• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Sign in to follow this  
emilia4

Enduring Relationships - Happy Stories

emilia4

I usually prepare for the worst, but hope for the best.

For years, I have struggled with finding good reference points (i.e. happy stories), relationship wise, where one of the partners comes out as trans.  As far as I know, such unions normally fall apart.  I also know that every relationship is different, and what happened to other people may not happen to me.  However, I was always adamant on finding these happy stories.

The thought of the break up with the love of my life is and has been the single reason for not going through with my transition.  I am scared and always have been.  I know how much hurt and pain my transition will induce on my partner.  I am and always has been seeking real life stories (on Youtube, news, or stories) where despite one person's transition, the couple stayed together and sometimes even gotten stronger. I still consider these far and few, and relatively hard to find.

If you start typing different keywords into Google or Youtube around this topic, you are bound to get many hits, but most would not be your worth.  After eons of research, I feel obliged to share two of my favourite videos on the topic of enduring relationships during and post transition.

The two links below are 6 years apart and from two different women, but they both, in their own ways, talk about how their relationship changed, but ultimately survived, the transition.  I do not personally know either of them, but both seem like nice ladies.

Charlotte W - Relationships now I'm out as transgender - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHKVc5jVRQ8

MTF Transition VLOG 3 Marriage, Family & Transition - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqGyRbWqdtM

If anyone has any other videos of similar nature, not hypothetical scenarios, but real life positive stories - please share them!

Charlize

Emilia i certainly shared your desire not to loose the woman i loved when i transitioned.  Fear of separation and loss filled my thoughts.  That was most likely one reason i transitioned late in life.  I was 63 when i transitioned and we had been married for 40+ years.  This spring it will be 47 and we're still together....perhaps closer than ever.  It hasn't been easy but honesty in a relationship can be as hard as it can be rewarding.

It may well have been that if we were younger when i came out she would have left me.

My gender therapist was quite helpful in finding a path with my family.

Hugs,

Charlize

Cyndee

Hi, I've been married for 33 years, and together for 35. I told my wife to be about myself, the best I knew then before we were married, that simple honesty, paid dividends into the future. Here we are still together, the relationship changed, it's not the same as it used to be, we are more like sisters today. I've heard others mention, the rate in which couples stay together with one transitioning partner is increasing over the past decade or so. I've met a number of couples still together personally.

It's possible, with a lot of listening, empathy, and of course love. Best of luck to you Emilia.

Hugs

C -

Kirsten

Simply search through our members and you’ll find plenty of stories of couples that stay together through a transition. My own being one. I’m 40 and my wife is 38. We have been together for 9 years this February. In the time leading up to my transition things were going downhill. My personal issues with who I was were getting in the way of me being able to share myself and my life with anyone let alone my wife. 

Since transition I have had a lot of instances that have maybe made me think a bit about if our relationship will make it. But it has. And it truly is much much stronger today than it has ever been before.

Nobody will ever know if they’re going to be together forever, but one thing I have come to terms with is the fact that if my wife and I were to separate it wouldn’t be because of transition. It would be because we aren’t meant to be together. And I don’t know anything that would ever break our bond. We love each other totally fully and completely. She is my best friend. And I am hers. 

The one thing that changed my mind about transitioning was the fact that I was lying to the one person I loved every day. That is not something you do with those that you love. You can’t share yourself with someone if you’re not being honest with them. They deserve to know the truth. They deserve to have the opportunity to be happy and so do you. But that comes from being honest and true. 

Josie Beth

This is so true. Since confronting myself and realizing I was not being true to myself and my significant others, I finally realized that was why I continued to fail with relationships. I do long for that closeness but I’m not ready for it yet til I’m living my truth in full. The next time I’m coupled I want it to be forever so that means no secrets. I can point to so many examples of things that go wrong and it usually means that there are secrets being held back by one person or the other. Often it leads to tragedy. Truth is the only way. I’m happy for anyone who has found a partner that can be 100% honest with them and vice versa. That’s not exactly the norm in any kind of relationship. But when you find that it’s golden. Best wishes to everyone who is happy with their partner. Love is a wonderful thing.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Who's Online   2 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

• tracy_j
    • Petra Jane
  • Who Was Online

96 Users were Online in the Last 48 Hours
    • tracy_j
    • Petra Jane
    • VickySGV
    • Susan
    • Kayla christine
    • Petit nain des Îles
    • hmillerrr
    • Carolyn Marie
    • Ashlee
    • wolf055
    • 0715deejay
    • Leo
    • Amy LeBlanc
    • LouiseRose1954
    • EvanC
    • KymmieL
    • jae bear
    • EliAtkins
    • DaveMK
    • Susan R
    • Dakota16
    • nitehwk
    • Ceres
    • claire1000
    • Jani
    • Sandra6sandy9sand
    • Snow Princess Sophie
    • Dyllan Rey
    • Josie Beth
    • Kirsten
    • Micah Claussen
    • pelos
    • Ronin82
    • MaryEllen
    • Michelle F
    • Danielle.Silk
    • DeeDee
    • NewLife336
    • SugarMagnolia
    • Cyndee
    • Nicks1
    • RithiaAllen
    • Rachael
    • Willow
    • AsTheCrow
    • Evelyn1992
    • Sharon Aml
    • MaryMary
    • Nera Blackraven
    • paige_40s
    • CallMeKai
    • figuringitout
    • Jordy
    • Makayla2019
    • JJ
    • ERCLVRB18
    • jo_g
    • Lost&Confused
    • Jocelyn
    • killjoyaiden
    • Willa
    • BrandiBri
    • Dev
    • MelissaAndProudOfIt
    • sara albert
    • BillieS
    • mxophie
    • Charlize
    • Darlene7139
    • SaraAW
    • SandraBear
    • dianeT68
    • Camie
    • BrandenLeon
    • Timber Wolf
    • SaraOlivia
    • Janeshannon
    • klb046
    • April
    • Adaline
    • Confused202
    • L0gan
    • Beverly
    • Marcia
    • Martyn
    • Terry
    • Maid In Bedlam
    • Kat1218
    • DashRavens
    • Briana
    • kaye the grey
    • davey_duder
    • Chrissy69
    • Jojo
    • Miss Linnea
    • Sarahnr1
  • Topics With Zero Replies

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

0715deejay
    Newest Member
    0715deejay

1. Michelle*cd
      Michelle*cd
      (63 years old)
    2. Mohairfan1956
      Mohairfan1956
      (63 years old)
    • wolf055
      I found some thank you so much fo your help
    • Carolyn Marie
      https://deadline.com/2019/02/lupe-clip-rafael-albarran-lucerys-medina-andre-phillips-charles-vuolo-1202559805/     Carolyn Marie
    • Josie Beth
      I’d like to check them out but unfortunately their website is either outdated or not mobile friendly. I can’t navigate the site or download the pdf. It’s also refusing to let me see the map for some reason. 
    • Jani
      If you Google "breast prosthetics" you should be able to find a number of shops in the UK.    
    • Josie Beth
      Oh the tragedy of people who are so eager to fall on their own swords. Do they not realize the insanity of their behavior?
    • Susan R
      My wife and I battle with this too.  Neither of us want to lose our kids or grandkids.  We know it's likely going to come out sometime soon and we are accepting that fact more every day.  The unpredictability of it all makes it so hard to get up one day and say, "Well, looks like today's the day!"  We acknowledge the path I'm on is never going to change but are hoping to postpone the inevitable until it's absolutely necessary.   Jay, I hope all goes well with the other side of your family.  I'm sure it will go well.   Susan R🌷
    • wolf055
      now I need help again as I asked about my breasts and the GP said they will take time to come in and I my to have them enlarged so I just want some advice is there anywhere to get a pair of false ones till mine come in as at the moment im using some I made with desert rice
    • Susan R
      Hi gang,  no good news this week to report.  Followed my diet and exercise regimen pretty well but despite my best efforts, I only lost 0.6lbs.  Am I hitting my second plateau since starting this life change?  Next week will be very telling...I'm sure!   I'm spending this upcoming weekend with my daughter and their family.  I saved one cheat day this month for this occasion so that certainly won't help but I'll be good about everything else this next week, otherwise.   Here are my current diet results: Last week's (based on 20 weeks) average weekly weight loss:  2.33lbs. This week's (based on 21 weeks) average weekly weight loss:  2.26lbs. 🙁👎   Here are my weight loss totals as of today Using my home scale from Oct. 5 - today:  43.0lb weight loss. Using doctors scale from Sept. 25 - today:  47.0lb weight loss.   Weight loss still needed to hit target weight: 7.0lbs   Good luck to you all on your weight and diet goals this next week! Susan R🌷  
    • SugarMagnolia
      Thanks! I saw it retweeted by Planned Parenthood and figured it was legit.
    • DeeDee
      Well done on having the courage to take that step Wolf.  
    • wolf055
      thank you all so much ive been to my GP and she as started me on medication and as told me to contact a trans support team that's local to me so im actually going to start the journey to becoming my true self thank you all again for all your kind wods and support hugs
    • VickySGV
      I am going to pin this list here in the forum.  I have seen these folks before and know a couple of their board members.  
    • Jani
      Great news about your cousin!  Congrats to them.  Maybe this will be just the thing for you to open up to that side of the family.  I'm sure your cousin would appreciate it.  
    • AsTheCrow
      thanks! I'm optimistic.   maybe when I get out from under this depression I can actually start improving other aspects of my life.   in other news, one of my young cousins has announced she's getting married to her long-time roommate, another woman. First openly LGBTQ person in that party of my family.  I've been out for 20 years now but not with that part of the family. I haven't heard yet what the reaction has been, but I will do everything in my power to make it across the country to get to that wedding. I'm so proud of her!   sorta gives me hope that I might be able to really transition some day without getting absolutely disowned.
    • Jani
      I hope it works well.  😀
  • Upcoming Events