• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

sleepwear/underwear??

gracey01

i have decided to start transitioning step by step and to start this im going to try to wear girls underwear and a bra under my clothing as much as possible. im wondering what the best options are for this? im not out to my parents so dont have a lot of money to spend at all. i live in the uk btw, so probably just looking at supermarket or primark options. also what do you all sleep in? i hate sleeping without underwear on, and always wear pyjama bottoms on top. however as ill be getting rid of all my male underwear i dont know what to do about this. i assume it's not the best idea to sleep while tucked but that seems to be all that might work for me :/

p.s. bonus question - are there any other things i could do to start my transition before coming out? im 17 and at college 1 or 2 days a week and spend the rest of the time either working or with my girlfriend (who doesnt know either) so just to take that into account.

gracey

• Forum Moderator

If wearing a bra is not feasible you could switch to camisole tops for underwear.  Also there are guys bikini briefs that look like the feminine products.  When you go to wash your clothing your girlfriend will soon find out.   Again sleeping in pants and tank top might be good to ease your mind a little.  

Hi, Gracey!  For underwear, I'd recommend looking at various boyshort panties and finding what size works best for you.  These have worked well for me when tucked.  There are a wide variety of camisole styles to choose from (with and without adjustable straps), and in colder months you may find it enjoyable to wear leggings under your male pants -- I know I do :-).   I've gotten several girls' zippered hoodies in various colors from Primark that look great, and are really gender neutral.  You can also consider women's shoes (here in the USA, we have a brand, Sketchers, that are very comfortable to wear), with styling that may work for you.

Best of luck as you begin building your wardrobe.

Astrid

• Forum Moderator

I found early experiences with a bra somewhat frustrating as the high street shops don't sell the right sizes.It really helps to get it right, and many women don't. It is not easy without experience, or even help.  Although they are not cheap, I use a Uk company called Dainty Lady online. They cater for the smaller woman and sell bras in my size (40 AAAA).  Back in my totally male days I always wore male bikini type briefs so the changeover was fairly straightforward. It just really depends a bit on how well endowed you are as to the easiest style.  I like Jani's ideas for nightware. I do wear pants and T shirt or cami top in the summer. In the winter it is women's pyjamas some of which are fairly unisex. In the winter at times I did wear tights under male trousers at work. This was to keep warm as much as anything else. As I am somewhat non binary, generally I am dressed fully female, but very androgyne which is effectively a progression from male that you could think about. It is probably something a younger person than I could more easily slip into. As for tucking, it really depends on anatomy, but I have found, with time, this seems to happen naturally. I have wondered about long term effects, but have not come across anything. I suppose the answer would be to consult a doctor, but it is a natural reaction to cold anyway.

Tracy

• Forum Moderator

When I was in the military I wore panties but in an androgynous style. Just plain colors usually dark cotton ones. Looking like male bikini underwear. Now 24/7/365 panties of all styles. 

For sleepwear, I would look at neutral style shorts, sleep pants for bottoms for tops a tank or sleep shirt. just pick a neutral color/design. I would avoid the bottoms with juicy on the butt, LOL.

If asked if they are female just own up and say yeah, they looked comfortable. and end the conversation.

Kymmie

• Forum Moderator

Hi Gracey,

I don't know how easy it would be to buy mail order from USA to UK, but there is a line of bra's sold by Just My Size (JMS), which is a Haynes brand product. They're for larger women, so it's easier to find a size that fits a Male type body. They are called "Pure Comfort Bra's". They have thinner seams, and are similar to a sports bra, so there outline is less noticeable under your shirt. And they are very comfortable. I can wear them all day without any discomfort at all. And until they finally start to wear out, the straps never need adjusting. They stay on my shoulders properly all day. 

For sleepwear, I just have an oversized men's sleeveless sport shirt. Of course I wear panties, too. 

Lots of love,

Timber Wolf ??

2 hours ago, Timber Wolf said:

Hi Gracey,

I don't know how easy it would be to buy mail order from USA to UK, but there is a line of bra's sold by Just My Size (JMS), which is a Haynes brand product. They're for larger women, so it's easier to find a size that fits a Male type body. They are called "Pure Comfort Bra's". They have thinner seams, and are similar to a sports bra, so there outline is less noticeable under your shirt. And they are very comfortable. I can wear them all day without any discomfort at all. And until they finally start to wear out, the straps never need adjusting. They stay on my shoulders properly all day. 

For sleepwear, I just have an oversized men's sleeveless sport shirt. Of course I wear panties, too. 

Lots of love,

Timber Wolf ??

thank you i’ll have a look ! :))

u said u wear panties to sleep in, do you tuck? and what style do you go for 

Hi! I started off wearing dollar general tank style sports bras and boyshort panties. I now do not own any guys under garments at all. All no show socks and boyshort panties and I still wear sports bras or bralets. Sooo comfy. For sleeping I wear extra large tees with the neck cut out and lower tops and pink and black skull fleece pajama pants. I'll posts pictures of my favorite panties. I have tons of pairs. 

Screenshot_20190308-220355_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Screenshot_20190308-220414_Amazon Shopping.jpg

I have not worn underwear in years but now that I’m going to need some I’m really worried about chafing or being uncomfortable so I’m a little leery about cotton. Of course there’s probably other quality fabrics that I can choose. I really like boy shorts too. 

I started with bikinis and a couple of Hanes Cozy Razorback bras. As I got more comfortable with women’s underwear, I started branching out on different styles. I like hipsters and thongs, but keep bikinis around for the occasional day those sound comfortable. And I still use the Cozy bras, even with my forms. :)

Jockey makes a "Bikini" type that I started to wear years ago before buying womens underwear on Amazon. I dont know if you have the use of "Amazon Lockers" in the UK, but they are perfect for people that want to purchase items away from home. If you have Fruit of the Loom A-shirts, you can vary the sizes depending on what the "look" you want. The material is stretchy so you can buy a 3xl and use it as a long dress. or small to medium for a sexy look. Combine a top and another pull up the a shirt and wear like a skirt. Buy different colors for different looks. 

• Root Admin
8 hours ago, Ellora said:

I dont know if you have the use of "Amazon Lockers" in the UK, but they are perfect for people that want to purchase items away from home.

Yes we do, there is actually one in a local Booths store, about 10-15 minutes walk away from me and I have just made my first order from Amazon to be delivered to this. Purely because the delivery date clashes with my being at work.

• Forum Moderator

I had a revelation last night I saw one of those Duluth trading post underwear commercial. I realized I can never ever wear anything like that ever again. I think that goes for all male underwear.

Kymmie 

11 hours ago, Petra Jane said:

Yes we do, there is actually one in a local Booths store, about 10-15 minutes walk away from me and I have just made my first order from Amazon to be delivered to this. Purely because the delivery date clashes with my being at work.

Sweet! I love the Amazon Lockers, I never have to worry about the order getting taken off my doorstep or placed on the wrong doorstep (I've had both happen). I hope you enjoy your first purchase! Depending on your budget, Amazon has Prime Wardrobe 'Try before you buy,' "Try fashion items before you buy & only pay for what you keep." I havent tried it, but it sounds cool.

Ellora