• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Oops, son called me out on eyeliner. So I told him.

Camie

So just a bit earlier today my son(15) asked me if I was wearing eyeliner. Apparently I didn't do a good job removing it last night when I got dolled up during my "me time" (see new profile pic, still learning make up and only have a little).
 I ended up taking the moment to talk to him about gender dysphoria and that I will be seeking a gender therapist.I didn't have the courage to tell him everything but I feel it's a good start.
 He took it well and was supportive, the whole thing was pretty awkward though.
Here is hoping things continue to go well.

• Forum Moderator

Thats a good start.  Awkward?  Yes!  Sometimes a few words is all it takes to satisfy their curiosity.  He'll ask more later or you can bring it up to finish the conversation and answer his questions.  

Jani

Just now, Jani said:

Thats a good start.  Awkward?  Yes!  Sometimes a few words is all it takes to satisfy their curiosity.  He'll ask more later or you can bring it up to finish the conversation and answer his questions.  

Jani

Thanks Jani, the input is appreciated!
Camie

• Forum Moderator

Hi Camie, this is indeed a big step. Do keep the lines of communication open, there could much more unsaid in the coming days, let him ask or initiate any new discussions. I recall coming out to our daughters when they were teens, they were supportive initially and it seemed fine at first, however later there was some instances of them seeking support from their friends so the word kind of leaked out that way, and can reach others before you have a chance to speak for yourself. I hope it continues to go well for you Camie and your son.

Hugs

Cyndee -

Just now, Cyndee said:

Hi Camie, this is indeed a big step. Do keep the lines of communication open, there could much more unsaid in the coming days, let him ask or initiate any new discussions. I recall coming out to our daughters when they were teens, they were supportive initially and it seemed fine at first, however later there was some instances of them seeking support from their friends so the word kind of leaked out that way, and can reach others before you have a chance to speak for yourself. I hope it continues to go well for you Camie and your son.

Hugs

Cyndee -

Thank you Cyndee, these insights are very helpful. I will keep the lines of communication open for sure.
Camie

• Forum Moderator

Hi Camie,  I commend you for being honest with your son even though you didn't reveal the entire situation which I think was a good idea given the circumstances.  You are braver then I.  When the time comes I'm sure you'll have no problem explaining the details to him so he understands.  If he didn't go crazy on you, I think you'll be ok in the long run.  Kids these days are much smarter about these subjects than we know. 

I had had a similar experience with my son-in-law about 3 mos ago.  He lives an hour away but works near to where my wife and I live.  He stopped over on his way home unexpectedly to have me work on his computer.  Unfortunately for me, I had grown my nails out to the longest they'd ever been.  They were unpainted but shaped & buffed and looked very girlish.  Needless to say, my son-in-law noticed them but said nothing.  I wasn't about to say anything either.  The next week their whole family came over and my daughter was obviously looking over at my nails. It was more than obvious that they had both discussed my nails after that incident but I've never brought it up.  It could have been an opening to breech the topic but I let it pass.  There will be a better time to discuss it on my own terms.  Meanwhile, it sort of prepares them for the enevitable coming out soon to come.

i wish you luck with this and your son.  I can understand how difficult it can be.

Susan R?