• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Susan

Surgery

Susan

Hey all. I would like to know if I should start getting on waiting lists for surgery? And should I start getting my letters in order or wait till I am like 6 months out? Please help with some guidance so I can start getting things going. I want to get it done in about 1.5 yrs or so. Thanks

Cyndee

Hi Susan, I assume you mean bottom surgery, or GCS. In that case many of the popular surgeons indeed can have long waiting lists, 2+ years in some cases, which makes endorsement letters interesting as to the timing and their validity. I know I had to go back to my therapist and ask her to update one of my letters of recommendation to include the actual year it took place in, so there was no question as to it's validity.

I would ask do you have certain surgeons in mind ? Perhaps that would guide you as to the timing of obtaining your letters, or make sure your letters are open ended for a period of time, keeping in mind that a surgeon may require a deposit to secure a certain date in the future. I would start discussing this with your therapist or counselor, to see if they are prepared to write you the endorsement letter for surgery. Most if not all therapists will want you to complete at least 1 year of living full time in the role of your target gender.

As always we promote WPATH standards of care, there are details in this document that may help too !

https://www.wpath.org/media/cms/Documents/SOC v7/SOC V7_English.pdf

Best of luck

Cyndee -

Susan

By all means I want to follow a path. Ad far as surgeons. I was told I need letters before I can even get on the waiting list. That's why I was asking question because I didn't know. I have started looking to. I was also thinking I might want to do it when I move to where we talked about before. As far as my therapist goes, I am sure he wont do it till my year is up and that will be in 6 months. Hugs!!

Raven1981

I can say that when I went to my FFS consultation that in order to go on the wait list and my doctor has a 6 month wait list for FFS here in PHX that I will need my letter and a deposit at the same time to schedule.  My deposit is about 2500 which goes towards the price of the surgery.

Also keep in mind that most surgeons also would like to have you on HRT for min. a year to see what HRT has done and what they will need to do.  This is for FFS, and GCS.

Insurances wont cover the deposit's cause the schedule person needs the deposit and insurance information just to also talk to the insurance as well and to see what your deductible is.

Think about what surgeon you would like and where you would like to go?  If you have to travel then you have to factor in the travel cost and then the stay at the recovery house.

I am lucky that the surgeon I have choose is already in PHX and is one of 9 top surgeons that specialize in Trans surgeries.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Who's Online   6 Members, 0 Anonymous, 93 Guests (See full list)

• Willa
    • SaraAW
    • JustineM
    • MaryEllen
    • Jackie C.
    • Nivegnal
  • Topics With Zero Replies

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Celine
    Newest Member
    Celine

1. Kendra Chelsea
      Kendra Chelsea
    2. Lou Lamoureux
      Lou Lamoureux
      (18 years old)
    3. Petra Jane
      Petra Jane
      (59 years old)
    • Jackie C.
      Decrease of muscle mass is one of the reasons I started working out before I started hormones. I didn't have a lot of mass to lose (well, not MUSCLE anyway) and I wanted to make certain I could still do the things I like to do... or push my car back into the garage if I had to.   Hugs!
    • Nivegnal
      Only to my daughter.  She had gotten free passes to a nice golf course and we normally play golf together quite often.  Thought I am not that good Nor is she but we love it.  We share the love and beauty of a golf course.  It gets to us. Anyways I kept trying to bring it up but just couldn’t break through that fear barrier.  We were having such a good time and I didn’t want to ruin it.  Playing golf for us is a frame of mind.  Don’t play stressed.  Don’t bring issues on the course with you.  Be positive.  Etc.   it’s kind of and unwritten rule and we follow it.   I was worried I would ruin not just our day together but was afraid of our future relationship. Maybe after some therapy I can get past this.  but I swear I was sooo close.  
    • Nivegnal
      I have definitely noticed a loss in strength too.  I struggle with things two handed I was able to move easily one handed.   Though with all the posting about cars and bikes it brings up another side of this for me.   I was never interested in either growing up but always thought I should of been back when I a teen and even through adulthood.  I mean nothing speaks male as loud as being into mechanical work on such things.  now I say that and I’ve spent most of my adult career being Maintenance Technician in versions manufacturing facilities.  Mostly machine maintenance and robotics.  The more technical side of it.   Still cars have eluded me all these years.  I don’t work in maintenance capacity any longer.  I got tired of the lay offs.    I’m  a BioMed no and it’s much nicer. I get to wear basically golf clothes.  Albeit men’s still but I just wear a lot of bright colors and pink all the time plus no grease under my finger nails.  Lol
    • EZDoesIt
      Thank you Jani! I have recently lowered my levels just to see what happens.... maybe that’s why I’m being all “emotional” 🤣😂   just time clarify.... the meds aren’t the ONLY reason I wanted the T. I LIKE the sides.... just don’t want anyone to find out I guess
    • Josie Beth
      Grindr has changed a little bit if you want to focus on how it is now trans inclusive, but the majority of men are either just dabbling in anything considered gay or just want a hookup. I have a profile there and have not even come close to getting a date there because even though I clearly state my identity and role I get all kinds of desperate or gross messages. The best conversations I’ve had there are with other trans women who just want to talk, mainly commiserating about how disgusting the guys act. I don’t think any site or apps are really good for transgender dating, even those that are specifically for transgender people, because they are all full of people who abuse the medium or troll. 
    • Josie Beth
    • TammyAnne
      Made it back to the Ozarks finally! At my closest point to you I spent 2 hours stuck on the freeway in a traffic jam crossing the Hudson River. It was a long day! I got back to find my HVAC system not working, so I have to scramble before the cold weather sets in. Then get my studio set up and start work. Along the way, I'm trying to relearn to play the guitar. Meetings with doctors this week to see what my metabolism is up to, plus the oncologist to provide follow up support from my cancer surgery. Lots of things to do! Hugs and smiles to you all!
    • TammyAnne
      Thank you Sabine for expressing that so well. It has been a struggle to find myself, so it's very nice to know I'm not alone in my experience.
    • Maid In Bedlam
      Once upon a time. In a land far far away. I was an die hard home mechanic. I have vivid memorys of changing a clutch on a Vauxhall cavalier in the snow. Thats how dedicated i was. Taking an engine from an old ford, stripping it down to components and then putting it all back together again did not even phase me. Also saved me fortunes in Garage bills. Even before that I was a Motorbike fanatic and still hold a full bike licence. But havent been on one for about Twenty Five years. I wouldnt like to recall the amount of wrecked bikes i got my hands on and rebuilt from the wheels up.   As its been said. There is female mechanics. But honestly i have no interest in working on cars or indeed bikes anymore.   I still have a very keen interest in classic cars. When i say classic I mean Anything pre 1985.   But as far as working on them goes. I am physically not strong enough or have the tenacity to even want to do it anymore.   The Hormones took my strength, and wow did it take my physical grunt, and the wanting to do this anymore.  I can still impress my partner by seeing something on the road classic and being able to name it on site. But im just not intersted in what makes it tick. It also doesnt make it better that i was doing this in my prime and now i have waved that goodbye.   However. Now I enjoy fashion,  clothes and yes shoes to. Which is a bonus as i work in retail.  I wouldnt say its a hobbie as such but  really enjoy it.   In a way the hormones do alter your personality in that sense  in my opnion,. Well it did for me. I still have a wealth of male only knowledge so to speak. but the implimentation just isnt fourthcoming anymore.    With DIY I can still do things but as long as they not to physical. Such as hang wallpaper etc. I was also good at that. In fact i was good with my hands period and would be happy to attempt most things   In a way having that knowledge is a good thing. as if i have to take my car to the garage i play dumb but actually will know if they are trying to get one over on me.   I do not feel sad that it changed my outlook from what i knew. If anything its giving me the knowledge from another life as i see it. Practical knowledge is never a bad thing.            
    • Maid In Bedlam
      .Trans is by no means a modern thing. Not by a long chalk. Especially Hinduism.   To Name a few.   Shikhandi: This warrior in the Kurukshetra war in most tellings of the Mahabharata was female at birth but changed gender later in life. Born Shikhandini, the girl in one version of the story was raised as a male by King Drupada, the girl's father. The king even had her married to the princess of Dasharna. Upon complaints from the new bride, Shikhandini fled into the forest and met a Yaksha and exchanged genders. Now taking the name Shikhandi, he remained a man until his death at the battle of Mahabharat.   Shiva and Parvati: The supreme god of Shaivism, Shiva has often been held as the ultimate embodiment of masculinity, but as far back as the Kushan era, there have also been depictions of Shiva in  an androgynous composite of Shiva and his wife, Parvoti. The form originated when Parvoti, desiring to share Shiva’s experiences, asked for their forms to literally be joined. “What is being said is that if the inner masculine and feminine meet, you are in a perpetual state of ecstasy,” explains Hindu scholar Sadhguru. Most often, the Ardhanarishvara is depicted with the female form of Parvoti on the left and the masculine attributes of Shiva on the right   Bahuchara Mata: Bahuchara Mata was traveling with her sisters and threatened by the marauder Bapiya. After she and her sisters self-immolated their own breasts, Bapiya was cursed with impotence until he began to dress an act as a Woman Today, the Hindu goddess is worshipped as the originator and patron of the hijras, trans and intersex Bangladeshis considered in the faith to be of a “third gender.”     Its actually awesome when you look these gods up. See what they got up to.     I just copied and pasted the meanings and there spellings online. Just google them. You will see for yourself.   Great Fun fact Josie    
    • Carolyn Marie
      https://www.whio.com/news/national/slain-transgender-kansas-city-woman-2nd-city-20st-across-2019/dvWQtrC6CEl9lAPly4ZD7H/   May Brianna rest in peace, and may justice be served on her killer.   Carolyn Marie
    • Josie Beth
    • Josie Beth
      In Arabic, Hijra means a pilgrimage, a journey.   Also, it’s the term used to describe transgender women in India. Perhaps it’s a loan word. Perhaps it’s not. But it’s fitting that the same idea is echoed today in the word transgender. The idea of crossing a boundary, making a journey. Being trans is a pilgrimage, it’s moving from one place to another. It used to be something seen as sacred by the ancient cultures of the world. In many ways it still is. Just my musings for today.
    • Josie Beth
      It’s sad because it’s someone who was a real person. Sure there was controversy about her and Dave chapelle but to his credit he bounced his jokes off of her before the controversy and she laughed at them the loudest so they pretty much blew it out of proportion. I think it says something about how Dave actually respected her input as a comedian. Maybe she was ostracized because she wasn’t playing into the politics? It certainly makes sense when her shows tended to be very small compared to other people. It goes to show how entertainment can literally be hard on the very people they claim to be supportive of. She was transgender but virtually blacklisted by the industry. Of course they didn’t openly boycott her shows but she didn’t have large audiences. There’s so many facets to people and making life an “either/or” political game is really damaging when everyone has faults or shortcomings. Comedy has suffered a lot because of political influence being so bloodthirsty lately, when it used to be all in good fun.    Virtue signaling is the term you are looking for, when someone says something to gain points for sounding correct. That’s the sadly artificial world we live in. It takes guts to stand out and be different. Which is why all this talk about being inclusive to diversity is intellectually dishonest when the political drive is to make everyone fit into the same thinking cap. That’s not how people work. That’s not how we have intellectual debate or actually work through conversation with ideas. That’s basically the same dirty word that the political end of entertainment says they are opposed to: fascism. Instead of allowing people to be different they are using a huge industry to dictate government and politics. Miriam websters definition is:    a centralized autocraticgovernment headed by a dictatorial leader, severe economic and social regimentation, and forcible suppression of opposition.    Only in this case the dictator is an ideal that is unrealistic. Just because it’s not declared officially doesn’t mean it’s not a driving force. Change comes from dialogue, not from any form of oppression. Maybe that’s a lesson here too. 
    • Jani
      Hello Kai and thanks for the update.  I understand its hard around the house but it will pass when you are able to set out on your own.  It will happen.  Hang tough.  Soon enough you'll be able to connect with a gender therapist and from there you will have someone to speak with who understands and can help you one on one.  Until then, keep posting and sharing your thoughts.  Please don't let the anxiety get to you.   Jani
  • Upcoming Events