• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

LouiseRose1954

Makeup Remover

LouiseRose1954

So I went to Walmart and Target to purchase what I needed and I picked up a package of Equate fragrance free makeup remover wipes from Wal-Mart. I cannot pronounce half of what the ingredients are. I used them them first tme at the end of the night and my neck and face burned like crazy. Plus, I don't think they remove all the makeup and the fibers snag on my beard. I am shaving every morning, either with my Norelco rotating three blade rechargeable, or a five blade hand razor then using Witch Hazel and Jergen's Therapy Lotion after. This seems to calm down the burning from shaving before I apply makeup.

Is there a better makeup remover to use that won't burn and will remove all the makeup and don't snag on my beard? I heard Ponds or Oil of Olay are also used for this. Should I try one of those?

Jani

As to makeup removal, you can use baby oil on cotton puffs, witch hazel will work too.  I wash with Noxema cleanser and that does a nice job and leaves my face feeling good.  Pond's or Olay would be good too.  Afterwards I'll apply some Equate (walmart brand) age control day cream.  It's very light and not oily.  It compares to Olay Age Defying lotion but is less expensive. 

LouiseRose1954

Witch Hazel is a makeup remover too?  What doesn't it do?  Noxema. That was the name I was trying to think of. I used that before. Loved it?  Good. I can throw these torture wipes away. The only problem I have is using cotton puffs on this beard. The cotton gets caught in it.

Josie Beth

There’s usually sleeves of little round cotton wipes at both Walmart or any dollar store. They are not as fluffy as cotton balls and should leave less behind. I was introduced to noxeema and sea-breeze when I was still a teenager and they both are good for facial cleansers. There’s also a lot of new facial cleansers and exfoliating creams on the market. To slow down 5 o’clock shadow I shave with aveeno positively smooth which really does keep my face smoother for longer. Exfoliating also helps expose any hair hiding under any dead skin cells so they don’t get missed during a shave. I’m using the same equate age defying cream both night and day, but I am seriously thinking about getting some meaningful beauty even though it’s expensive. Witch hazel is very versatile.  

LouiseRose1954
Just now, Josie Beth said:

There’s usually sleeves of little round cotton wipes at both Walmart or any dollar store. They are not as fluffy as cotton balls and should leave less behind. I was introduced to noxeema and sea-breeze when I was still a teenager and they both are good for facial cleansers. There’s also a lot of new facial cleansers and exfoliating creams on the market. To slow down 5 o’clock shadow I shave with aveeno positively smooth which really does keep my face smoother for longer. Exfoliating also helps expose any hair hiding under any dead skin cells so they don’t get missed during a shave. I’m using the same equate age defying cream both night and day, but I am seriously thinking about getting some meaningful beauty even though it’s expensive. Witch hazel is very versatile.  

What is Sea Breeze and what do you recommend for exfoliating cream?

Josie Beth

There’s lots of sugar or brown sugar based exfoliating creams, or you can look on YouTube for recipes to make it yourself. Also known as exfoliating scrubs. 

Sea breeze is is an astringent similar to witch hazel. It’s usually good for sensitive skin.

https://www.amazon.com/Sea-Breeze-Fresh-Clean-Astringent-Sensitive/dp/B000O8Y7TS

EliAtkins
33 minutes ago, Josie Beth said:

There’s lots of sugar or brown sugar based exfoliating creams, or you can look on YouTube for recipes to make it yourself. Also known as exfoliating scrubs.

I actually used to make a lot of exfoliating scrubs.  If you're looking for a face cleanser, be careful with sugar because using too often can actually irritate the face.  I used to use baking soda in the ones for the face....baking soda, honey, and olive oil (most recipes call for either almond oil or coconut oil, but I have allergies to both of those) plus whatever essential oils for fragrance.

Carolyn Marie

I use Almay pads to remove my eye makeup, and Noxema for the rest of my face, followed by Dove soap.

Carolyn Marie

Kirsten

I use charcoal makeup remover wipes and then wash with a Neutrogena daily face wash and follow that up with Elizabeth Arden face cream. 

A tip tip for the wipes is that if you wet your eyes with warm water before you use the wipes, they seem to work 100x faster and easier. 

LouiseRose1954

Since I had the ingredients, I made the sugar with olive oil scrub and put peppermint oil in. I had a natural brown bar soap that looked like dark or maple oatmeal and used it to clean my face before using the scrub. The scrub felt wonderful. So is the sensitive sea breeze better than Witch hazel?

LouiseRose1954
20 hours ago, EliAtkins said:

I actually used to make a lot of exfoliating scrubs.  If you're looking for a face cleanser, be careful with sugar because using too often can actually irritate the face.  I used to use baking soda in the ones for the face....baking soda, honey, and olive oil (most recipes call for either almond oil or coconut oil, but I have allergies to both of those) plus whatever essential oils for fragrance.

We just moved and for some reason I cannot find any baking soda. I know I had at least two boxes. But for now I am stuck with using the sugar. I will get the baking soda after the seventh. Or whenever they deposit my check.

LouiseRose1954

Thanks Carolyn and Kirsten. I will have to try those.

EliAtkins
1 hour ago, LouiseRose1954 said:

We just moved and for some reason I cannot find any baking soda. I know I had at least two boxes. But for now I am stuck with using the sugar. I will get the baking soda after the seventh. Or whenever they deposit my check.

Something I just thought of...  I don't know if it would help with the irritation in the beard area, but one trick I used to use when shaving my legs was to use an exfoliating scrub, shave and then use the exfoliating scrub again.  It left my legs feeling so soft and silky so I highly recommend it for shaving arms/legs/underarms.  I don't know if I'd want to do that with a sugar scrub on my face, but I figured I'd mention it in case it's something you wanted to try.

LouiseRose1954

Baby oil was mentioned for removing makeup. I do not have that, but that led me to thinking maybe petroleum jelly would suffice. The sugar scrub was too irritating, so I will wait for the soda. I should get a check soon.  I tried the jelly and it worked. I removed the makeup, washed with my oatmeal soap, followed with Witch Hazel and moisturized with the Suave Advanced Therapy lotion.  My face felt really good and no stinging.

Jani

I would imagine pet-jelly would work.  Just go light with it.  If you can find a way, the baby oil works very nice and leaves your face soft and smooth.  

Jani

LouiseRose1954

Well I bought baby oil and a sleeve of cotton rounds. The first time I tried to use the baby oil on them and my rough beard they tore apart and left more cotton stuck to my beard that cotton balls. So I went back to the drawing board and decided to fold a half piece of paper towel into a small square and use it. That seems to work the best. Then I use Witch hazel. My face is usually still oily so I was with an oatmeal based brown bar soap and rinse in cold water. Then use the witch hazel again. Then I moisturize. By the way, has anyone heard of L'OJESETTE anti-aging creams? I have been using that for the past week for the moisturizer at night and in the morning. I do not notice anything different so far. Maybe after the required 30 days there will be a difference. A review site recommends Stemuderm instead. Maybe I should have read this review before buying. I will let you know if anything works.

LouiseRose

SallyGreen

I use coconut oil in combination with face brush https://www.bestadvisers.co.uk/face-brush. I think it's the best natural way to remove makeup. Also, I think it's a good budget variant because coconut oil is really cheap and also moisturizing your skin. One in two.  

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 131 Guests (See full list)

• J.Ryan
  • Topics With Zero Replies

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

FridaKahlo28
    Newest Member
    FridaKahlo28

1. FrozenWinter
      FrozenWinter
      (18 years old)
    • J.Ryan
      Holdin My Own, Eric Church https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVc3tCw0fN0   "Always been a fighter, scrapper, and a clawer Used up some luck in lawyers Like Huck from Tom Sawyer jumped on my raft And shoved off chasing my dreams Reeling in big fishes I had some hits, a few big misses I gave 'em hell and got a few stitches And these days, I show off my scars"   "And when my time on Earth is done I want they write it on my stone I lived, loved, and died holdin' my own"  
    • Alex C
      hey Catiosern what's the name of product?
    • J.Ryan
      I may be in the minority, but I love some good country music.  Currently listening to the the best: Eric Church, Some of It.   "Some of it you learn the hard way Some of it you read on a page Some of it comes from heartbreak Most of it comes with age And none of it ever comes easy A bunch of it you maybe can't use  know I don't probably know what I think I do But there's somethin' to Some of it"
    • Susan R
      Yes Belle, the commitment is an issue at this time.  I have a lot on my plate right now as it is.  I went to a new member orientation 2 weeks ago which was an introduction for newcomers within the church.  Next Sunday, those that commit to membership and all that entails will be introduced formally in front of the church.   My wife and I did not commit at the end of orientation meeting or during that following week.  The pastor called us a few days ago to ask if we had yet considered membership and he pointed out that he wasn’t trying to put any pressure on us to make the decision but that he wanted us to feel welcome.  Unfortunately, I had to tell him my thoughts about where I felt the church was inclusively based on a two recent negative homophobic experiences with members.  I told him that I will continue to attend but it is much too early in the process to commit and get fully onboard and I didn’t feel the church is far enough along in their Inclusiveness Doctrine.  I added that it would not be smart at this time for my wife and I to be introduced formally as new members in front of the congregation.  We would likely be ostracized for being the only open lesbian couple in the church.  He said he understood.  Sadly, I did feel like I was letting him down big time and it bothers me because since I’ve been there the focus has been heavy on inclusiveness message.  I thought I was better than that and should not care what others think.  However, after what happened earlier today at the end of the class, I believe I made the correct decision to hold off on any commitment to this church...at least for now.  I can always reconsider at any time.   Belle, you are correct though.  If I stay and help the church with this new focus (as a member or not), I’m bound to have more negative homophobic experiences along the way.  I will be hurt.  So it’s a gamble but it might all be worth it in the end if I can grow a thicker skin.   Thanks for your take on this, Susan R🌷
    • VickySGV
      This is a group that has splintered off from the Roman Catholic church proper and is not under the Pope.
    • Belle
      Interesting, Susan. I have attended a very conservative evangelical church for a long time. When I started realizing what was happening to me I had to run toward the nearest affirming church I could find. They have already gone through what you are talking about, and have a thriving LGBTQ+ congregation.   It might be helpful to find out if the church is only doing this to stay in line with the denomination leadership (i.e., check all the check boxes and get a good score) or if the leadership of the church is genuinely interested in learning how to love and accept those in the LGBTQ+ community.   Also, if you intend to be a pioneer of this change in that church then you probably want to make sure you are really able to commit for the long haul. The Church is made up of imperfect people, and you will undoubtedly be hurt by people in the church during this struggle.   I'm glad to hear that you are making an impact.   Belle ❤
    • Carolyn Marie
      https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/religion/story/2020-02-16/first-transgender-nonbinary-priest-ordained   This is great.  I wish them all the best.  I just hope they don't get any pushback from the Church.   Carolyn Marie
    • Carolyn Marie
      https://www.bigcountryhomepage.com/news/dozens-of-transgender-migrants-arrive-at-border-want-asylum-in-us/   Carolyn Marie
    • Aidan5
      My brother has finally ticked off my explosion meter. I was doing so good too, but I drew the line when he called me and my friend on the bus "f*ggots" I ignored it so I wouldn't cause a scene but a few days later (Today) I lost it because he brought it up again. I usually don't resort to violence, but I have had enough of his shizzle he is going to be 18 next week and joining the navy in July, he should know that he isn't allowed to discriminate. I could care less that he called me the name, no one messes with my friends. He had it coming, I know it hurt him and I have no pity for him, he can throw some ice on it and grow up. I think I got my message across, I am sorry to those who would never recommend violence, I truly am sorry but he has been pissing me off like it was a game. Little did he know I stay up working out and building muscle, thanks to months of working out I can bench over 100 lbs.    I did get in trouble and I took full responsibility.  
    • Susan R
      That nice young lady doing the video had some sage advice.  I’m glad you listened to your conscious with her helpful counterpoints and did what was best for you.   Susan R🌷
    • Susan R
      I empathize with you and this exact situation.  This scenario of having my new default email used as I wrote a quick note to an old neighbor.  Not quite as life changing as your well-meaning family member’s “reply to all” but I still had some explaining to do.  It’s all water under the bridge at this point but I still remember the feeling of my stomach hitting the floor after the realization of what had just happened.  I’m sure everything will work out in the end but your timeline definitely changed at that very instant.   My Best, Susan R🌷  
    • catiosern
      I started off 'amazed soft', now 'worried amazed soft'. Suppose you walk into your office workplace and your mildly grumpy burned-out co-workers were being suddenly extra-nice to you. You would start out amazed, then you would wonder what's up. This is kind of the same feeling.   I am of two minds on this. Logically I know there aren't any magic bullets. Logically, if this somehow was, an entire type of cosmetic surgery would become obsolete. This product would not have dozens of reviews, it would have thousands. And it wouldn't be able to be bought online, it would be a prescription.    Besides logic there is raw results. Somethings is definitely happening. As the old adage goes "The best is the enemy of the good". Is it perfect? no. Is it worrying? yes. Will I continue? with reservations, yes. I suppose if I wanted definitive results I could see a doctor, and that's not happening.   I do appreciate the help and advise.    Many thanks (really, truly, thank you)
    • MetaLicious
      When I first knew I going to transition (before I had consciously decided), I began looking for resources to help me get the genie back in the bottle.  I would Google things like "how to deal with being trans" hoping that someone had some wisdom about how to suck it up and keep pretending nothing was amiss.   I came across a video on YouTube from the TransitionChannel, titled something like "Excuses to avoid transition." The nice young lady proceeded to shoot down every single argument I had made against transitioning.  One of the excuses was "I'd make a terrible woman" and her response was "You don't know that!"   The past couple of days I have gotten "ma'am", "miss", and "lady" from strangers, and I have come to realize that she was right.  I didn't know.  I could not ever know if I had not tried.
    • MetaLicious
      I know this to be true, and I was hoping to wait for "the right time" to bring it up with my wife, but...  This morning I took a picture of my sons, both smiling, and the wife urged me to send it out, so I did, to all my immediate family.  Little did I realize that Google selected my new email address to send it from - complete with my new name!   The next thing I know, I am getting a reply from a very caring and very well-meaning family member asking if that is what I would like to be called, and what are my pronouns now, etcetera.  Only it is not just a reply - it is a reply-to-all!   I once told my wife that if there was a button that could instantly and permanently make me female, I would press it without hesitation, and deal with the fallout later. I also told her that the only thing that could make me hesitate would be a button that would allow me to change my gender at will.   My wife saw my exploration of my femininity as a broadening of my space of possibilities. She sees my choice of a feminine name as a rejection of my masculinity, and a narrowing of that space.  She said she married a Michael, and is now wondering if all our years together were a lie.  By the goddess, that one hurt!   Now I need to talk to her, I need to find the words to say how I feel while leaving her the space to have her own feelings.  There was only self-deception - I never lied to her. She always knew I had a female side, the only revelation is how much larger that side of me is.  And, for the life of me, I cannot see how being true to myself could narrow my being.  Confining myself to a male presentation has only led to anger, anxiety, depression, and drug abuse.  Since coming out, I have been calmer and happier, and it took some effort, but I am clean now, as well.   I do not want to rush her, because she will need time to process something significant like a name change (she acknowledged that it is a bigger deal than "just" coming out).  I do, however, want her to keep in mind the positive effects of the changes I have made so far.  I want to try and see the positive potential for changes that may yet come.   I don't know why, but it really makes my evening to hear you say that, Ms Maddie!  Thank you!  Maybe I should just take the name "Meta" - it seems equally feminine and masculine...
    • ShawnaLeigh
      Thank you all so much. This thread has been more affirming to me that any other I’ve posted. You all make me feel so loved welcomed and now pretty.  I mean seriously.  I did not expect anyone to say anything really.  Thank you... ok your going to make me cry.  Lol
  • Upcoming Events