• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Shaving products?

Josie Beth

Ok, so... it’s going to be a few months before I can even think about hair removal. I’m pretty meticulous about making sure I have a decent money cushion going on before embarking on large purchases. So in the meantime I’m going to have to resort to shaving (ugh) but it’s a necessary evil for now anyway. I’m looking for shaving cream that is good for skin but also helps keep it from growing as fast. I keep hearing about aveeno products but some women have said it can irritate skin. I’m also going to have to break down and get a back shaver for some sparse back hair that is really starting to irritate me because it tickles me constantly. I hate having the creepy crawlies. I found a really good one on amazon so that’s doable and on my wishlist. Any other tips besides laser or electrolysis? I’m going to get it soon but need a more immediate solution. My leg hairs are not any worse than most women but my torso and face are two areas I need to keep at bay. Surprisingly my torso hairs are soft and the stubble is not as prickly as my legs can get but my face and neck can feel like sandpaper pretty fast. Not very lady like. And in 15 years it’s gotten worse than it was back then. Also I like to keep hair on the “Venus mound” so I’m interested in any ideas to keep that hair soft and silky. It’s not bad but keeping it healthy looking is something Important. I’m also concerned about ingrown hairs. How to take care of them and prevent them. 

As long as its a sensitive shaving foam you should be alright, I use cheap razors because I need to shave pretty much every other day and was quickly going broke. I would say invest in a good and giant tub of moisturising cream for afterwards though. x

• Admin
4 hours ago, Josietg said:

Aveeno products but some women have said it can irritate skin.

I have HAD TO use Aveeno products because of my skin being as sensitive as it is.  Oatmeal, which is the basic ingredient of Aveeno is a wonderful thing for soothing skin that is razor burned or even sunburned unless YOU are allergic to oats or oatmeal.  The woman's comment surprises me.   The female moisturizing shaving creams do a very good job as far as face and legs go.  I use a general purpose bath oil for chest and underarm hair, or on occasion I will use regular Soft Soap liquid soap that I just slather on to shave there.  The lower abdomen hair can be handled by -- guess what -- creme rinse hair conditioner!!  My caution is to be ready for stubble irritation is you shave that area.,  

Sadie I have a huge bottle of moisturizer healing lotion with vitamins in it, some generic brand but good stuff. It was a gift from a former neighbor lady. I wonder if she could tell I’m transgender? Anyway, it works well. Skin stays moist for hours. I think almost all day and it’s winter so I’m surprised my skin is not drying out as bad. 

Vicky, my problem areas are not my abdominal hairs but anything near the bikini area, especially near the creases. Thanks for the tips on using oil, soft soap and conditioner. Sounds promising. I’m using a men’s razor, the Gillette Mach 3. Very close shave. I tried the aveeno out today and I’ve never had a closer shave on my face. It’s smoother than my legs were yesterday. I’m not allergic to oatmeal, happily, because I love it in the winter with fruit and berries. Reminds me I forgot to get peaches and berries. It can wait until tomorrow. I’m in my comfy sweats. 

• Admin
18 minutes ago, Josietg said:

abdominal hairs but anything near the bikini area,

I was referring to that area, just trying to be discreet!!  Ahem!! 

I see three different main points here, so I'll give my two cents to them one by one.

All of the best products for sensitive skin are in my experience old-fashioned shaving soap or cream that you need to lather up yourself. Some of them are scented with chemicals, stay away from them. Natural products are the way to go. Anything that comes in an aerosol can is bound to irritate your skin too.

There are also pre-shave lotions that can help. But it's not just about which products you use, it's also about what you do. It's important to thoroughly wash the entire area immediately before shaving. Warming the skin up to open up the pores is also important - that takes a bit more time than a quick wash. Some people recommend warming up with a hot towel for several minutes. After shaving you should also rinse with cold water to close the pores.

I don't believe there's anything that keeps hair from growing back other than either hormones or laser, electrolysis etc.

Finally about ingrown hair - the only definite solution I know for that is to permanently remove the culprits. I used to have lots of ingrown hair on my neck, now I only have smooth skin where it used to be. It's one of many reasons why I'm happy that I got started with laser hair in that area.

I’ve not had any issues with my neck but anything ingrown is under clothing and not that bad really. I’m not very versed on pre shaving moisturizers but I do warm up my skin before shaving. I usually only chill my face but it’s a little cold to take a cold shower after shaving everything else. Maybe a washcloth with cold water? Aveeno has not irritated my skin yet so I’m pleased with it. It claims to reduce growth and it seems like that’s a valid claim. It’s been 2 days and I’m just now considering shaving again for a couple of spots but not the whole face. Surprising results.! I have yet to test it on the rest of me. I guess moisturizers will be a new google search. Thanks for the tips ladies!

I use handwash with built in moisturisers instead of shaving foam.    It has far more moisturisers than the par average shaving foam and as a result is far kinder to the skin.  I've noticed that a a variety of shaving foam can make the skin sore...the foam alone and even more sore on being shaved.

I’m going to try several different things out before settling on one. Shaving oil has some merits. I don’t use the foam but the lotion gel, because it goes on easier, less messy, and has moisturizer built in. However I’m also on a budget so any way I can save money is a plus. Thanks Melissa!

• 2 months later...

Thanks for all this. It helps alot.  I will have to check out Aveeno. Any particular product I should use?

I have been using a five blade system someone suggested. The cartridges seem to last longer and work very well on the face and everywhere.

The only problem I have is the redness from shaving. Someone suggested Witch Hazel, so I have started using it.

• Forum Moderator

Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion works well.  I typically smear a little lotion on then wet my fingers to spread it about so its thinner.  You do have to rinse your razor frequently but this is a good idea anyway.   After you've rinsed your face apply a little more to moisturize the area you've shaved.  This should help with redness.    

• 1 month later...

Alright. I bought the Aveeno moisturizer lotion and use that to shave with. Before that I use an oatmeal based brown bar soap on my face and the hot towel method. After shaving I use Witch Hazel all over face and apply moisturizer before makeup. Less redness and stinging. I am impressed.

I have had issues with ingrown hairs ever since I started removing my body hair. I’ve tried different products, but none have worked. Maybe it’s cause I have curly hair. A friend recommended 99% Aloe Vera, but I found 100% Aloe Vera and it works!

i use it especially after showers and when I use my Epilator. I also moisturize my skin with lotion to keep my skin soft, but without my Aloe, none of this would ever work.

I also recommend to always exfoliate your skin everyday if possible. I use exfoliating gloves and sometimes I use an exfoliating brush. Soak the exfoliating brush in warm water and then apply soap, so it’s it doesn’t feel as rough on the skin. 

3 hours ago, LouiseRose1954 said:

What Epilator do you use and does it really work?

Hi! I have been using the Braun Silk-épil 9 for years. And Yes it works really well. It is a cordless, wet/dry epilator, but I have chosen to use it dry because I found it loses its strength in less than a year when I have used it in the water constantly.

That is unfortunate, and can be costly to buy one yearly, but now that I have been using one without water, it has been going strong without showing any signs of weakening, and I looooove using it cause I hate having hair on my body. I can use it anytime I want, vs. having to paying for wax, laser, or electrolysis. If I could afford laser hair removal I would use laser of course, but until then I will use my epilator. Additionally, I can use it anywhere I go, like I did yesterday at the hotel I’m staying while I’ve been traveling. 

• 8 months later...

There are a few products to prevent ingrown hairs to try, both natural and commercial mixes. I have not tried anything commercial as I prefer natural options if they work. I will likely add 100 % aloe to my regime. For now I use a commercial organic exfoliator product before shaving and a mid line moisturizer as a shaving product. I currently use an expensive straight razor or an expensive shavette. Immediately after shaving I use apple cider vinegar. It hurts any nicks or cuts. Other natural options are: 

Tea tree oil

Witch hazel

Aloe vera

Lemon juice

Baking soda

Ice

Exfoliate. I will be making a sugar scrub myself with  brown sugar as it can be used frequently (researching says up.to 4x a week which is enough for me because I don't have time to shave everything everyday and cycle what I do shave daily)

On hrt for a little over a month and all my hairs are finer and softer.  I have been shaving my whole body every three days in a hot shower using Caress moisturizing bar soap.  I then lotion my entire body seconds after I tamp a towel to dry off.  I use a Gillette men’s 5 blade.  Mach 5 I believe.  
I use Two razors, a similar razor for my face so I can keep one in my shower and one at the sink.  I still use a men’s Edge Gel type shaving cream, the purple cap designates it a moisturizing gel in the can.  I lotion my face afterwards with a 24 hour men’s Gold Bond lotion.  I forget what’s in it but she’s butter is one ingredient.  I am not to a makeup stage yet in my transition and I shave my face daily.  
This seems to work well for me but you other girls have some interesting ideas and products I need to try out.  Thank you.  

Thankfully I was born with very little hair to begin with. I tend to use 2 different shaving creams and 2 different razors. The first shaving cream is a Gillette Women's moisturizing shaving cream and Men's Gillette Mach 3 turbo razor for face, underarms and legs. For my intimate areas a shaving gel called Coochy works well combined with a Venus ladies razor for those areas.

Josie,

Quite by accident I discovered a wonderful product for shaving the face.  I use VO5 Hot Oil Treatment, and now swear by it.  My wife uses it regularly on her hair, so it was always in the shower caddy.  So, I tried it and it turned out to be amazing.  Clearly, it is made for softening hair, but it also lubricates the skin better than any other product I've ever tried, and believe me, over the years, I've tried many.  I have pretty sensitive skin and this stuff really makes for an irritation free shave.  

Hugs,

Sally

• Forum Moderator
8 hours ago, Sally Stone said:

Quite by accident I discovered a wonderful product for shaving the face.  I use VO5 Hot Oil Treatment, and now swear by it.

I’ll have to try this product.  My facial skin can get so dry if I skip even one evening of putting on a moisturizer on my face after removing my makeup and applying a facial cleanser.

Thanks for the tip,

Susan R?