• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Surgery

Susan

Hey all. I would like to know if I should start getting on waiting lists for surgery? And should I start getting my letters in order or wait till I am like 6 months out? Please help with some guidance so I can start getting things going. I want to get it done in about 1.5 yrs or so. Thanks

• Forum Moderator

Hi Susan, I assume you mean bottom surgery, or GCS. In that case many of the popular surgeons indeed can have long waiting lists, 2+ years in some cases, which makes endorsement letters interesting as to the timing and their validity. I know I had to go back to my therapist and ask her to update one of my letters of recommendation to include the actual year it took place in, so there was no question as to it's validity.

I would ask do you have certain surgeons in mind ? Perhaps that would guide you as to the timing of obtaining your letters, or make sure your letters are open ended for a period of time, keeping in mind that a surgeon may require a deposit to secure a certain date in the future. I would start discussing this with your therapist or counselor, to see if they are prepared to write you the endorsement letter for surgery. Most if not all therapists will want you to complete at least 1 year of living full time in the role of your target gender.

As always we promote WPATH standards of care, there are details in this document that may help too !

https://www.wpath.org/media/cms/Documents/SOC v7/SOC V7_English.pdf

Best of luck

Cyndee -

By all means I want to follow a path. Ad far as surgeons. I was told I need letters before I can even get on the waiting list. That's why I was asking question because I didn't know. I have started looking to. I was also thinking I might want to do it when I move to where we talked about before. As far as my therapist goes, I am sure he wont do it till my year is up and that will be in 6 months. Hugs!!

I can say that when I went to my FFS consultation that in order to go on the wait list and my doctor has a 6 month wait list for FFS here in PHX that I will need my letter and a deposit at the same time to schedule.  My deposit is about 2500 which goes towards the price of the surgery.

Also keep in mind that most surgeons also would like to have you on HRT for min. a year to see what HRT has done and what they will need to do.  This is for FFS, and GCS.

Insurances wont cover the deposit's cause the schedule person needs the deposit and insurance information just to also talk to the insurance as well and to see what your deductible is.

Think about what surgeon you would like and where you would like to go?  If you have to travel then you have to factor in the travel cost and then the stay at the recovery house.

I am lucky that the surgeon I have choose is already in PHX and is one of 9 top surgeons that specialize in Trans surgeries.