• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kavana

Is my name gender neutral?

Kavana

I am unsure whether my given name, Kavana is gender neutral, and whether a possible name, Indra is gender neutral also. Wondering whether I should change.

Briana

Hi Kavana and welcome to the forum.  I'm gonna have to say I don't know.  We all come at names from somewhat of a cultural perspective.  I honestly have never met anyone nor know of anyone by either of those names.  So for me, I don't really have a frame of reference for them like I do for typical or traditional Angelo based names.  I like both of them though so I'm sayin ya can't go wrong with either.  🙂 

Jani

Hi.  I also don't know about Kavana but seeing how it ends with an "a" I would assume it was feminine if I heard it.  As to Indra, I have know several women with that name.  But I don't know its genesis so it may be masculine as well.  

Please pop over to the Intro sub-forum and post a short introduction so we can meet you!

Jani

DeeDee
1 hour ago, Kavana said:

Kavana is gender neutral, and whether a possible name, Indra is gender neutral also.

Hi Kavana I would have to agree that culture plays a huge part in the perception of names, in the UK we have Kavanagh or Kavanaugh which is a surname of Irish origin, Caomhánach in Irish Gaelic and that is more associated as masculine when used as a first name. For example here Alex would be neutral as it could be either, but Alexa or Alexandra would be feminine and Alexander would be masculine. Indra is a good one, but with my friend circle would instantly become Indie because we use variations as terms of endearment all the time!

Josie Beth

Either one sounds beautiful. Kavana sounds exotic. Sort of sounds like cabana, a Spanish word for little house. In Hebrew it literally means "intention" or "sincere feeling, direction of the heart". Indra is the name of a warrior woman on the tv series “the 100” and I’m pretty certain it’s also a Hindu name too.

Kavana

Yeah, it is Hindu and Kavana actually is too. Kavana is actually my given name, not a name of choice.

Jani

So you could use variations on this depending upon how you wish to present.  Think Kav, Kai, Kavi, Kay...

Jani