• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

MIracles do happen!

Susan R

• Forum Moderator

I started HRT back in Sept. 2018.  I was put on Spironolactone and Estradiol and had my first follow up appointment setup for Dec. 2018.  At the same time I made other major life changes.  I started a life changing diet and worked up to walking 3 miles a day which I continue both even today.

My first set of labs came back and there were a few markers that were very worrisome for my endo but decided to allow me to continue until my 3 month follow up.  My kidney function rate (called eGFR) was 58 in Sept. then in Dec. follow up it dropped to 52.  Anything below 60 is bad news.  Kidney disease was my diagnosis and so after 3 months of HRT, I was immediately pulled off of Spironolactone due to the severe downward trend.  I was told by my endo that I would need to have monthly labs done and there would only be a minimal chance of ever getting back on Spironolactone.   I was really down about this but understood it was best.  I reached out to friends and family and asked if they would pray for my kidneys.  They all responded that they would make it a priority in their prayer life.  Many are prayer warriors and I was then very hopeful.

In Jan. 2019, I changed my Internal Medicine doctor because she was much closer to my home and was highly recommended to me.  My first monthly visit was the in late Jan.  My new doctor wanted a full screening with detailed labs done.  She also stated that it's possible that I could be put on a much safer but slightly less effective anti-androgen.  That also gave me evven more hope.  

On Feb. 1, 2019, after a 12 hour fast, my wife and I went to get the labs done.  The lab attendant said my new labs would be available at the online portal by Monday, Feb. 4.  Well, I went online late last nite and there they were.  I was blown away with the results.

Here are a few of my amazing results.

Test                             Sept 2018       Dec 2018       Feb 2019

Kidney Func (eGFR)       58                     52                    >60

(eGFR under 60 risk for kidney disease-higher is better)

Creatinine levels           1.08                   1.17               0.96

(0.72 mg/dL - 1.25 mg/dL normal-related strongly to eGFR)

Glucose                          146                    105                  86

Normal random glucose 75 - 139 mg/dL

Borderline random glucose: 140 - 199 mg/dL

Diagnosis of diabetes: > or = 200 mg/dL

Cholesterol                    208                    n.a.                 230

Desirable <200 mg/dL

Borderline 200-239 mg/dL

High ≥ 240 mg/dL

So all my other results were in the normal range and I'm still in the borderline range for Cholesterol but my kidneys have apparently returned to normal function. This is very good news.  Couldn't have happened without my diet, excersize and lots of prayer.  God is good!

Susan R?

I'm glad things are moving the way they need to for you Susan! being healthy is so much more than just not eating bad food ?

• Forum Moderator

That is wonderful news to read this morning Susan, so happy for you :applause: The exercise, diet, lifestyle changes, prayer and positive thinking do work miracles. I will also add that removing stress and anxieties in our lives, such as gender discomfort (GD), can make such a difference in your overall well being, if your spirit and inner being are well , the physical body tends to follow...

May the good news continue for you Susan, I have a feeling even better things await. You are taking proactive steps to improving your overall well being. God helps those that helps themselves (i do believe).

Best to you

Cyndee -