• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Tips for easing dissociation?

GothicLucas

I tried looking up some meditative videos on youtube to help. They're not helping, because they're not meant for people who are transgender and dissociating from a body they don't identify with. One of their affirmations was, "My mind is just tired and needs a rest." My mind doesn't get to rest from being trans.

Have any of you been through this before? I've been like this for months and it's gotten so bad, my job is being affected. I tried contacting my therapist and she has no open sessions.

In the past, I was able to feel again just by...sort of calling "him" (my other self) and letting him inhabit the body he so longed to. But that's not working this time. I sense that he's scared. I want to work through it, so can anybody help?

• Admin

My first thought is Support Groups that may be put on through LGBTQ community centers, or even some local colleges where you can BE yourself in the group of people.  The groups are non-judgment and will welcome "both" of you, and as "he" becomes more comfortable "he" will come out and give you some relief.  Gender Dysphoria during it's Insistent stage can and does interfere with your daily life.  You should also see if your therapist can let you in on an urgent basis, or even recommend a colleague who can see you that way. 

I am lucky in that I am part of the Trans Chorus Of Los Angeles, and even though I more regularly do their stage tech work than sing, I do like to do some Shower Singing of the works the singers are doing.  Music sing-along is one way to let your inner self go.  There are Karaoke programs for computers and over in our music thread are a list of songs that have helped other members keep their minds together.  If you really want to venture out on the music, Chicago has several LGBT Choruses that are all volunteers. 

• Forum Moderator
Just now, VickySGV said:

You should also see if your therapist can let you in on an urgent basis, or even recommend a colleague who can see you that way. 

Good Advice.  This is what I would do.  

• 4 weeks later...

I feel this a lot. It feels good to know I’m not the only one. Dissociation is a terrible feeling. For me what helps is working on becoming more and more female as possible it’s like an obsession. But it makes me feel normal so I’m just gonna keep doing me. Stay strong love you got this ??