• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Sergei

I Got My New Bank Card!

Guest Sergei

I just really want to share this, I have just been to the bank, and finally I have my new bank card in my new name and title.

For years I have never felt able to use my bank card. At the age of 18 when I first got a card I went into a shop and bought something, and because of the title 'miss' on my card, the girl serving me asked if the card belonged to me, and asked to see ID to prove it, because I looked male. I was so embarrased that for the last 4 years I have never used my card. Everytime I have wanted to buy something, I have gone to a cash machine, taken out the money, and then paid by cash in the shop. It may seem like a small thing, but to me it felt like I didn't have the right to act like other people and use a bank card because of the way I looked. It made me feel ashamed of who I was, which I now know was thee wrong way to feel. I feel like I have just taken back another little piece of the freedom that having GID takes away from you. :)

Guest matthew41

Congrats Sergei,

The rest of society takes ID for granted, for us it can be a roadblock to day to day living. I think its great that you got your new bank card, I bet its a great feeling.

Matt

Guest Sergei

Thanks Matt, it really does feel great. I used it for the first time today as well. I went to buy an overcoat in a really smart formal menswear shop. I've never had the confindence to go and buy my own clothes before, and used to ask friends to get them for me, or order things from catalogues so I didn't have to deal with the strange looks from the sales people. But today I went into the shop myself. It felt great when the sales person addressed me as sir, and I was then able to walk proudly to the counter and pay for my purchase with my new card.

princecharmless

Well done, another milestone :)

Guest Rach

I truly understand how you feel. My situation is simply reversed since I am MTF. The same things used to happen all the time to me. I would present a card with my old name on it, and the vast majority of the time I would get questioned in one way or another. Like the sales clerk would look at me and say something like , "Is he here? You can't use his card, he needs to sign for this!" A few times, I had no choice but to argue with them about it because I needed to make a purchase, and did not have any cash with me, so I had no choice but to use a card. I would try to tell them, um, that is me. Every one of those times, they continued to argue with me. I had trheats of them calling the manager on me, and also I have been flatly denied the use of the card, period. "He has to sign for this purchase, you cannot do that for him" type of thing.

Oh well, life has been so much easier ever since changing all of that stuff (credit cards, bank accounts, drivers license with an 'F' gender marker, and so on) into my new legal name (well, not really new at all - I legally changed it many years ago). I have never had a problem since, thankfully!

And congrats to you!!!

Guest JoAnnDallas

My bank will put your picture on the card as a form of ID. I can also get a card in my fem name. Then I can go up on their web site, submit a picture. Then I can go to the bank and request a new card not only with my fem name but my fem picture on it. So now I have a Credit card with my male name and male picture and a credit card with my fem name and fem picture on it. Same card number on both. Saves a lot of hassle.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Who's Online   15 Members, 0 Anonymous, 148 Guests (See full list)

• Dana Michelle
    • Emily michelle
    • Jackie C.
    • Tori M
    • VickySGV
    • Wichita
    • RobynNYC
    • MaryEllen
    • Mmindy
    • Suzanne1
    • ShawnaLeigh
    • SaraAW
    • Tessa
    • Just Lee
    • Kaltia_Atlas
  • Topics With Zero Replies

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Stella_Dragon
    Newest Member
    Stella_Dragon

1. SoSarah
      SoSarah
      (61 years old)
    2. Xlandral
      Xlandral
      (19 years old)
    • Tori M
      That's what I've done and you're right, it helps.  I used to focus solely on my body being wrong, what I thought of as body dysphoria.  HRT gave me congruency in my head and I worried far less about the body issue.  Now, without hormones, I've lost some of that congruency and the body dysphoria has returned somewhat, but I now understand (I think) that my brain has a dysphoric problem that needs attention.  I need some E to rewire it back to the way it was.  From one angle it seems like I've gotten it all twisted around, but somehow it makes sense to me.  I think.  Like they say, this is all a process... a journey not a destination.
    • ShawnaLeigh
      Yes the phone interview went well to say the least.  It helps being a veteran when your being hired by a disabled vet owner and everyone in the company is a vet as well.  His bread a butter is government contracts and hiring me evaluates his companies status to include LBGT compliant too.  I just got a $15K per year raise same vacation and a much shorter commute time to work. The timing is a bit overwhelming and I am feeling a ton of nervous anxiety this morning as I am truly not all wrapped up in VT, but I have always seized opportunity when it is presented so I had to jump.  I'm thankful to @Patti Anne and all her support and love and I am very excited that our life together is starting sooner then later. Also a big shout out to our newest friend @Tori M who lives fairly close to us in Oregon and is excited for us to get back there.  Its nice to have a new friend in place when moving across country.   Though honestly I have no intentions of driving my stuff off a cliff so.......  No to Thelma and Louise!   More to come shortly.   I have a phone therapy session in a few minutes so I have to close for now.  
    • Emily michelle
      Congrats that’s awesome. I’m glad you two will be together sooner than later.
    • RobynNYC
      Yesterday we were out and in our area we are still wearing masks.  I was also wearing goggles.  My hair has gotten longer and my upper body has atrophied a bit and looking at myself in the mirror, I was like omg I so come off as female.  I’m not pursuing social transition at this point so I’m (trying to?) present male.   It’s something I’ve had to put a lot of effort into over the course of my life.  Anyway yesterday I totally got the sense I was coming off more female.  The longer hair, the body language I have always had a tougher time controlling and the mask just all combined together.     🙎🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️
    • RobynNYC
      This this this this!!!  For me I have always had more of a female brain, and that’s been really confusing.  I didn’t really get that is was gender dysphoria until later in life but viewing this through the prism of having a female brain (as opposed to being trapped in a man’s body) has made it so much easier for me to process.  
    • Jackie C.
      Be wary of cliffs. 😋   Congratulations for the both of you! This is a big step and I wish you nothing but luck and happiness!   Hugs!
    • Carolyn Marie
      Duplicate post.   Carolyn
    • Patti Anne
      OOPs... misposted
    • Patti Anne
      Well, Shawna and I had some crazy things happen today. The Good news is she's not coming to Oregon to visit. The other good news is it sounds like she was offered a job today about 15 minutes away from our house. It's a government contract and they want her to start yesterday. So, needless to say, things are moving along really really rapidly. It's looking more like I'm going to fly to Vermont and we'll both drive back with a truck loaded with her things. She was talking about driving alone, but there's NO WAY I'm letting her drive X/C by herself. We'll drive together, Thelma and Louise style.   So, as things firm up, we'll repost with progress notes.   Update: She just texted me and she's definitely been hired! They want her here on 6/29!    PA and SL
    • sleepinflame
      I didn't get all the way through.  It was useful to me, but coming to this site was more useful.  It's really useful to read the sections about feeling alienated from the boys and wanting to be with the girls, but that appears in so many stories.  The piece that I was trying to figure out for myself is why don't I care so much about presenting as a girl IRL.  Here, I present as a girl because it's my inner self and I feel very girly inside most of the time.  But I just don't need to present that way for casual interactions in the grocery store.  I think.  I guess I won't know until I try it.  Still figuring it out, but I don't feel the aching need which so many here express.  I feel the aching need to communicate as we do here, that's where I feel most girly.  I want to interact IRL that way with my friends and that's the biggest mystery for me, how to get those interactions with close friends.  I think I understand it now, I was always holding back because I didn't want to be seen as being flirting.  Now I can just say what I want honestly and I think it will turn out better.  After quarantine, right?   All of that leads me to the most important thing, which it is all very individual.   I read and I read and I read.  I find authors who have a voice who seem similar to my inner voice, but no one is the same.  I'd say my closest match is Adrienne Nash.  I like her because she resonates so much with me.  We're all different sparkly snowflakes, that makes it hard for us to figure out what we are.  But it is all valid.   Hugs --Grace                  
    • Dana Michelle
      Yes, a minor can change their name. A minor has to fill out this form https://www.courts.ca.gov/documents/nc500.pdf. It requires either getting the parents' signatures or issuing a notice to allow the parents to object.
    • Emily michelle
      Thanks for all the replies. I’ve just kept playing on the humor. It just gets frustrating at times. the funny thing was there was another mechanic that had long hair too and they never said much about it. I can only imagine what will happen when I get my ears pierced haha. I don’t want to involve hr yet because I’m not ready to come out at work yet. Susan I wish my hair was like that unfortunately that is a wig. My hair is at the bottom of my ears now so it’s progressing. 
    • Patti Anne
      Thanks Jackie!
    • Patti Anne
      Thanks Em! It's definitely more updated.   Things are moving at the speed of light with Shawna and I! We've had some HUGE things happen this morning. We'll update as they firm up! 
    • Dana Michelle
      I am also from California and I discussed some of the issues I had with name change on this thread: My advice is: bring three copies of each form; bring change, cash, check book and credit card; bring envelopes.
  • Upcoming Events