• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

The Ups and Downs of Estrogen

Carolyn Marie

• Admin

I've been taking Estradiol in one form or another for 8 years now.  The dosages have varied in small degree along the way, but all the tests I've done for at least the last 6-7 years have been very stable at normal female or post-menopausal levels.

Then about a year ago the estrogen levels started going up.  My PCP, who has no expertise in trans HRT, said little or nothing about it.  But about 6 months ago I switched my HRT care to an endo.  She isn't trained in trans health care either, but she is experienced with cis-woman HRT and so knows the dangers, and was willing to read up on trans stuff.  She is very detail oriented and cautious.

So an estrogen reading about 6 months ago of 600 gave her quite a start.   She didn't panic, but she was concerned about DVT's and clots, etc. .  So she had me stop my Estradiol completely for two weeks and re-tested.  It was lower, but still high at around 300.  So now I'm on half my usual dose, and we'll re-test in 4 months.  She really has no idea why it started to spike like that, but at least lowering the dosage had something of the desired effect.  She is aware of the negative physical and emotional effects of stopping HRT, so she asked me to monitor myself for adverse symptoms.  I appreciated her concern for my well being very much.  She is a bit of a grouch, but I'll gladly take a knowledgeable, informed and empathetic grouch any time.

My advice to y'all is, no matter how long you've been on hormones, please don't take it for granted.  Its powerful stuff, and if you aren't careful, it can bite you in the hiney.  If you have to ride herd on your doctor to do periodic testing, and really READ and understand the results, then do it.

Carolyn Marie

• Forum Moderator

Carolyn,  I hope things are getting back to normal for you.  That is also great advice. My medical team is familiar with HRT. My mental health pharmacist did her training at the VA in Salt Lake city where it has one of the top transgender clinics in the VA.

Kymmie

Kymmie, I was born and raised in Ogden! I was actually shocked how quickly and effortlessly it was to get my Birth Certificate amended. No questions asked!

Court order - $25 - stamped self addressed envelope... 10 days later... Bam. BD in hand!