• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Misgendered Twice Today

Susan R

• Forum Moderator

I'm sitting here in the lobby at my wife's bi-annual mammogram appointment.  We both came up to the next available counter in the lobby to get checked in.  They found her appointment and gave my wife directions to the correct lobby to wait.  The receptionist looked at me, smiled and then said to me wife, "She can go with you...it's no problem".  My wife asked, "into the waiting room or lobby?" The receptionist replied, "it fine if she stays with you except during the actual procedure."  

I know I ts not a really a big deal but it made me feel very happy.  I feel like these hormones are starting to feminize my face a tiny bit.  I also had my real hair (which is long now) combed in a Princess Diana style but I had on no makeup.  That being said, I was holding my wife's shoulder purse on my shoulder.  Also, there could be a completely unrelated reason I was misgendered.  I have an appointment here on this same floor tomorrow to see my new gender health doctor. When the receptionist was checking my wife in, maybe there was a notation next to her name like...Husband is Trangendered".  It going to be interesting tomorrow coming back with my wife wearing some light makeup and possibly skinny jeans and a feminine top, bra etc..lol.  It will be the first time out as Susan in 22 years.  My wife actually said it was ok.  I really was surprised when SHE suggested it.  I really can't until tomorrow.

Susan R?

4 minutes ago, Susan R said:

It will be the first time out as Susan in 22 years.  My wife actually said it was ok.  I really was surprised when SHE suggested it.  I really can't until tomorrow.

I am sure you don't need it as this sounds really positive! but good luck for tomorrow!

That's awesome! The headline made me think you might have been misgendered as male. In this case you were correctly gendered female. Yay!!!

• Forum Moderator

Yes the headline is a bit misleading!   At first I thought You were misgendered but reading it twice (I'm a bit dense at times!) I see it was your wife's husband that was misgendered. Nice.  

So do you think there was a notation on your wife's record?  And that is what prompted the correct gendering?  If so then it seems they are trying.  You'll find out tomorrow how it all plays out. 

Jani

• Forum Moderator

Hi Susan, I would venture to say you were being properly read by the receptionist, very nice on the affirmations, they do feel good.

Good luck tomorrow.

Cynthia -

• Forum Moderator

Thank you all for the wonderful comments & feedback.  It does feel nice.  I may be confused on whether or not I was misgendered or correctly gendered.  I was presenting male so I thought the receptionist made a mistake...twice.  If so, it was a very pleasing mistake.

My wife and I went out and bought me a nice casual top, anklets, canvas Keds (bought 2 pair diff. colors) to go with my Gloria Vanderbilt skinny jeans.  I'm dressing very casual.  I'm more ready than I've ever been.

1 hour ago, Jani said:

So do you think there was a notation on your wife's record?  And that is what prompted the correct gendering?  If so then it seems they are trying.  You'll find out tomorrow how it all plays out. 

I really have no idea, Jani.  I used to use another PCP and switched due to location (driving time) but now we both use a closer Virginia Mason.  Our general records may now be merged since we obviously share the same address.  Being that VM is a very LGBTQ friendly health provider, it could be that they code it to avoid problems of misgendering in their Transgender Health Services dept.  If the opportunity arises tomorrow, I may ask but I may be too nervous to do so...we'll see.

Susan R?

3 hours ago, Susan R said:

I'm sitting here in the lobby at my wife's bi-annual mammogram appointment.  We both came up to the next available counter in the lobby to get checked in.  They found her appointment and gave my wife directions to the correct lobby to wait.  The receptionist looked at me, smiled and then said to me wife, "She can go with you...it's no problem".  My wife asked, "into the waiting room or lobby?" The receptionist replied, "it fine if she stays with you except during the actual procedure."  

I know I ts not a really a big deal but it made me feel very happy.  I feel like these hormones are starting to feminize my face a tiny bit.  I also had my real hair (which is long now) combed in a Princess Diana style but I had on no makeup.  That being said, I was holding my wife's shoulder purse on my shoulder.  Also, there could be a completely unrelated reason I was misgendered.  I have an appointment here on this same floor tomorrow to see my new gender health doctor. When the receptionist was checking my wife in, maybe there was a notation next to her name like...Husband is Trangendered".  It going to be interesting tomorrow coming back with my wife wearing some light makeup and possibly skinny jeans and a feminine top, bra etc..lol.  It will be the first time out as Susan in 22 years.  My wife actually said it was ok.  I really was surprised when SHE suggested it.  I really can't until tomorrow.

Susan R?

Wow! That is awesome. I am so happy for you. Hopefully tomorrow goes well. Looking at your avatar I don’t see a guy so it isn’t a surprise that she used the feminine pronouns on you.

• Forum Moderator
9 hours ago, Susan R said:

I was presenting male so I thought the receptionist made a mistake...twice.  If so, it was a very pleasing mistake.

?

That's what we call "Male Fail", you think you might be presenting male, but others are seeing differently.

You are simply running out of signals to hold up the facade.....

Enjoy

C -

• Forum Moderator

Thank you so much @Cyndee  I am so excited about going back today fully dressed as myself I can't sleep.  It's 5:30am here..lol

Susan R?

• Forum Moderator

Thanks @Kirsten  Yes, being out in the world again as ME!  It doesn't get much better.  Having my wife there with me is a nice addition too.  I'm so looking forward! ?

1 hour ago, Cyndee said:

That's what we call "Male Fail", you think you might be presenting male, but others are seeing differently.

You are simply running out of signals to hold up the facade.....

Enjoy

C -

Yes. Susan ... I’m sorry. It’s time to hand in your Male card.

• Forum Moderator

I'm not surprised you can't sleep.  Enjoy the day to the fullest.  It is wonderful that your wife supports you in this process.  Soon enough she will be with you when you get your own mammogram.  

Hugs,

Charlize

That's awesome! Before you know it, you and your wife will go to dinner together and the waitress will ask if it's separate checks! :)

• Forum Moderator
Just now, Charlize said:

Soon enough she will be with you when you get your own mammogram

Lol, oh that would be quite the reversal and I suppose you're right, Charlize.  Thank you for the nice comment.

Just now, Dakota16 said:

That's awesome! Before you know it, you and your wife will go to dinner together and the waitress will ask if it's separate checks! :)

I'll make sure I tip that waitress a little extra ? Thank you Dakota16