• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Confused

Hellothere

The main reason why I joined a forum is because of the fact im unsure. Its a sucky thing and distracts me from thingns like school. When i came out, my mother said im to young to know. I understand, and this places more doubt. I dont feel right looking in the mirror and seeing a girl. I hate when my hair grows out long, hate anything girly. I get strong bouts of the feeling to hide. A powerful just hide feeling. I dont know anyone in my day to day life like this or thats gone through this. So i ask you, how did you know? How young?

I had clues when I was young, but shame, denial and other excuses kept me from looking at myself honestly. I was mostly going through the motions of life, watching it go by like a movie. Now I actually feel involved with life. I've heard the too young to know excuse before, but in reality there are children that come out as transgender as young as 4. Gender identity from what I've read typically forms at around the age of 3-4. For myself I don't think it properly developed because I was transgender. It took me until I was in my early 40's to figure things out. Part of that was the fact that I grew up in the 80's, and the other part of it was denial that it was just because I'm not married or that I believed all boys wanted to be girls (it was just a secret no one talked about). 

I would saay the biggest limiting factor for transitioning for me was information, denial and shame. My biggest regret was not transitioning sooner. 

As to how did I know, it was gradual. But this article's perspective helped me out a lot:

https://freethoughtblogs.com/nataliereed/2012/04/17/the-null-hypothecis/

• Forum Moderator

Well, I can’t tell you what the signs would be for you.  I know when I was young I was different but didn’t associate it with anything.  Gender dysphoria is not new, but with social media it’s certainly talked about more.  

I didnt know know what I was or what I really wanted. Many will tell you that it comes and goes, I am one of them.  But I can also agree with everyone that will say each time you find a way to deny it and push it aside, when it comes back it will be stronger until you know you can’t deny it any more.

Some know or claim to know very young others as teens and then there are those of us who don’t figure it out until much later.  Stay here, others will respond and we all want to help however we can.

Willow

• Admin

One of my friends is a medical doctor who is the head of a major children's hospital Trans Youth program of over 400 patients.  Dr. Jo, as she is known, has singed the hair and ears off of many people who say that young children are "too young to know" and I have been there when she did.  To her, her patients know full well who they are, and many are brought in at ages 4 - 6.  It is parents who do not know who their children are and are afraid to find our, or believe because they are parents they "must know" often when they secretly know they do not and are afraid their children will find out.

You know who you are, or more the point, who you want to be seen as and how you want the world to know you.  You want your intelligence and your honest and direct character to be seen and to you that means having short hair, clothing that is simple and does not take away from what you need or want to say.  You know that you like to do things more associated with male skills and play sports that are more demanding than your community offers for girls.  Those are things you do know.  If you have Gender Dysphoria, all of those things will stay with you, but if you do not, it does not really matter you had fun, learned things and gained friends that will last a life time.

For now, talk to your school counselor about the grades and school work problem (which I admit are symptoms of GD) and see if they can, just for now, convince your parents to let you do the non-girl activities, or can get you other counseling with someone who you can discuss the gender issue without it being denied.  Until you can find such a person. leave the Gender issue alone with your parents who have blocked the possibility in their minds, and concentrate on the specific activities you want to do, just as "their daughter".  My 9 year old grand daughter likes her hair short even though it is beautiful when it is down to her waist, but her parents know the hair can and will grow back. 

At your age I agree that you should not do anything that cannot be reversed, as does my medical friend who does prescribe puberty blockers to young people in your age group, but those can be reversed if needed without harm. 

The article is really interesting and helpful. Reassuring. Im sure ill struggle for a while totruly understand and convince my parents. Thank you:)

Ah i dodnt notice there were more replies till i sent the first one. Whoops.

In general, i dont do many girlish things and i have a short haircut. Once and a while my mother will buy some over the top girlish thing and ill be honest and say that i wont really ever wear it. Im thankful for their understanding. They didnt know it had gotten to this point. They arent against LGBTQ+ people as well, my circumstances are good compared to others. Therapy and talking to counselors  is a whole new question, im not the best at talking and being heart to heart with people other than one of my close friends. Ive been working on that. I really appreciate your answers! Being “to young to understand” was really bugging me and making me struggle with this whole thing, this really helps!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   8 Members, 0 Anonymous, 112 Guests (See full list)

• Jamey-Heather
    • Vidanjali
    • MaeBe
    • Ashley0616
    • Birdie
    • EasyE
    • Abigail Genevieve
    • Adrianna Danielle
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Kayla93
    Newest Member
    Kayla93

1. 777fleetleader777
      777fleetleader777
      (21 years old)
    2. ArinHallm3
      ArinHallm3
      (18 years old)
    3. ITakMyTime
      ITakMyTime
      (70 years old)
    4. Jess31
      Jess31
      (40 years old)
    5. Natalie71645
      Natalie71645
      (39 years old)
    • Ashley0616
    • Ashley0616
    • MaeBe
      How exciting! Have a glorious evening!
    • Adrianna Danielle
      I will be meeting her wife tonight
    • Betty K
      Thank you Vidanjali that is so great to hear. I'm glad the joy comes across even though the subjects are dark, and especially that my voice is pretty! This was really a breakthrough for me, and I revelled in the entire process. Never had creating music been so effortless from start to finish.
    • Charlize
      The thoughts and suggestions above are certainly excellent!  I might also suggest that you continue to reach out to the trans community where your feelings are understood through experience.  I have found that helpful.  The is especially true when i try to help another in distress, not to look for a fellow sufferer but to help another find a path to self acceptance and peace.  Funny how helping another can pull me out of my own funk. We are here to help as we can.  Remember you are not alone in your feelings.   Hugs,   Charlize
    • Vidanjali
      This is great, Betty. Your voice is so pretty and soothing. I listened to both tracks on your channel. The messages are clear and there is a very effective tone for the content you are portraying as it neither sounds antagonistic nor overtly facetious, but rather empowered and joyful. 
    • Vidanjali
      @FinnyFinsterHH I am sorry to hear you're struggling so much. I'll start by saying I understand how this feels because I too have had episodes where I've gotten very upset about my chest to the point of panic or depression. So, I will offer what advice I can, but understand I know it's not easily done, though there are ways through it. Gradually think about whether someone you know can help get you a binder. Until then, because you feel this way when you realize your chest is there, you can work on developing mental techniques to get your mind off dwelling on your chest. You'll realize your chest is there throughout the day, of course, because the chest is a prominent part of the body.   First, think about addressing the physical reaction. Drink a glass of water and take several deep breaths. This can help to calm your body.   I strongly recommend mindfulness and meditation practices. You can practice techniques throughout the day, wherever you are. For example, say you catch a glimpse of yourself in a reflective surface and begin to feel sick, seeing the chest. Take a moment and instead cast your glance on anything around you, preferably something in nature like looking up at the sky or at a tree. Describe the object you're viewing in neutral terms meaning describe the color, texture, shape, borders, patterns, etc.; but avoid personal or emotional description such as, "It makes me feel..." or "It reminds me of...". This will redirect your mind away from dwelling on your body shape and calm the nervous system. There are many more mindfulness practices you can find online.   You can also try using a CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) journal app. In such an app will guide you to describe what upset you, the feelings, thoughts, and beliefs involved, analyzing and reframing them.    Finally, consider developing a regular meditation practice. This will strengthen your mind and gradually you will find yourself less prone to feeling consumed by upsetting events.    I should also mention, if you are artistic, consider channeling your experience into artistic expression. This has worked for me before - I've created a few art pieces addressing my experience of gender dysphoria. in such a way that felt empowering - like I owned it instead of it owning me.   None of these things is a quick fix. Nor should they be because what you're dealing with is a deep issue. But will sustained effort you can find your way to living with more peace and comfort.
    • VickySGV
      I am a little different in my angle of approach on this one, but my skepticism on the "Phishing Trips" the AG's are taking is that they have gone into these investigations with the idea that illegal actions are occurring regularly.  They are going in on the information of unharmed third parties who have imagined fantastic "theories and plots of harm".  What is going to happen when the institutions turn over information that has NONE of this fantasy outcome in it.  Proof of a negative is impossible under standard logic and even most Laws of Evidence.  Just because the records do not show it happened will not in their minds equate to harm not having happened, just that someone is lying to them or covering up something that they know from their personal fantasies.  The problem is that they have made a public face of wisdom and social courage against the fantastic, they have their "glorious Quest"" and like Don Quixote will be tearing up windmills looking to justify their private images.
    • Ivy
      This sounds really good.  Good luck with it.
    • Ivy
      It's (questionably) legal terrorism, in my opinion, to scare people out of transitioning.  But that is the goal, isn't it, to eradicate transgender people. They know what they're doing, and so do we.
    • Jani
    • Jani
      The Move, an interesting part of UK rock history.
    • Ivy
      Footwear is one thing I sometimes go with mens'.  Basically, it's hard to find stuff big enough in womens', especially at a place like that.  For flip-flops I go for cheap since there're gonna tear up anyway.
    • Jani
      Be a good listener.  Sometimes people just want to talk.
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.