• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stillbourne

Is this an urban myth?

Stillbourne

So in my research of transgender issues I came across an article. I wish I could remember more about it other than the discussion topic. The article was talking about how it could have been common practice in some delivery rooms for gender alteration surgeries to be completed on babies that came out "non binary".  It said it was possible in many cases that even the mothers would have been unaware.

Is something like this possible?

Saying it were possible, what kind of scars would be visible 40 years later?

Thoughts?

VickySGV

Back in the 1950's  and until just recently this type of procedure was done, on infants with ambiguous genitalia.  It is no myth.  Considering that ti was done on infants, scaring would be minimal because of the nature of infants skin.  What has happened to a few people who have been on this site, has been that only the outer surface was "corrected" they did not know at the time that deeper differences were still present and had not been corrected.  The State of California recently made it illegal to do it in the state.  Some hospitals kept records detailing exactly what happened, but others did hide this from even the parents our of "Kindness" and many doctors felt their judgment superseded that of the mother in particular, who was likely to have been still under anesthesia from the delivery while the infant was operated on.  Look up Dr. John Money and you will find quite a lot of stuff.

Stillbourne

Wow. Then this explains a lot about signals from my body awareness instincts. I've been "willing positive motion" in my pubic area. My entire lower abdomen carries a lot of trauma and stress. In the healings that have come it feels like "a pelvic floor"? It's hard to put most of it to words as I don't know the names of muscle groups and such. Bottom line, I feel like I could have been subject to something like this. It fits with some of the circumstances around birth stories, location, time frame, etc. Plus, from the forty years of being a well concealed gender confused person, I have learned that I need to trust my instincts. They've proven to be more reliable that I give them credit for or budget with. My soul feels like part of my body has been cut away and other parts are sewn together in wrong feeling connections. Over time, with meditation and manipulation, I have worked what I would call, scar like scab tissue to the surface in what seems like a line pattern in three places. Furthermore, it feels like there's a cave inside me. Not just emotionally, but sensorally. 

I will meditate more on it and see if I can include further study of it in part of my transition plan. 

Thank you for your input. Very informative and validating.

VickySGV

If you think you could have had that type of surgery, my suggestion it to go to your medical provider, tell them of your suspicions and see if they can do any type of check for the surgical scars.  Be honest with them since we are years down the road from the practice. 

Stillbourne

I have to ask why you would suggest I be honest with them? Of all that I've posted in this thread, if you suspect I might be less than honest about my process please don't disguise an accusation as advice. You may have used more words yet all I got from your comment was that you're calling -holy buckets- on me. As for the "advice"...

The treatment plan I cited is being managed by my doctor, psychiatrist, therapist, addictions counselor, friend of confidence and dog. What, when and why we discuss things, wasn't back story or disclaimers I thought I needed to include to ask for specific replies regarding a certain topic.

As for being years past the process?? 

My process is happening right now. Was there a date that passed where all bad things were stopped being done to all people everywhere?

Has no one done bad since?

I appreciate the volunteer consult. 

I asked a specific question, for a reason.

I commented about my personal experience, for a reason.

When I read the rules it said to be careful about advice and comments on other people's situations. The other thing I got from it was that we all have different paths. On them are different mixes of exposure to any of many varied forms of horrible practices used against us.

Do you know how much of my experience "shouldn't have happened"? ALL OF IT.

Pertaining to the information I enquired about, and your original reply to it, Thank you. Very informative. I will keep the issue in my plan, which, by the way, made amazing progress today. 

Not really sure I feel like sharing that part now.

Happy Friday.

Claire

VickySGV

My comment was not a question about your personal honesty with your team of caregivers.  As an Admin here I do not have time to read  everybody's posts in full depth 100% of the time.  Other people do read these posts though and harvest ideas from them looking toward their own ends and they will benefit from my comment.  Unlike other forums we do not allow attacks or engage in innuendo about a person's posts, we remove fantasy posters from the membership quickly though since they are not helpful.  You are still here. 

Jani
On 3/22/2019 at 9:47 PM, Stillbourne said:

Of all that I've posted in this thread, if you suspect I might be less than honest about my process please don't disguise an accusation as advice.

Claire I don't think that was the point.  I can state that I might not have been fully honest with my doctors in the past whether it was about my diet, depression or other concerns that I didn't really want to speak about.  IMO its human nature to ignore unpleasant or hard to discuss items.  Being transgender is certainly one.  I was terrified to tell my primary physician, but it was all for naught as he's been very understanding and supportive.   Sometimes we just need a gentle reminder that it is in our best interest to speak up.   All of us here want to see each other succeed and be happy.  

Cheers, Jani 

Josie Beth

I don’t know how this relates to your situation much but I found out years after leaving home that my mother had a chronic miscarriage issue that required special medical care. She had 4 children including myself but I have no idea how many didn’t make it except one for sure. In the late 60’s and early 70’s it was still common practice for doctors to inject hormones into expecting mothers with a history of miscarriage. I found out that this more than likely contributed to me having a more female brain. Is it the same thing as having SRS as an infant? No, but it’s just another example of outdated medicine that can effect individuals without their knowledge. I’m not even sure if there’s a fool proof way to test for what happened to me but I do think that your chances of discovery are much better if you suspect that you were surgically altered as a baby. 

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Who's Online   10 Members, 0 Anonymous, 53 Guests (See full list)

• Sally Stone
    • Lexa83
    • KathyLauren
    • Robin.C
    • Willa
    • Cyndee
    • Shay
    • Cris31
    • ElizabethStar
    • RunValRun
  • Topics With Zero Replies

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Adelaide
    Newest Member
    Adelaide

No users celebrating today
    • Michellle
      Great ,thanks Shay. I’ll keep that in mind. All I have to do is learn how to record via Dropbox... lol
    • Shay
      Gosh - the next song I heard tells it - when others give you negative - give them a flower and smile    
    • Sally Stone
      James,   I have identified as bi-gender for a long time.  Born male I enjoyed being so, but there was also a part of me that was female.  I have embraced both the male and female personas sharing my mind, and it has brought me happiness and contentment.  I have no desire to give up one gender for the other, instead, I express both.     Thank goodness things have changed in recent years, but there used to be this unwritten rule that a person had to choose a gender identity.  That is just ludicrous.  We humans are all different and it is absolutely okay to express the gender or genders of your choice.  I say explore your gender identities and express the one or the many that make you feel happy and complete.
    • Shay
      AUGUST 5 - I was thinking this morningthat each of us have our own journey in life and no one can tell you how you should live it and that we all have our struggles but we must embrace our fears and recognize every roadblock is just a short term issue to address to get to the who that you are.....   Secret 'O Life James Taylor   The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time Any fool can do it There ain't nothing to it Nobody knows how we got to The top of the hill But since we're on our way down We might as well enjoy the ride The secret of love is in opening up your heart It's okay to feel afraid But don't let that stand in your way 'Cause anyone knows that love is the only road And since we're only here for a while Might as well show some style Give us a smile Isn't it a lovely ride? Sliding down Gliding down Try not to try too hard It's just a lovely ride Now the thing about time is that time Isn't really real It's just your point of view How does it feel for you Einstein said he could never understand it all Planets spinning through space The smile upon your face Welcome to the human race Some kind of lovely ride I'll be sliding down I'll be gliding down Try not to try too hard It's just a lovely ride Isn't it a lovely ride? See me sliding down Gliding down Try not to try too hard It's just a lovely ride The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time      
    • Shay
      The most difficult thing I had to do (and that was recently) was to come out to friends and my wife. Once I did that I was finally able to move ahead. I am on HRT now, waiting for a new GT and anxious to becoming the woman I've denied all my life.   In regard to the support groups  if you didn't feel comfortable with them - you will need to find another group. At least you are with a support group here that I'm sure you realize TOTALLY SUPPORT you and are here for you always.    Smile - You've come a long way,   Heather Shay
    • RunValRun
      @QuestioningAmber When I first saw the title I thought it was an invitation to the flame wars Since asking to choose between those is akin to asking whether you should use 2 or 4 spaces for indentation - "the war must go on" and no side has clear reason to win (and yes, the battle over tabs is over, they lost) Then I read your post and sighed with a relief 😉   As I am in the midst of transitioning, I am quite invested to know what the future holds, but I guess my only option is to follow the rest of humanity at one-day-at-a-time pace One good thing about IT field is that unless you are in support or other position involved with users' interactions, you only need to be comfortable with your team. Depending on the size of the company, others either don't need to be made aware before you are ready or they will only meet Amber and would not be burdened with prior knowledge. For what its worth, I am looking forward to be a girl on the team - we are definitely lacking in female presentation 🤭  
    • Shay
      Michellle - there are 3 bass players here that are willing to add bass to any tracks you might have need of recording via dropbox.   Heather Shay
    • Robin
      I made the decision to come out to my brother and to a few of my friends very soon after coming to the realisation that I am trans.  This made me feel better as it was then out in the open and "official", rather than just going round and round in my head.   None of the people that I told had anything negative to say about it.  The only problems that I experienced were when I approached two transgender support groups, where, due to my male appearance, I was seen as an "admirer" and turned away.  That severely knocked my self confidence, just as I thought that I had finally found out what was "wrong" with me, and that my life was going to improve.    Robin.
    • ElizabethStar
      This really sounds like some of the things I struggled with. I was questioning and confused for many, many years. I really just needed more time, experimentation and self reflection to be sure.    
    • Michellle
      I agree, some people’s egos hold the whole band back. Me and my brothers always got along playing and recording together. It’s bass players we had issues with. I think they know they are in demand.
    • MiraM
      Very well said. I transitioned in 2000, and then de-transitioned in 2002.  I was miserable living as a man, and knew I was a woman, but I was just as miserable after transitioning, so I stopped HRT, and all therapy, and went back to living as a male...a depressed, alcoholic, suicidal male.  My mistake is that I thought transitioning was the "magic pill" that was going to solve all my problems.  It wasn't.  They were still there.   In 2016, after being laid off from my job, I went back into therapy.  My intention was not to transition at that time, but to try and work out the issues with my depression and C-PTSD.  About a year into therapy, we started addressing the gender dysphoria again, and I was referred to the man gender therapist at my VA Hospital.   After about 6 months of weekly sessions with her, we both felt that I was at a point where trying HRT again was possible.  I went back on HRT in January of 2018, and the outcome was different.  This time I actually started to feel comfortable with me.  I went full time again in August 2019 and haven't looked back.   I can attest to the fact that some of the people that de-transition have the mindset that I did the first time.  It is very important, mandatory in my opinion, that any and all co-morbid conditions be addressed and brought under control before transitioning.  If not, the outcome is likely to not be a positive one.  I for one am glad that my current medical team would not consider putting me on HRT until I had done so.  I think therapy is important after HRT and going full-time as well.  I still see my gender therapist every two weeks.
    • Timber Wolf
      Hi Holly Noel, Welcome to Transpulse. I'm glad you're here!   Lots of love and a big welcome hug, Timber Wolf 🐾
    • Cris31
      Just want to toss in my support and appreciation JamesM.  QuestioningAmber brings up a good point there that hit me pretty hard.  I'm still trying to figure out myself but it brings some comfort that there's a spectrum and not completely feeling like THIS or THAT all the time or completely is okay
    • Timber Wolf
      Hi Rory, Welcome to Transpulse. I'm glad you're here!   You're not alone anymore.   Lots of love and a big welcome hug, Timber Wolf 🐾
    • RunValRun
      OMG @Sally Stone, absolutely lovely nails. I always had preference for long nails, there is something indescribable and powerful they add to the woman's image.  
  • Upcoming Events