• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Tips for easing dissociation?

GothicLucas

I tried looking up some meditative videos on youtube to help. They're not helping, because they're not meant for people who are transgender and dissociating from a body they don't identify with. One of their affirmations was, "My mind is just tired and needs a rest." My mind doesn't get to rest from being trans.

Have any of you been through this before? I've been like this for months and it's gotten so bad, my job is being affected. I tried contacting my therapist and she has no open sessions.

In the past, I was able to feel again just by...sort of calling "him" (my other self) and letting him inhabit the body he so longed to. But that's not working this time. I sense that he's scared. I want to work through it, so can anybody help?

• Admin

My first thought is Support Groups that may be put on through LGBTQ community centers, or even some local colleges where you can BE yourself in the group of people.  The groups are non-judgment and will welcome "both" of you, and as "he" becomes more comfortable "he" will come out and give you some relief.  Gender Dysphoria during it's Insistent stage can and does interfere with your daily life.  You should also see if your therapist can let you in on an urgent basis, or even recommend a colleague who can see you that way. 

I am lucky in that I am part of the Trans Chorus Of Los Angeles, and even though I more regularly do their stage tech work than sing, I do like to do some Shower Singing of the works the singers are doing.  Music sing-along is one way to let your inner self go.  There are Karaoke programs for computers and over in our music thread are a list of songs that have helped other members keep their minds together.  If you really want to venture out on the music, Chicago has several LGBT Choruses that are all volunteers. 

• Forum Moderator
Just now, VickySGV said:

You should also see if your therapist can let you in on an urgent basis, or even recommend a colleague who can see you that way. 

Good Advice.  This is what I would do.  

there's a technique I learned because I have a PTSD. I won't explain it in details here but I suggest you talk about it to a therapist and maybe they will be able to help or at least to refer you to someone who will be able to. There's technique that exist for dissociation. It's not a miracle cure but it does help a lot.

• 4 weeks later...

I feel this a lot. It feels good to know I’m not the only one. Dissociation is a terrible feeling. For me what helps is working on becoming more and more female as possible it’s like an obsession. But it makes me feel normal so I’m just gonna keep doing me. Stay strong love you got this ??

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Who's Online   6 Members, 0 Anonymous, 67 Guests (See full list)

• Heathick
    • Petra Jane
    • MaryEllen
    • Aidan5
    • HollyNoel
    • Mmindy
  • Topics With Zero Replies

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

invision
    Newest Member
    invision

1. David.S.C
      David.S.C
    2. Natasa
      Natasa
    3. RosieKohn
      RosieKohn
      (58 years old)
    • Sally Stone
      There’s no denying I have always been attracted physically to women, but whenever I would look upon a woman, much of what I felt was envy more than desire.  It’s been this way for as long as I can remember, so, I always find myself wondering how much different my thoughts are from men that are not trans.    I can’t imagine them wondering how they’d look in that dress, or how wonderful it would be to have those shoes.  Surely, they don’t find themselves envious of that hourglass figure, or those beautiful legs.  Do they acknowledge how expertly that woman’s makeup is applied; do they recognize how flattering the shade of lipstick she’s chosen is?  I wonder, because those are typical of my thoughts when I see a woman.  Simply stated, I don’t want her so much as I want to be her.   So, when a woman catches me staring, she probably thinks of me the way she thinks of all men who stare at women.  I just wish she’d know that my stares weren’t born of lust.  If only she could know that the reason I stare is because of a collection of thoughts and feelings way more complicated.   It’s possible there is still some desire, but it is, and always has been, all about the envy.        
    • Abi
      Hi Kestrel,     Your presence could equally be critical at some point when someone sees your perspective and finds comfort in that thought. No one wants to say the wrong thing but, if we all hold back because of that possibility then the community is lost. All any of us can do is try our best to add where we can and appreciate what has been offered. 
    • Abi
      Ok so I am a FaceApp addict but, I wasn't sure how everyone looked at this kind of thing. I would say out of hundreds of them I have only really loved a couple. There is absolutely no chance I could ever look as good as this app makes me look. One thing I have found to be amusing as well is the fact that once in a while it will say I am female and offer to switch me to male. UH NO.... I am on the fence about sharing so please forgive me. I would love to share but, I have a feeling some people are bothered by this. I would love to hear opinions.    
    • Heathick
      My doc is FaceApp's gender filter I wish I really looked like that!  
    • HollyNoel
      @Heathick To be fair I had a high estrogen level before I started HRT. So I was almost in tears already, the HRT kinda pushed me over the edge.   I was watching the movie Paper Man, had Ryan Reynolds, Jeff Daniels, and Emma Stone in it, and I got to this one part which wasn't really sad, but I cried my eyes out. It's like, OMG Will You Just STOP It!!!  lol. I have depression already, so I cry anyway, but come on. Can't I just watch TV without having a box of tissues sitting within reach. lol
    • Abi
      There is nothing like a great set of brushes and they are often very inexpensive. I always clean them with an antibacterial soap of some sort. I would never use my personal brushes on someone else. I would like the idea of like a ladies night doing makeup and trading secrets but, I would make sure everybody has a healthy supply of options. The first thing I do when I'm going to do my makeup is try to have a general look in mind. Youtube has so many great artists that share their technique. 
    • Lee H
      Wow, Heathick, who's your doc? She has the magic touch.... ~~Lee~~
    • Shay
      @QuestioningAmber wonder in regard to your mom... Great you asked them to read about it.... Super you are spending the day doing something fun 
    • Victoria94
      I did let my hair grow out, but suddenly when my mother made a comment about my hair length I instantly panicked and went and cut of my hair al the way down until there was nothing left. I did this regulary before in the belief that if I looked more like what I was supposed to look like that I could eventually forget my feelings inside. Im not saying all men are bald and have big beards.😅 But that was the look I went for to try and forget. Now my hair is starting to grow ut again and I'm disguising it by letting the beard grow as well for the time being. A have always been thinking of going out of town or out of country for that sake to have a little freedom. Sorry to say that I haven't had the oppertunity for that because of money and work. Last time I was away from my homeplace for something other than buisness was about when I was 15 years old.   When it comes to lying and hurting others. Thats where I am today. I always put others before myself. I keep thinking of my friends and coworkers who are dependant on the me they know. Even my younger sister drop into my head. She is saying how she look up to her brother who always been there. If it was a bad break up or a flat tire. I keep getting back to that if I do this to feel better for myself, it's not just my life changing. Everyone I know gets their world turned around a little.       So as of now I have just begun letting the hair grow back. It's taking some time considering I shaved everything of the last time. Just wished it would go a little quicker.😥
    • Heathick
      Hi, Kestrel!   I love your name and outfit!
    • Heathick
      I haven't seen the Hanna series, but I loved the earlier movie of it.   Lately I've been hooked on Get Organized With The Home Edit (Sumner is so awesome and pretty!), Queer Eye, especially the episodes in Japan, and The Orville (not sure if that one's on streaming). Been wanting to see Picard.
    • Willow
      Thanks for all your kind thoughts.  Glad to know I was missed.  Just goes to show what good friends most of us are to each other.   Since October 11th is coming out day, I am strongly leaning towards doing that.  Since it’s a Sunday my thought was To go to church .  Any thoughts or suggestions?   Willow
    • Jackie C.
      That's funny. It's exactly how I described my bottom surgery. "Yeah, I had a couple of unfortunate growths removed from my undercarriage."   Hugs!
    • Jani
      My throat was sore for a day or so since my doctor used a scope to help determine how much he could shave off without affecting the vocal chords.  You could just tell anyone who asks that you had a small growth removed, and leave it at that.  They can figure it out themselves.  Our health history is really no ones business.  Yes there may be questions, but probably more about your looks.  You're looking good! 
    • Jani
      Great news!  Travel safely.  It may be scary at first but it will be all you hoped for.     Hugs  Jani
  • Upcoming Events