• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Surgery consult today

Rachael

I had my first appointment today with the surgeon for the  orchiectomy. She did all the pre surgery tests today and we can set a date as soon as I get my second letter. I have an appointment Monday with a therapist to see about getting the second letter. 

It seemed like things were a long way in the future but I must be getting closer. ??

• Forum Moderator

This is good news, Rachael.  It does sound like you are getting much closer to getting this surgery.  One of my few local Trans friends just had her orchiectomy on Feb. 15th.  I was happy to hear that her surgery went well and very fast too.  I was amazed how quick her recovery was.  The very next day she was no longer taking any pain medication.  She is so happy to be off of her Spironolactone now.

Thanks for the update,

Susan R?

• Forum Moderator

Best wishes with this process Rachael, it's exciting for sure. I am not sure if you are taking an anti androgen medicine, but if you are this procedure should free you from that requirement. I know I was so relieved to be done with spiro after my surgery.

Hugs

Cyndee -

• Forum Moderator

Thanks for posting Rachael.  My orchiectomy while not painless was really not too bad and the recovery was pretty quick.  I am ecstatic to no longer need any blockers and find life so much more pleasant than prior to the operation.  I think we all face doubts and fears. Being here where i could post to others was quite helpful.  It has been a number of years since my surgery.  I'm more comfortable with myself than ever before.  Hopefully you will find the same.

Hugs,

Charlize

Thanks everyone. 

I had trouble with the spiro a year ago and currently am on a much lower dose as well as finesteride. Just to get off these seems worth the effort. Things got better after I started hrt so hoping this will be bennificial as well. 

• Forum Moderator
Just now, Rachael said:

I had trouble with the spiro a year ago and currently am on a much lower dose

I had issues while on Spiro too.  My kidney function rate (eGFR) dropped so much in the first 3 mos they took me off it entirely.  If you're willing to share the specific reasons you had Spiro issues, I'd really like to know for my own issue/research.  Feel free to msg me if you feel uncomfortable posting here.

I've been off Spiro since Dec. 24 and my kidney function rate (eGFR) has since returned to normal.  My next appointment my new gender health doc is going to prescribe a new anti-androgen. I hope it has less side effects as Spiro.

Susan R?

Susan R 

i started hrt July 31 2017 , I was prescribed estrogen in the pill form and spiro . After my three month checkup my t was high so the spiro was increased and the estrogen changed to patches. I have had blood clots in my leg about 2009, then in 2012 I had three stents placed after a cardiac event ?‍♀️( heart attack) . On dec20 2017 I woke with leg cramps I thought dehydration so I got up and started for some water and fell. I went to se my primary care doctor and was told with the cardiac meds I could not tolerate the blood pressure drop from the spiro so it was stopped also my original hrt doctor closed her practice so the new hormone doctor got a consult and a short 3 weeks I got back on spiro. In July 18 my t was high so finesteride was added. Spring of 18 had symptoms similar to another cardiac event   I feel this could have been brought on by the spiro. So trying to get off the blockers. I feel ok and drs say spiro is ok but bothers me so I will feel better without it. Hope this helps. If you want more message me. 

April, 

there are 2 or three blockers that I know of can’t remember the names other than the 2 I mentioned. 

I hope this post is ok if not please delete it.  Thanks Rachael 

• Forum Moderator

@Rachael Thank you so much for the info.  The more I hear about this Spiro plus the issues I encountered, have made me realize that I never want to go back on that medication.  The orchiectomy is looking more enticing the more I learn. 

Thanks Again,

Susan R?

• Forum Moderator
2 hours ago, April said:

I thought spiro was the only anti-androgen allowed in US.

I don't think this is true at this time.  My new gender health doctor said she was going to try a safer alternative to Spironolactone.  I should have written it down But I do recall her saying it was nearly as effective but much safer.

Susan R?