• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Transgender Weddings Are A Lot Like Other Weddings

VickySGV

• Admin

Friday and Saturday I was involved with helping a Trans Friend who is a somewhat known DJ setting up and running his audio at a Wedding of a Trans Woman to her cis-male partner of several years.    I own a fair amount of audio gear that I am happy to use for parties and get-togethers for our Trans community here in So. Calif. but it is hard work both in the set-up and the strike-down.  The Bride is also a friend of mine so using my stuff for her was a gift.

The wedding was the first Trans involved wedding at the Episcopal Church Cathedral in Los Angeles which is actually a very beautiful site for a wedding, and the cathedral no longer has pews that are bolted to the floor, and has chair seats that can be moved out of the way so that the main part of the church can be used for parties and dinners with just a few shifts of furniture.  I got the audio gear in place in time for the Rehearsal, and my DJ friend only had to go through the entrance march of the bridesmaids and Bride only about six times.  A little different from the normal run of the mill weddings, was that this one was being part of a documentary film about the bride who is a high visibility activist in the Latinx and Afro American Trans communities, and so I was plugging the film crew into my gear, and having to stay out of filming shots (which I am happy to do most of the time). 

The next day before the wedding, I had to set up a separate sound system in a garden beside the cathedral and was doing tech work in and outside, thus I had opted for the T-shirt of the Church's LGBT ministry that  I am part of, and my normal black slacks and black work shoes that I wear for any stage work I do.  This made me the only Trans Community member there not in their most feminine (or masculine")  "wedding guest" clothing which was extremely fabulous.  I found myself almost laughing about the contrast I made to many of them, but for what I was doing my clothing was just fine and I did not even WISH I could have been wearing that type of wear. 

The bride was beautiful as should be, and had the wonderful support of her mother who was in a very stunning dress herself.  The support for all of them was astounding and it was also a celebration of what being Trans is all about, being who you are in a safe place having just good fun.  

Sounds great!  You were very nice to have loaned your equipment and time for the couple and the community.  You are lucky to be in an area with such an involved and open trans community.  Also terrific to have a church that accepting.   Way to go!!

• Admin
1 hour ago, Josie Beth said:

I wish I could attend! I’m sure it’s going to be packed to the gills!

It did happen last Saturday, and it was packed.  The Bride has a lot of people who love her because of what she has done for her ethnic community and its Trans young people.