• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Brazil President to Remove All LGBT References From Textbooks

Carolyn Marie

• Admin

https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/brazils-new-president-to-eliminate-transgender-pro-gay-ideology-from-school

I'm sure that what Bolsonaro proposes will be of great interest to Pres. Trump and VP Pence.  Luckily, textbooks here are subject to State regulations, but that won't stop attempts by groups such as the ADF and AFA to do the same in right-leaning states.

Carolyn Marie

• Admin

I am sure it has crossed the minds of Pence and Trumps other "advisors".  Carefully note how I say that, there is a hidden opinion in there.

It’s funny to me because Brazil is practically one of the transgender havens of the world. Now all of the sudden they all act like it’s the zombie apocalypse and they have to eradicate transgender people like a plague. Just think if they put the same energy, time and money into something positive like eradicating homelessness or feeding the hungry how much they could have already done by now and then some. Their issue is priorities. To them it’s more important to smash someone than lift them up.

• Forum Moderator

I had an opportunity to travel to Sao Paulo for business a few weeks ago, I passed on it, and we will hire contractors for the job instead ? None of my other co workers want to go there either, given the current climate.

Here in WA state, students receive gender education curriculum as part of 9th grade sex ed requirement that went into effect last year, two completely different worlds, heading in 2 different directions.

• Admin
5 hours ago, Josie Beth said:

It’s funny to me because Brazil is practically one of the transgender havens of the world. Now all of the sudden they all act like it’s the zombie apocalypse and they have to eradicate transgender people like a plague

Statistics from Transgender Day Of Remembrance show that Brazil accounted for 53% of violent Trans deaths in 2017 and 46% in 2018.  The U.S. was 8% in 2017 and 9% in 2018.  Not at all comforting.

• Admin
7 hours ago, Josie Beth said:

It’s funny to me because Brazil is practically one of the transgender havens of the world. Now all of the sudden they all act like it’s the zombie apocalypse and they have to eradicate transgender people like a plague. J

There are several places around the world with that kind of duality of support.  Thailand is another, and India.  They can tolerate us, even celebrate us, but there is an undercurrent of hate and distrust that leads to many violent attacks.  In the case of Brazil, I think its largely driven by their new president.  As in the U.S., he has given license to a more open expression of hate than there has been before.  I fear for the safety of the LGBT community there, as I do here.

Carolyn Marie

For what it’s worth a lot of the emotional hype on both sides is just emotional hype. Of course there’s cases where it goes bad but there’s also a lot more cases where things are not that bad. In the digital age it’s much more difficult for any group to gain so much power that they creep into society and influence it that much that we get some sort of ultra national witch hunt. Why? Because if we look at history: groups like the nazis depended largely on secrecy and deception to gain that kind of power and unfortunately for the new wave of totalitarians they tend to throw secrecy and sophistication out the window and reveal themselves for what they are. Most of these idiots can’t help themselves and their arrogance is so pervasive they underestimate the blowback they receive from the things that they profess. So they are counting on the same kinds of people in an age of YouTube and social media to carry out their agendas when they no longer have the benefit of secrecy or isolation that the world was subjected to back in the 1930s. Everyone is watching and engaging in the discussion whether it’s civil or not. That’s a good thing. Because if it wasn’t that way and people did have to wait months for news of crimes or atrocities, we would already have a totally intolerant society. Now people are so vocal and there’s so much presence on social media that anything people do or say that’s inhuman tends to put them in a negative light and the vast majority of people are against bad behavior. Of course there’s always going to be bad elements in every facet of humanity, but that doesn’t mean there’s no progress in the world. 

If if we put everything in perspective, for the first time in history we are having a world wide discussion about certain issues that used to be only localized. So instead of on or two countries struggling to figure out how they feel about transgender people, now the whole world is trying to figure out how to adjust. The resistance to it is because many people mistakenly believe that what someone else chooses to do in their own life is everyone else’s business, but if they were put under the same scrutiny they wouldn’t like it. No matter how much they try to rationalize their objections to someone else taking control over their own life, it just makes them look foolish. People have got to really grasp that everyone has the right to self determination, and nobody else has the right to interfere with them doing that. The only thing anyone should ever object to is when anyone uses self determination as an excuse to violate someone else. That’s it. It couldn’t be more simple.