• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Hair Growth

Raven1981

I would like to share my experience that I have found for hair growth and it does not really make your hair grow faster but I have noticed it has helped me out with someone that has grown up with extreme dry damaged hair where I can take a shower or go swimming and my hair will look dry even with water on it.  So I have always had very dry damaged hair.  So so far for the past 3 weeks, I have been using coconut oil on my hair and my hair has went from being dry and damaged to thick and feeling soft.  I do not know if it helps with hair growth, have not noticed that.  But have noticed it made my hair soft and thick.

This is my experience and wanted to share with everyone and if you want to try you can.  But I cannot believe how my hair is now soft and smooth and thick

Lots of Love

• Forum Moderator

1 hour ago, Amy LeBlanc said:

I have been using coconut oil on my hair and my hair has went from being dry and damaged to thick and feeling soft

Thanks for the tip, Amy.  My hair seems to have changed a bit since starting on HRT.  It seems a bit drier now.  I've started using some good conditioner which I never had to use before on a regular basis.  I'll have to try this.  I want my hair to be soft again.  This may be just what I need.

Thanks again,

Susan R?

• Admin

Under a confusing news heading, it will take about 2.5 to 3 years to get your ultimate female hair conditioning because hair has growth cycles that have to be taken into account.  There are roughly 4 parts to the cycle, which is a dormant cycle when no hair grows from a skin follicle, there is new follicle which starts after the dormancy cycle has run for that site, a growing cycle where the hair grows from baby fuzz to a long strand and a mature / dying cycle.  When you first begin your HRT, hair in the growing and md cycle is not affected by the hormone and keeps living its cycle out with you T based hair which will simply quit growing and clog your hairbrush and the Bathroom sink as it falls out.  The individual strands will go dormant, but when they wake up, your E is going to make them female hair, which can be on the oily side when it is growing, but then will dry out some and need conditioner to keep the ends from splitting and breaking.  I am at 9 years on HRT, and since 6 years ago has been very fine as compared to T days, but except for a couple of MPB areas near my temples, it is all there, including an area on top that has come back. 

My stylist has me wash all the hair about once every week (to avoid drying) from roots to ends and then use conditioner on the ends of the hair to the base of my skull only, since the hair close to the scalp is getting oil from your skin and the skin follicles but it is not getting on the strands beyond about an inch from the scalp which is where drying and damage take place.  I have to use color safe shampoo and conditioner since my red hair is natural every 5 weeks per our current plan.  I have noticed a good change using the conditioner (the Coconut oil or Moroccan oil are OK) only on the ends.  From time to time I do use a spray conditioner if my hair is getting tangled  easily. 

• Forum Moderator

@VickySGV  Your post above has a lot of great information.  I had to read it twice to catch all of it.  So in a nutshell, I should have no worries for about 3 years until my female hair is grown completely in and has fully replaced my old male hair.  Then there may be a possibly of it becoming dried out with split ends at that time if it is overwashed and not conditioned.  Thank you for this info, Vicky.

Susan R?

I heard about that.  I also heard it's not good to wash your hair every day, so I tend to wash twice a week and I use a color safe shampoo and conditioner.  Was told that you want the shampoo and conditioner separate and not together cause the together type can damage your hair.

I also heard that much like your skin, your hair breathes and is alive.  It needs oxygen, so it's not a good idea for wearing anything tight on your head for long periods.  I find myself when I wear wigs, that 8 hours is long enough and then take off and let my hair and scalp breathe.  I make sure to massage my scalp to stimulate my fociles and the blood as well.

Amy, what coconut oil does is deep cleans the follicle. Fat can collect at the rim of the follicle thus restricting growth. Coconut oil dissolves that fat freeing the follicle thus promoting easier growth. Not necessarily more growth... Follow?

My Mother would wash her hair three times a week. Only once with shampoo though. One time would be olive oil as shampoo. Coconut oil next time. Then a jojoba oil/cocoa butter shampoo third time. 

Amazing resutls!

Thank You Michelle.  I did not know that.  No wonder why my hair is now starting to feel softer after been using coconut oil.  Wonder if I just had alot of fat that has been collecting over the years.

Even though my hair still appears dry and damage, I have noticed that since I wash my hair twice a week to help retain the natural oils in my hair, I am now big on the separate shampoo and conditioner than the ones that have the combination of both.

I am working on keeping my hair all nice and healthy and fresh

So maybe I should be doing something different too? I work out and get extremely sweaty every day. So I do rinse and condition every day, but I wash only on Tuesday and Saturday. Should I do less? I really don’t want my hair to stink like sweat either. 

I don’t use hair products. And I don’t use heat unless I have an out night planned (maybe 2 times a month) I do keep my hair in a pony and I do wear a hair band because only like half of my hair reached the ponytail. 

If anyone sees anything I’m doing that could be better please let me know. 

Oh I do use vo5 conditioning treatment once every week as well. It’s not the heat one. Just a leave in conditioner. 

4 hours ago, Kirsten said:

So maybe I should be doing something different too? I work out and get extremely sweaty every day. So I do rinse and condition every day, but I wash only on Tuesday and Saturday. Should I do less? I really don’t want my hair to stink like sweat either. 

I don’t use hair products. And I don’t use heat unless I have an out night planned (maybe 2 times a month) I do keep my hair in a pony and I do wear a hair band because only like half of my hair reached the ponytail. 

If anyone sees anything I’m doing that could be better please let me know. 

Oh I do use vo5 conditioning treatment once every week as well. It’s not the heat one. Just a leave in conditioner. 

So this is just my experience since all my life I have always had very extreme dry damaged hair.  Then my hair has always been very curly as well.  I have started washing my hair twice a day on Sunday and Wednesday.  Now I do run water on my hair to have it wet and easy to brush and to make sure that I dont have dirt or sweat in my hair.

Since I started using coconut oil on my hair, the first 2 weeks after putting coconut oil in my hair, it absorbed in 30min and was back being dry and damaged.  Now it is soft and nice feeling.  The coconut oil does not dry up as fast as how it used to.

@Kirsten I have read online and been told that pony tails are nice and I would love a pony tail, but was told to do it in moderation cause by pulling the hair back, it is putting stress on the hair follicles.  Might want to ask and double check.

I am just happy that my hair is feeling softer.  Now if only to stimulate the follicles to grow faster

• Forum Moderator
9 hours ago, Amy LeBlanc said:

I find myself when I wear wigs, that 8 hours is long enough and then take off and let my hair and scalp breathe.

I wear my wig around the house on some days but I'm finding that after 5-6 hours I need a break.  Recently, I've just been styling my own hair which is getting to a point where it's androgynous..like a short Princess Diana style. In a couple of months, it'll be much more feminine. Can't wait til then.

Susan R?

My guy hair

IMG_0547.JPG

• 3 months later...

Want to share my natural hair growth so far.  My hair is just growing super slow, but it is cause I have very extreme thick curly hair.  I have 3 inches if loose hair right now and also I can see that the top middle of my hair where I had the start of a balding patch is now gone.  I am still trying to grow out my hair and I am really taking care of it and feeding it and massaging it.  But thick curly hair takes awhile compared to the thin brittle hair.  Here is a picture of my hair so far.

The first picture is of my natural hair from March 2019  the second is from now April 28

natural hair March 2019.jpg

natural hair April 2019.jpg

On 1/26/2019 at 9:19 AM, Amy LeBlanc said:

I also heard that much like your skin, your hair breathes and is alive.  It needs oxygen, so it's not a good idea for wearing anything tight on your head for long periods. 

Indeed true! Most of my friends and myself don't wear hats and have pretty full, healthy hair. Many with mpb feel compelled to wear hats and bandanas. But the friction and suffocation is so bad for the hair. So the cover up ends up being detrimental to the hair. My scalp would just crawl whenever I had to wear a hat... 

Let your hair, in whatever condition it's in, be happy and breath! ❤️