• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Consultation for FFS

Raven1981

Hello All:

So I have had my consultation with FFS and it went very well.  There was one area that I wanted to have done that I cannot.  The doctor said that after having 5 surgeries on my eye lids in the 80's that she does not want to touch it again.  Plus also I dont have enough skin there anyways. 

But so I had a X-Ray and CT scan of my head to look over the bone structure and the doctor pointed out some new items.

1. There is the forehead / brow / hair line and eye socket

2. there is my nose

3. My chin and jaw line

4. my right ear sticks out too much

She said that my upper lip is already fine and feminine along with my cheeks and she can tell that the hormones have redistributed the fat into my cheeks. 

Now the fun part, I got the cash price and all I can say is DAM.  But I am looking at my insurance to see if my insurance will be able to cover something.

Lots of Love

Amy

• Forum Moderator

Hi Amy, now you know what to expect.  Did the consultation address if some or all of the surgeries could be performed together?  I wonder what the total recovery time for all the procedures is?  That sure would be nice if some of this was covered under your insurance.  Thank you for sharing!

Susan R?

I can do all together and knock out all at once.  I can do one at a time.  I can do 2 at a time.  It is up to me and also what I can afford.

I know if I do the full lump with everything at once, it will be 2 days in hospitable and I will be able to return back to work after 2 weeks if I dont mind looking puffy swollen.  It takes up to 11 months just to have the swelling to go down

Amy,

FFS is something I am very interested in. Would you mind sharing an estimate of the cost? (I'm not sure if that is against the rules) All I know is that it is expensive, but I'm not sure just how expensive. I have also heard that for some women FFS is more confirmatory than SRS. 

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences and thoughts. 

Jane Shannon 

34 minutes ago, Janeshannon said:

Amy,

FFS is something I am very interested in. Would you mind sharing an estimate of the cost? (I'm not sure if that is against the rules) All I know is that it is expensive, but I'm not sure just how expensive. I have also heard that for some women FFS is more confirmatory than SRS. 

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences and thoughts. 

Jane Shannon 

Hello Jane

So the cost for me for everything out the door if I do everything at once will be around 35k.  

I am thinking on breaking it up and looking at doing 2 items.  My doctor that I saw, had suggested to make sure to start electrolysis and get 5 to 10 sessions under your belt to make sure the area is hair free.

My doctor also follows the WPATH where they need a letter from my Therapist for my surgery to start the schedule.  Now I lucked out cause my Therapist is very familiar with this surgeon and worked with her office staff.  So I know I have a good Therapist and a good surgeon and a good Endocrinologist.

The surgeon I am seeing is 1 of 9 in the whole US area that specialize in all Transgender surgeries and other Trans individuals come to PHX for her for the surgeries.

With FFS, its usually a bunch of little stuff that can be done as a whole or individual.  Doctors need to analyze the face and look at X-rays to see what can be done and how much.  Then I know for my doctor I saw, she requires a  minimum of 1yr in HRT and 1.5 year social transition.

Surgeries are not temp like HRT where it can easily be reversed.  Surgeries are permanent and I like how I have been on HRT for a year.  Got prices and consultation to get on wait list to save up and do a second year on HRT.  My doctor also said straight out that I do have fat under my chin and neck and losing that will help make my face better

3 hours ago, Amy LeBlanc said:

Surgeries are not temp like HRT where it can easily be reversed. 

I'd love to have some FFS, but it's expensive and most insurance companies consider it elective surgery and don't cover it. My doctor advised that breast growth with HRT is not reversible.  

12 hours ago, Beverly said:

I'd love to have some FFS, but it's expensive and most insurance companies consider it elective surgery and don't cover it. My doctor advised that breast growth with HRT is not reversible.  

From what I see in your avatar you don’t need FFS.

2 hours ago, RithiaAllen said:

From what I see in your avatar you don’t need FFS.

Thank you, Rithia! My sister yesterday posted a photo of us together on Facebook taken before I started HRT, and I wasn't aware how much HRT had had a feminizing effect on my features. It's a sweet photo of us together as sisters, but I was like yikes! 

Hello Everyone:

I just got the best news today.  I have contacted my insurance company and found that my insurance company with the coverage that I have does cover all Transgender surgeries.  So for my FFS, my insurance will cover FFS and looking over the information that they sent me, it shows that they cover gender dysphoria and Transgender surgeries.  Looking over the surgeries in the list shows all the correct codes and what it is which is what is on the quote I got from my doctor,

This girl is so happy and I was anticipating that I will have to pay cash price but now I know my insurance will cover the surgery that I want.

Lots of Love

Amy

2 hours ago, Beverly said:

Thank you, Rithia! My sister yesterday posted a photo of us together on Facebook taken before I started HRT, and I wasn't aware how much HRT had had a feminizing effect on my features. It's a sweet photo of us together as sisters, but I was like yikes! 

It sneaks up on you until one day you're getting run out of the mens room.

3 hours ago, RithiaAllen said:

It sneaks up on you until one day you're getting run out of the mens room.

LOL! That reminds me. Early on I caught myself a few times heading for the men's room in places I had frequented often before transition.

I was at Walgreens the other day and asked to use the restroom. The lady that came to open the door didn't even hesitate. She went straight to the Ladies Room door with absolutely no hestation!

Definitely reassuring!

• Forum Moderator
4 minutes ago, Michelle F said:

I was at Walgreens the other day and asked to use the restroom. The lady that came to open the door didn't even hesitate. She went straight to the Ladies Room door with absolutely no hestation!

Definitely reassuring!

What a nice experience, Michelle. ??

12 hours ago, Janeshannon said:

Amy,

Did the the price include hair transplant restoration?

Thanks,

Jane Shannon

For my price it did not cover hair transplant.  But instead it included the hair line reduction to bring my hair line forward

On 1/29/2019 at 6:21 PM, Amy LeBlanc said:

Hello Everyone:

I just got the best news today.  I have contacted my insurance company and found that my insurance company with the coverage that I have does cover all Transgender surgeries.  So for my FFS, my insurance will cover FFS and looking over the information that they sent me, it shows that they cover gender dysphoria and Transgender surgeries.  Looking over the surgeries in the list shows all the correct codes and what it is which is what is on the quote I got from my doctor,

This girl is so happy and I was anticipating that I will have to pay cash price but now I know my insurance will cover the surgery that I want.

Lots of Love

Amy

That is fantastic news!

Amy,

I am totally excited as well. My Ins covers most everything as well... I was just approved for Breast augmentation/tummy tuck surgery. Just waiting to set the appointment

We can thank WPATH for the insurance coverage... 

1 hour ago, Michelle F said:

Amy,

I am totally excited as well. My Ins covers most everything as well... I was just approved for Breast augmentation/tummy tuck surgery. Just waiting to set the appointment

We can thank WPATH for the insurance coverage... 

That is totally awesome.  I wish my insurance covered breast.  But I am happy with FFS coverage.  Then on Friday I saw my therapist and she had no problem writing me my letter for surgery.

Now just need to come up with deposit and make my schedule

• Forum Moderator

I may looking into FFS. However I will wait to see what changes HRT will have.

Kymmie

Kymmie,

My understanding is that most Doctors will not do FFS until after a year on HRT. They need to see what changes HRT will do on its own, and to make sure you really need and want the surgery. 

JS

My doctor that I went to wants min. 1 year on HRT.  Plus 1 yr social transition to make certain that this correct for you and also a letter from a therapist that follows the WPATH giving the permission to move forward on the WPATH