• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

killjoyaiden

Starting Applications...

killjoyaiden

I sent out my first job applications last night. I'm scared. I don't want to have to face discrimination, although I do realize that it's pretty much inevitable. I'm scared I'll be denied the job, or the workplace refuses to accept my identity, not calling me by my name or pronouns. Will the employees there be accepting? Will they treat me badly as well? There are so many unanswered questions, that only time will answer. I wish things were easier for us....

Cyndee

Good for you Aiden, the real world awaits, the good, the bad, and the ugly. I hope it goes well for you, and you are correct only time will tell. Let us know how it goes.

Hugs

Cyndee -

tracy_j

I suggest to try to go in with confidence. It's like any new venture, but with a few added complications. In some ways your post can be taken as some of the same type of questions a new manager would ask before taking their first job controlling a number of employees. Be friendly. Any new employee is nervous, but a bit of research into where you may be working may help.

Tracy

killjoyaiden

OKAY!

So, I got an interview this Friday.. and I'm nervous, to say the least.

A) I have never done a job interview before

B ) I'm scared to tell the manager I'm trans (and my dad says she's super nice so if she isn't supportive then that'll make it THAT much worse)

C) I'm scared to start the job because part of my generalized anxiety disorder is SOCIAL ANXIETY!! Fuuuuuuuuuuun.

So yeah does anyone have any advice or pep talks for me because I need ALL OF IT.

:)

RithiaAllen

Focus on the job, what you can provide by filling the role and also don’t forget that you are interviewing them to see if you are interested.

Do not mention that you are trans. That is irrelevant to the job. There is no need to deny it if it comes up but it really isn’t an appropriate line of questioning during an interview.

Above all think positive thoughts. Good luck.

Kirsten

Be yourself and be positive! Show the interviewer what a great person you are, and don’t be afraid to show off a little bit! This is all about letting that employer know that you WILL do that job better than everyone else! 

You got this! 💪🏻💪🏻

killjoyaiden

Thanks, @Kirsten!! 

@RithiaAllen The reason why I want to mention I'm trans is because I want to be referred to as a male in the workplace. A lot of people from school go to this place practically everyday, and many of them ONLY know me as Aiden, so I don't want them to think of me any other way. Plus, it's just a confidence thing. I want to decrease the amount of uncomfortableness as much as I can, since this is my first job.

Kole Rickard

Try not to let those thoughts down. You will do great at your job! You communicate very well. Just confront yourself as a guy. Not a trans guy. If anyone has a problem with that, that their own -crap- to deal with because this is 2019 and everyone now is more accepting than ever. I bet that everyone will be fine with your presence and they will respect you. If they don't you can talk to the manager about that. Just don't talk back to customers, I know you have a lip. Otherwise, there really shouldn't be a problem. We have a lot more LGBTQ+ people in our state than you think. There will be people who support you and there will be others that don't. But that's just life, 'yknow? You'll be great Aiden.

RithiaAllen
3 hours ago, killjoyaiden said:

Thanks, @Kirsten!! 

@RithiaAllen The reason why I want to mention I'm trans is because I want to be referred to as a male in the workplace. A lot of people from school go to this place practically everyday, and many of them ONLY know me as Aiden, so I don't want them to think of me any other way. Plus, it's just a confidence thing. I want to decrease the amount of uncomfortableness as much as I can, since this is my first job.

Ok I understand. In that case bring it up in a matter of fact way when mentiiining preferred names.

killjoyaiden
On 3/14/2019 at 11:27 AM, Kole Rickard said:

Try not to let those thoughts down. You will do great at your job! You communicate very well. Just confront yourself as a guy. Not a trans guy. If anyone has a problem with that, that their own -crap- to deal with because this is 2019 and everyone now is more accepting than ever. I bet that everyone will be fine with your presence and they will respect you. If they don't you can talk to the manager about that. Just don't talk back to customers, I know you have a lip. Otherwise, there really shouldn't be a problem. We have a lot more LGBTQ+ people in our state than you think. There will be people who support you and there will be others that don't. But that's just life, 'yknow? You'll be great Aiden.

LOL! "I know you have a lip" l i s t e n

But, thanks, love. I appreciate it. Pay me a visit sometime, yeah?

Kole Rickard

Of course I'll visit you. I might as well apply too, yeah?? Haha! (Not kidding I need a job, man.)

killjoyaiden
1 hour ago, Kole Rickard said:

Of course I'll visit you. I might as well apply too, yeah?? Haha! (Not kidding I need a job, man.)

DO IT literally so many of our friends are applying. You don't even do an interview bc they're CRAZY desperate for weekend people. We'll probably have the same shifts most of the time 🙂 

Kole Rickard

Ohhh that's great!

killjoyaiden

Started my job today and I LOVE IT!! The people there are SO sweet and supportive, and everyone has fun working there! It doesn't feel like a job, really. On my first day, I got $2.60 in tips in a couple hours. There was one lady who asked how many people were working there today through the drive-thru, and Emily, my co-worker, told her there were 4. She gave us each $1.30! We all said thank you. She said she appreciates the work we do. There were two other people starting today, and they got off at 2. I stayed until close to get more hours in, plus I didn't have anything to do at home. Even though I love my job, my feet are killing me!

Overall, I had a GREAT day. We all joke around while we're there, and we help each other out. I immediately felt accepted. 

Thanks for your guys' support!!

Lexi C

Good Luck Aiden..knock them dead 

killjoyaiden

So, I found out my manager is a lesbian????