie!

It's always that balance between saying, "That's it, I'm out of here," and "Thank you, this was a good day."  I never thought I'd see all of my gender stuff as being a Gift, but I've taken it as one.  Since I started doing that, the "Thank you's" have increased even if the self-loathing is still there.  (I'm working on that.)  We take back our lives one little step, one little event, one little word at a time.  When we look back, the book we've written, the life we've lived, is the record of all of those little actions.

While I'm not a particular fan of Oprah, there's a quote attributed to her:  "Do what you have to do until you can do what you want to do."

You're not fake living your life today, even if it isn't what you want.  It's food, clothing, and shelter.  It's how you enable the other things you want.  I'm sitting at a desk, in between writing programs to process data, taking a quick break.  I'm in jeans and a button down oxford.  I'd rather be in a skirt and blouse; that's not gonna happen.  What will happen is that I'll work on setting up my next fashion shoot where I can be my girly self while working with a beautiful young woman.  Is it perfect?  It's what I can do.  While everyone else sees photos showing I've spent time working with hot women, what I've really done is work with nice, pretty, bright young women playing dress up with pretty clothes and makeup, either on the street or in the studio.

Here's a closing thought.  There's a book called "Big Magic" by Elizabeth Gilbert.  It's a great book!  In it she talks about the life of the trickster versus the martyr.  Below is a link to an essay from her on the topic.  Because of her, I've changed my life outlook to that of the trickster.  I'm tired of hating myself because I like pretty, girly clothes.  They're just clothes!!!  And yes, I'd love to be a girl clear down to the genes!  But this is what I've got, this is what I am, this is my situation, this is the hand I've been dealt.  Now what can I do with it?  I'm given a lemon, and I return with a lemon print sun dress.  :D

Be good to yourself, Josie!

https://www.elizabethgilbert.com/its-better-to-be-a-trickster-than-a-martyr-i-recently-did-a-radio-interview-o/

Josie Beth

Thanks Jennifer. I’m finding my way. It’s far from perfect but I realized today how much people like me. I decided to flirt on a particular app earlier and yes some of it was banal, but it was fun and one of the guys was actually quite gentlemanly. I realize it’s somewhat superficial and of course a -excited- man will say anything, but there was some sincerity there that took me off guard. Especially when I revealed I don’t pass yet and he was still interested. Sure there were some awkward questions, which I answered as gracefully as possible, but none of my answers were met with objections or any attempt to change my mind. That’s refreshing. Most men want to use a battering ram to make me do what they want. This guy is perfectly content drawing the seduction game out to increase the attraction. I can’t say that it’s going to definitely work out that we meet or even hook up but I’m having fun in the meantime. Maybe in a month or so I can dip my toes in the water. He’s surprisingly mature for a guy 20 years younger than me. So maybe he’ll be a boy toy, maybe not. 

Anyway, with all the ups and downs lately that was a nice change of pace. 

I decided that tomorrow I’m going to try to visit the local Glo Center and find out what they have to offer. I’m not expecting much but maybe they can help point me in some meaningful directions. I really can’t wait for 3 more weeks to get informed about what services are available around here. Plus they probably have a better idea about what businesses support trans people and how to go about navigating some of the more difficult steps I have to take. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Who's Online   12 Members, 0 Anonymous, 17 Guests (See full list)

• Charlize
    • Bad
    • RithiaAllen
    • Michelle F
    • Amy LeBlanc
    • Naomi Knowles
    • MaryEllen
    • JametB0223
    • Jani
    • Cyndee
    • jae bear
    • DeeDee
  • Who Was Online

110 Users were Online in the Last 48 Hours
    • Charlize
    • Bad
    • RithiaAllen
    • Michelle F
    • Amy LeBlanc
    • Naomi Knowles
    • MaryEllen
    • JametB0223
    • Jani
    • Cyndee
    • Heather L
    • jae bear
    • DeeDee
    • figuringitout
    • MaryMary
    • Tessa
    • jo_g
    • DemiBeth
    • Ashlee
    • Kole Rickard
    • Brie
    • MelissaAndProudOfIt
    • SaraAW
    • Kirsten
    • MarcieMarie12
    • Stephanie P
    • Nicolas
    • Jocelyn
    • Alexin
    • Dag
    • Josie Beth
    • Clara84
    • tracy_j
    • Susan R
    • Petra Jane
    • VickySGV
    • Elliott
    • Carolyn Marie
    • EvanC
    • Beverly
    • **Angela Charlotte **
    • NancyAL
    • SharkGirl98
    • Susan
    • Arya
    • jennaliz72
    • KymmieL
    • Leo
    • Rachael
    • Willa
    • Ronin82
    • Willow
    • Adaline
    • Cameron
    • mdj
    • nitehwk
    • Sharon Aml
    • jamesjn
    • Marbabar
    • NewLife336
    • KC
    • Hellothere
    • Jennifer T
    • Carla68
    • Terry
    • Dakota16
    • FalknerNessa98
    • SugarMagnolia
    • carol
    • yeshomonoromo
    • Makayla Danielle
    • Donna Lynne
    • ConfusedPerson
    • Timber Wolf
    • Robin
    • Dani1
    • jjmb5744
    • Briana
    • Linde
    • StarlessSkye
    • Elizabeth61
    • JohnniGyrl
    • Rebecca Lynn
    • SandraBear
    • Djorkus
    • Amanda
    • MicahKj
    • kels1986
    • missricka
    • Kaydan
    • Lacemagic77
    • StrainAsylum
    • HeatherCristina
    • Astrid
    • The5thLetter
    • waterfall
    • Zedarius
    • My name isn’t Megan
    • Nicks1
    • ChickenLittle
    • Cat Lady Kelly
    • Maid In Bedlam
    • DV
    • JJ
    • Rowan
    • Evelyn1992
    • jo jo
    • Snow Princess Sophie
    • Wyattrans123
    • Miss Linnea
  • Topics With Zero Replies

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

SharkGirl98
    Newest Member
    SharkGirl98

1. Callie40
      Callie40
      (44 years old)
    • Charlize
      I think we all have times of looking at life more as a chore than as a joy.  I know i have those times.  I've found that it is easier to get through them if i share.  I've also learned that if think of things i'm grateful for rather than my disappointments my mood does improve.  i read one story recently about a woman who does the alphabet thing of things to be grateful for for each letter.   A......animals, alive,  B......butter, bread, bright  etc.  It's harder than it seems but seems to brighten my day.   Big Hugs,   Charlize
    • Jani
      I listened to There and Back last night at dinner.  Good tunes! 
    • Charlize
      Welcome Janet.  Thank you for sharing.  I felt much as you describe and found help i needed from others here. You are not alone.   Hugs,   Charlize
    • Jani
      We're here to support each other dear.  It certainly goes both ways and you are special.   Jani
    • RithiaAllen
      I  weighed myself several times over the course of last night and this morning. For a change seems to be more steady in its estimate after I finally managed to get it to properly calibrate itself. Also there are four sensors on it so if you are not dead center it can cause the weight to be lower then centered which I think caused it to inaccurate. The odd pattern on it appears to be a indicator for where to put the heel of your foot. So while still just an estimate because it’s not a beam scale. I am tempted to get one but I don’t really need that level of accuracy. I just need something that will be consistent to help me track trends so I can respond accordingly.   This log while I build confidence in the scale shows the fluctuations of weight in the day. All I’m looking for here is did it go up when I eat and drink and does it come down over time but not so much where it is a fairy tale. It matches the changes over time that I have come to expect.   1700 hours: 200 pounds (whatever gain from lunch was left plus three bottles of water through the day)
      1800 hours: 201.1 pounds (dinner and a bottle of water)
      2200 hours: 200.2 pounds (going to bed)
      0630 hours: 198.6 pounds (getting ready for work)   So my weigh in has broken past the 199 barrier. This makes my weight loss in the last seven days ~4.4 pounds.   Yesterday I burned 3421 calories and ingested 1502 calories and drank 40 Oz of water. To burn the calories I jogged 4 miles and walked an additional 4.4 miles.
    • JametB0223
      Hi Ladies,  my name is Janet and I have been reading post and topics for the past week on here and have just recently joined.   I have been CD on and off since I was a young adult and when I was married I buried deep.  Up to here recently since I am disabled and divorced has the desire come back to dress once again.    The relieve part is I can dress fully and don’t worry about being caught by anyone. But the guilts or confused part is.    I have went and bought gaffs, breast forms and etc. i really don’t have no desire to get up in the morning in man mode. I get up shower , shave and dress full female mode.  If I got to go out running errands it still female under garments because I have yet to go out full female attire.      Just had to get this off my mind because the desire to be full female 100% and not male is concerning.    Thanks for the opportunity to let this out   Janet
    • Tessa
      Thank you. Because you like them here are some more. These pieces are to show courage. In the first one I chose pink because I wanted to show she was fighting for love.    Second piece she has a pink wolf. A wolf is suppose to be a vicious animal but when tamed my love it becomes a girl’s best friend.    Last piece I chose blue and red (red is my favorite color) Blue is for male and red is for female. The two are mixed but present together bring about harmony and strength.   I can’t take credit for the picture but I was the one who colored it. Enjoy!    Love   Tessa👩‍🦳
    • jo_g
      That's true, thanks.  I think I'll give them a call, but am hoping it'll be OK to shave sooner rather than later. 😂
    • jo_g
      Great news! Super happy for you.
    • MarcieMarie12
      Hi Jo-g, I will add everyones experience with laser and electrolysis is a bit different. I went through laser without lidocaine,. But for electrolysis I needed it since it took for ever. I did not worry about my body hair, as with HRT it turnedo ut less than most cis girls.   In regards to the not shaving, I was not told that in regards to laser for myself. But I can see they might have a reason for it. From not irritating the skin, to seeing how effective the treatment is. Your technician may also be worried about scarring. But in the end asking them about will tell you more, as they might also be trying to gauge the effectiveness of things.
    • SaraAW
      Naomi, I feel your pain. No matter how many different directions I shave in, I have a permanent very dark shadow. Within a couple of hours, you can use my face like coarse sand paper.  I’m torn between starting laser or electrolysis. Most of my hair is still really dark, with just a few patches of gray.    As for body hair, shaving or even using depilatories leaves me with insane ingrown hairs. I’ve actually started plucking chest hair to help with the GD, but it takes for ever. I might try waxing.    I wish you all luck in the quest for smooth hair free skin.    *hugs*
    • Naomi Knowles
      A second hand makeup manual that I picked up some time ago suggests that liquids like mascara and liquid foundation are good for about 6 months, while pressed powders and the like should be good for up to 2 years with proper storage (though it bears frequently checking their viability during that time).
    • SaraAW
      They look great. Well done!
    • DeeDee
      Gosh Jackie that sounds like a genuine epiphany moment! It is not a bad thing to be able to forgive hurt, this world would be a much better and safer place if others could be as big hearted as you seem to be  
    • DeeDee
      Hi Lexi, pleased to meet you. I have found the friendliness, knowledge and support of people here to be invaluable!  
  • Upcoming Events