• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Going in Navy for 4 years

Hey all! I'll be joining the Navy for 4 years this summer to pay for my college, though I'm... less than ecstatic about the thought of being completely closeted until I'm 24. I would really like to get on HRT when I can but my future as a whole is important enough to make that sacrifice obviously. However, I would love some insight on if medically transitioning while enlisted in active duty is possible. I'll probably be at sea often, but I've heard of people beginning HRT with around a year of their enlistment remaining? Any advice would be much appreciated! Thank you ❤️

• Forum Moderator

Congratulations.  I was in the Navy back in the 70's.  In today's social and political climate I'm not sure there is much positive to offer about transitioning while serving.   Things could change though and the military leaders we have generally are not against transgender service members so hold on and see what happens.  Give it your all and you'll enjoy the time.  I know I did. 

Jani

• Forum Moderator

That's great news JT, sounds like an adventure, i have a feeling even if you are not "out", you will find ways to express yourself. Having long term goals is great thing, keep your eyes on the prize. The climate could even change while your already serving. It's a big ocean out there, love the sea, I have a feeling you will too...

Hugs and well wishes

Cyndee -

JT,

Congratulations on choosing to serve our nation and to defend our Constitution! Before beginning any open transition, I would really under DoD and Navy policies and regulations on transgender service. I would also balance those policies with the Command climate. I am not sure, but I think starting HRT while on active duty may impact VA services after you are discharged. One last thought, always remember that the military's sole purpose is to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, and all our personal wants and needs are subordinate to that purpose. 

I wish you all the best!

Jane Shannon 

• Forum Moderator

Thank you serving our country. I've done my time, too. Now a days the VA is very LGBT friendly. Each facility has a LGBT coordinator. I know that VA policy is to treat all veterans equally, including those that are LGBT. I know in our hospital. If a Dr. refuses to treat a trans vet.  They are in violation of said policy. and can be terminated. The head LGBT coordinator in D.C. has their hand on the pulse of DC.

While SRS surgery is not one of the VA benefits, now. I do know that it is back on the decision table again this year. 

Hugs, 

Kymmie