• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Hi. I need support.

DaveMK

Hello! As you read the title, I need support, and mostly help. I am a 16 year old FTM. I found out I was experiencing these feelings when I was 12 or 13. I came out to my parents, mainly my mom which was about a few months ago. I have always hinted with it and once I did come out to her vaguely. But she reacted badly from it. This time, she reacted more differently and said that she wouldn't think different of me. However, when I bring up the fact that I wish to buy men clothes- binders, boxers and such, she reacts annoyed. I'm really scared that I'm wrong and maybe I shouldn't feel this way. Since she believes that feeling this type of way believes you're sick or not normal. Today, she really hurt me by yelling at me when all I said was that I wish I could have a simple masculine haircut. Then she brings up an article about how sex transitioning is terrible when I never even brought up about ANYTHING related to the topic. She then tells me to stop crying- which, really hurt since it seemed like she was saying it as if I had no reason to cry. I felt terrible and I always feel like crap when I try to do something on my own. I don't feel comfortable being called a girl, someone using she/her for me or even having this body. It really hurts because I am only so young and can't provide for myself yet. My parents refuse for me to get a job since I need to finish school first, which, I can understand. But them not supporting me really does affect me negatively. Including when I explained dysphoria to my mom, and how I specifically feel and why I chose to be trans. My dad knows this as well but doesn't really care and my sister currently knows, which, she thinks it's just a game and something funny. Saying that I was put on this earth as a female for a reason. I may be over dramatic but this stuff really does leave a scar on me. My mom even told my aunt that I'm transgender, but I don't even talk to my aunt- which, my mom didn't even ask for my permission to tell anyone. I have one binder and four boxers, which are the only thing holding me at the moment. I wish I could have actual support, but I can't get it from family. Thank you.

Hey, I am sorry that your family doesn't accept you. Its rough trying to be something when so many other people tell you the opposite. I may not be able to help physically but if you ever need someone to talk to I am here, and there are so many other people on this forum that are willing to listen and help support you. 

Just now, CallMeKai said:

Hey, I am sorry that your family doesn't accept you. Its rough trying to be something when so many other people tell you the opposite. I may not be able to help physically but if you ever need someone to talk to I am here, and there are so many other people on this forum that are willing to listen and help support you. 

Thanks. Hearing something from someone- or even hearing that kind of stuff from somebody is really comforting because at least I know I won't be alone on this. it sucks that family or parents reduce to this kind of stuff, even humiliating their child(ren) for their actions. I could say the same for you, though, despite what not. I'll be willing to listen to you as well.

• Forum Moderator

Hello Dave, nice to meet you.  This reaction from your parents is common.  I can't tell you how many stories of young adults your age that have that same element of denial and rejection.  Your parents (specifically your mom) may be playing "devils advocate" as a way to protect you and herself.  You should see if you can educate them a bit by providing them information about what being a TG individual is really all about.  Those in denial about the seriousness of your needs, have to understand that it's not a temporary situation.  If they spent even a couple days reading similar posts here, they might understand you and this TG issue much better.  I realize that's an almost impossible task.  Here's an idea you might try to do with them.  Sit down with your mom and dad one evening when you won't have ANY interruptions.  Tell them you want to discuss this topic openly in a calm and mature way...meaning no yelling, interrupting, or judgement.  I would present some TG facts that can easily be found online...facts that they probably won't take time to research themselves.  I would explain to them details about how and when these feelings started and get them to understand how this has negatively affected your life thus far and let them know that it usually does get worse if nothing is done.  Let them know that you can't just "do nothing" anymore.  Then breech the topic of therapy with them.  If you and your parents could spend some time together with a good counselor, I think they would understand a bit better what it is you are going through.  It would give them some perspective on the issue.  Maybe even tell your parents you know they love you but right now you need some  professional support that they alone can not provide.  It's worth a try, because until you're financially independent from them they hold most of the cards.  I wish you the very best in solving these issues.  There are many here that can offer you support but getting your parents behind you and your need to address these TG issues should be top priority.

Best of Luck,

Susan R?

• Forum Moderator
17 hours ago, DaveMK said:

My parents refuse for me to get a job since I need to finish school first, which, I can understand.

This is a good position since it allows you to focus on your school and future.  Yes you aren't earning your own money for things but that will change soon enough.  Your mother is seeing this change and it scares her.  She has her vision of you and you're changing it.  This is inevitable as we evolve and grow.  Hang tight.  Others don't understand because they've never questioned their gender.  

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   5 Members, 0 Anonymous, 95 Guests (See full list)

• Miss Cormac
    • Maddee
    • Susie
    • Willow
    • MaryEllen
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Melissa_J
    Newest Member
    Melissa_J

1. Amyjay
      Amyjay
      (58 years old)
    2. bettyjean
      bettyjean
    3. Breanna
      Breanna
      (52 years old)
    4. Emily Ayla
      Emily Ayla
    5. JET182
      JET182
    • Willow
      Good Friday Morning    I will be spending a good portion of my day at church today.  I don’t know how any of my family would have been with me.  They all passed before I figured myself out.  I often think my mother and sister may have figured it out before I did but maybe it was just my depression that they saw.  I don’t know and never will.  My grandfather Young unconditionally loved me but he passed when I was 9.   Same with my wife’s parents, both gone before.  We’ve never had the greatest relationship with my wife’s brother but we do see them occasionally.  They words and actions aren’t always in sink when it comes to me.   Sour kraut or boil cabbage were never big even with my parents so that was something we were never expected to eat.  Nor was anything with mustard.  My mother hated mustard and it turns my stomach. My wife tried to sneak it into things early in our marriage but I could always tell.  She stopped after a while.   well I wave to go get ready to go to church.  I have a committee meeting at 10 and then we have a Good Friday Service at noon.   Willow
    • Mmindy
      Good morning everyone,   @KymmieLI hope you're misreading your bosses communications. As you say keep plugging a long. Don't give them signs that you're slow quitting, just to collect unemployment.   I have a few things to do business wise, and will be driving to the St. Louis, MO area for two family gatherings.   Have a great day,   Mindy🌈🐛🏳️‍⚧️🦋
    • KymmieL
      Good morning everyone, TGIFF   It seems like I am the one keeping or shop from being the best. According to the boss. I don't know if my days are numbered or not. But anymore I am waiting for the axe to fall. Time will tell.   I keep plugging a long.   Kymmie
    • KymmieL
      In the warmer weather, Mine is hitting the road on the bike. Just me, the bike, and the road. Other is it music or working on one of my many projects.   Kymmie
    • LC
      That is wonderful. Congratulations!
    • Heather Shay
      What is relaxation to you? Nature? Movie? Reading? Cuddling with a pet? Music?
    • Heather Shay
    • Heather Shay
      Having just a normal emotional day.
    • Heather Shay
      AMUSEMENT The feeling when you encounter something silly, ironic, witty, or absurd, which makes you laugh. You have the urge to be playful and share the joke with others. Similar words: Mirth Amusement is the emotional reaction to humor. This can be something that is intended to be humorous, like when someone tells a good joke or when a friend dresses up in a ridiculous costume. But it can also be something that you find funny that was not intended to be humorous, like when you read a sign with a spelling error that turns it into an ironic pun. For millennia, philosophers and scholars have been attempting to explain what exactly it is that makes something funny. This has led to several different theories. Nowadays, the most widely accepted one is the Incongruity Theory, which states that something is amusing if it violates our standards of how things are supposed to be. For example, Charlie Chaplin-style slapstick is funny because it violates our norms of competence and proper conduct, while Monty Python-style absurdity is funny because it violates reason and logic. However, not every standard or norm violation is necessarily funny. Violations can also evoke confusion, indignation, or shock. An important condition for amusement is that there is a certain psychological distance to the violation. One of the ways to achieve this is captured by the statement ‘comedy is tragedy plus time’. A dreadful mistake today may become a funny story a year from now. But it can also be distant in other ways, for instance, because it happened to someone you do not know, or because it happens in fiction instead of in real life. Amusement also needs a safe and relaxed environment: people who are relaxed and among friends are much more likely to feel amused by something. A violation and sufficient psychological distance are the basic ingredients for amusement, but what any one person find funny will depend on their taste and sense of humor. There are dozens of ‘humor genres’, such as observational comedy, deadpan, toilet humor, and black comedy. Amusement is contagious: in groups, people are more prone to be amused and express their amusement more overtly. People are more likely to share amusement when they are with friends or like-minded people. For these reasons, amusement is often considered a social emotion. It encourages people to engage in social interactions and it promotes social bonding. Many people consider amusement to be good for the body and the soul. By the end of the 20th century, humor and laughter were considered important for mental and physical health, even by psychoneuroimmunology researchers who suggested that emotions influenced immunity. This precipitated the ‘humor and health movement’ among health care providers who believed that humor and laughter help speed recovery, including in patients suffering from cancer1). However, the evidence for health benefits of humor and laughter is less conclusive than commonly believed2. Amusement is a frequent target of regulation: we down-regulate it by shifting our attention to avoid inappropriate laughter, or up-regulate it by focusing on a humorous aspect of a negative situation. Interestingly, amusement that is purposefully up-regulated has been found to have the same beneficial physical and psychological effects as the naturally experienced emotion. Amusement has a few clear expressions that emerge depending on the intensity of the emotion. When people are mildly amused, they tend to smile or chuckle. When amusement intensifies, people laugh out loud and tilt or bob their head. The most extreme bouts of amusement may be accompanied by uncontrollable laughter, tears, and rolling on the floor. Most cultures welcome and endorse amusement. Many people even consider a ‘good sense of humor’ as one of the most desirable characteristics in a partner. At the same time, most cultures have (implicit) rules about what is the right time and place for amusement. For example, displays of amusement may be deemed inappropriate in situations that demand seriousness or solemness, such as at work or during religious rituals.
    • Heather Shay
    • Heather Shay
    • Heather Shay
    • April Marie
      Good morning, everyone!!! Two cups of coffee in the books and I am just feeling so wonderful this morning. Not sure why, but I'm happy and smiling.   Enjoy this beautiful day!!!
    • Heather Shay
      A U.S. dollar bill can be folded approximately 4,000 times in the same place before it will tear. -You cannot snore and dream at the same time. -The average person walks the equivalent of three times around the world in a lifetime. -A hippo’s wide open mouth is big enough to fit a 4-foot-tall child in. -Chewing gum while you cut an onion will help keep you from crying.
    • Susan R
      Love it! This is great news. We need more of this to combat the excessive hate-filled rhetoric and misinformation. 👍
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.