• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

First time Dealing with security checkpoints and the airlines

Ellora

Hi! I will be at my 1 month mark by the time I travel via an airplane for the first time after starting my Lady Meds. .i probably won’t be showing enough boobage at the time, but at some point I know I might have to deal with any possible confusion. I have already had some comments and eye lingering after using breast pumps and my nipple aspirators (all while I was wearing boy clothes.)

My question is for anyone out there that  that has had to deal with any issues while having to go through the security lines at the airports ?  (I will be in boy clothes, but I would like to hear from anyone, past or present, in whatever you chose to wear.) 

Thank you! 

For I am 15 and identify as a male, I do get looks and comments. I travel to Europe every other year so I do know what to expect. People will stare and have rude and some uplifting comments. All I would say is just keep to yourself unless someone is actually interested in your transition. You will find that there are a lot of supportive people out there. I can say I did have issues about my picture for it was from 4 years ago for this recent summer. I have changes a lot and chopped my hair and wore a lot more masc clothes. It took a while for them to see that the man that appeared as a girl in the photo was me. People do get confused by what they see, but they will soon push it away as a last minute thought, since everyone is rushing around to their spot. I would just say to not worry about it unless someone gets physical, which has never happened to me before. Though while I was at the airport I was in comfortable stretchy clothes, such as leggings and a big sweatshirt. 

• Admin
36 minutes ago, Ellora said:

I have already had some comments and eye lingering after using breast pumps and my nipple aspirators (

Especially now that you are on HRT, please quit using those devices.  In a few months, they will become painful, but as your actual mammary ducts are unpacking and growing out, they could cause blood vessel problems that the HRT can amplify for the worst.  You will not hurry breast development with them, or make the tissue grow to a fuller size with them.  (3 to 6 years in the making. )

If you are still in male mode while traveling, just wear looser clothing and the "girl juice" effects will not be seen if you are acting male with male ID.  Even on the "boy" setting on the airport scanners, your breast tissue will be seen as a "moob" not a "boob".  I would suggest NOT tucking other than wearing a pair of support panties if you are trying to avoid security notice while your ID says male.  Keep a pleasant attitude toward the security personnel no matter how big a jerk they seem.  A "friend" of mine has problems just about every time she is in an airport line because of her hostile attitude toward the security personnel, and she is post op with female ID, so go figure. 

I traveled several times in female mode during my pre name / gender change days and the worst I had was a comment about how my hair had grown since my DL picture had been taken one time while I was wearing a wig.  On the same trip one person re-checking ID in a connecting terminal when I had not left the security area between planes did look and act surprised at the discrepancy in looks and ID but it was as if I was the first Trans person she had seen, and not hostile.  (It was in Utah.)  

The most common attention I have gotten post op has been my dilators in my carry on luggage and just a gentle ladylike explanation that they are medical tools for some vaginal surgery has caused some blushing on the faces of a couple of male screeners. 

I took a trip in January, presenting as female but with my male identifying id, and I had no issues. The body scanner was fine even with tucking and the TSA agents checking ID were very chill. I was surprised, actually. 

I think self-confidence is your friend in these situations. You're not doing anything wrong and you have as much right to be traveling as anyone else. 

• Admin

I traveled after starting HRT but before social transition and never had a problem at the TSA checkpoint.  After transitioning I have never had a problem, even when being "frisked" for the random extra security protocol.  I worried about the latter b/c I've had an orchiectomy and wondered if the screener would notice or ask about the "discrepancy," but she did not, and I was sent happily on my way.

I agree with Vicky; unless a screener is being a total ass, I would just ignore stares and smile and keep going.  Even if they were being an ass, I would keep my cool and ask to speak to a supervisor.  It helps nothing to get up in their face.  They hold all the cards, after all.

Carolyn Marie

I'll be travelling presenting female in just over a week and will report back here when I get home. By the time I travel, I'll have been on HRT for just under a month, so no physical changes and my name/passport is still male. However, I'll be using extensions and have basic make up, so I'm expecting a comment or question or two. Also, I'm going U.K. to/from Europe, so perhaps quite different to travelling in the USA, but there are still fundamentals that are the same here and there. Of course, if you're travelling before me, then my experience might not be of much use. ;)

5 hours ago, VickySGV said:

Especially now that you are on HRT, please quit using those devices.  In a few months, they will become painful, but as your actual mammary ducts are unpacking and growing out, they could cause blood vessel problems that the HRT can amplify for the worst.  You will not hurry breast development with them, or make the tissue grow to a fuller size with them.  (3 to 6 years in the making. )

If you are still in male mode while traveling, just wear looser clothing and the "girl juice" effects will not be seen if you are acting male with male ID.  Even on the "boy" setting on the airport scanners, your breast tissue will be seen as a "moob" not a "boob".  I would suggest NOT tucking other than wearing a pair of support panties if you are trying to avoid security notice while your ID says male.  Keep a pleasant attitude toward the security personnel no matter how big a jerk they seem.  A "friend" of mine has problems just about every time she is in an airport line because of her hostile attitude toward the security personnel, and she is post op with female ID, so go figure. 

I traveled several times in female mode during my pre name / gender change days and the worst I had was a comment about how my hair had grown since my DL picture had been taken one time while I was wearing a wig.  On the same trip one person re-checking ID in a connecting terminal when I had not left the security area between planes did look and act surprised at the discrepancy in looks and ID but it was as if I was the first Trans person she had seen, and not hostile.  (It was in Utah.)  

The most common attention I have gotten post op has been my dilators in my carry on luggage and just a gentle ladylike explanation that they are medical tools for some vaginal surgery has caused some blushing on the faces of a couple of male screeners. 

Hi! and Thank you! Excellent point! I will be putting the "devices away asap! I just noticed that my sports bra is fitting a little better than before. I am actually looking forward to the "pain" the "girl juice" will bring, so i can feel like something is happening, not just see. Of course i will probably regret saying that if they get bumped into, lol.

I need to get some comfy traveling clothes! I have gotten rid of most of my boy cloths, so now i have 2 pairs of jeans and some shorts. I threw away all of my baggy cargo shorts and t shirts. 90% of my clothes are women's clothing. LOL, "moob" made me lol, I have never used anything to tuck yet, and I have kept some standby jockeys, In the near future I plan to get a  orchiectomy, so will definitely make more room in my shorts, lol, that will be interesting. Maybe i should get a extra long jacket, lol. 

I have long hair and usually keep it in a pony tail. sometimes when TSA and Heathrow, makes me remove  my hair tie, i get glances  at my long naturally curly hair, some good some confused, lol. Fortunately my DL pic matches before i let my hair down.

I will heed that advice when I get to that step. I looove your response!  I need to plan out the down time. 

Thank you again for your response, you gave me some wonderful advice! xoxo

5 hours ago, SugarMagnolia said:

I took a trip in January, presenting as female but with my male identifying id, and I had no issues. The body scanner was fine even with tucking and the TSA agents checking ID were very chill. I was surprised, actually. 

I think self-confidence is your friend in these situations. You're not doing anything wrong and you have as much right to be traveling as anyone else. 

Hi! Good to hear! Great point, "self confidence," is exactly what I need to feel and be confident. And an even better point is, "You're not doing anything wrong and you have as much right to be traveling as anyone else." That sums it up right there. thanks

Thank you for your wonderful words!

16 minutes ago, jo_g said:

I'll be travelling presenting female in just over a week and will report back here when I get home. By the time I travel, I'll have been on HRT for just under a month, so no physical changes and my name/passport is still male. However, I'll be using extensions and have basic make up, so I'm expecting a comment or question or two. Also, I'm going U.K. to/from Europe, so perhaps quite different to travelling in the USA, but there are still fundamentals that are the same here and there. Of course, if you're travelling before me, then my experience might not be of much use. ;)

All of this helps. Because I know Im not alone, and everyone words, are words of encouragement, and that counts. Best of luck, safe flights and I hope you enjoy your holiday! 

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

So, I am back and I survived! Overall, everything was fine.

As a recap, I was presenting as female, jeans, a top and denim jacket. I was using some padding in my bra to help with the shape because there is no growth yet (as expected) and my 1month HRT-versary is just over 3 days away. Luckily, being on the large side of the scale, with the padding and pushing the male chest-flab inwards gives a reasonable looking breast. I had done make up which was perhaps a bit more than most cis women might put on for travelling early morning, but they don't need to contour and cover up stubble that will grow during the day, so yeah. ;) I also had extensions in, army hair is not long enough yet for me to feel confident without extensions.

Anyway, on to the airport... I went through security without a problem. If people noticed anything, no one said anything and security were polite and respectful. I think most people are too worried/pre-occupied to notice/care and the staff must be used to the occasional trans person. Showing the boarding pass and passport sucks, as my legal name is still on them and anyone who sees it will obvs know(if they didn't already "read" me). But key thing here is that despite people knowing, the worst that happened was a stare or a disapproving head shake (only one of those - from an older "gentleman").

On the way back, I tried to go through the facial scanner, but it didn't recognise me, so feeling embarrassed, had to use the other queue. Then the security officer took a long look at my passport and at me. Then asked me to sign some paper to check the signature. He was totally professional and minimal fuss. Wished me a safe onward journey. Was pretty hot too, but I'm married, so ?‍♀️

Anyway, I feel like I've learned that things are much better than they used to be (from the stories) and I'm glad I did it. Wouldn't trade it for anything else and slightly gutted I have to go back to male mode again. =/ 

Hopefully this helps you with your questions about your upcoming travel and I hope it all goes well! ❤️

• Admin

Glad all went well for you, Jo.  Our fears are rarely borne out, thankfully.

I just returned from a trip, too.  When I went through the full body scanner, I glanced at the screen, and my knees and crotch were shown as anomalies.  They did a physical (touch) of my knees, but did not even ask about my crotch area (whew!).  I haven't had surgery on my knees, so have no idea what that was about.  Anywho, no other probs.

Carolyn Marie

• Admin
Just now, Carolyn Marie said:

I haven't had surgery on my knees, so have no idea what that was about. 

Hmmm -- I have had surgery above my knees (GCS) and they still had a blip on the inside thigh area the last trip I was on.  Whazzup?

On 4/16/2019 at 6:11 PM, Carolyn Marie said:

Glad all went well for you, Jo

Thanks! And I'm glad your trip went well, too. :D

On 4/16/2019 at 12:13 PM, jo_g said:

Hi!

So, I am back and I survived! Overall, everything was fine.

As a recap, I was presenting as female, jeans, a top and denim jacket. I was using some padding in my bra to help with the shape because there is no growth yet (as expected) and my 1month HRT-versary is just over 3 days away. Luckily, being on the large side of the scale, with the padding and pushing the male chest-flab inwards gives a reasonable looking breast. I had done make up which was perhaps a bit more than most cis women might put on for travelling early morning, but they don't need to contour and cover up stubble that will grow during the day, so yeah. ;) I also had extensions in, army hair is not long enough yet for me to feel confident without extensions.

Anyway, on to the airport... I went through security without a problem. If people noticed anything, no one said anything and security were polite and respectful. I think most people are too worried/pre-occupied to notice/care and the staff must be used to the occasional trans person. Showing the boarding pass and passport sucks, as my legal name is still on them and anyone who sees it will obvs know(if they didn't already "read" me). But key thing here is that despite people knowing, the worst that happened was a stare or a disapproving head shake (only one of those - from an older "gentleman").

On the way back, I tried to go through the facial scanner, but it didn't recognise me, so feeling embarrassed, had to use the other queue. Then the security officer took a long look at my passport and at me. Then asked me to sign some paper to check the signature. He was totally professional and minimal fuss. Wished me a safe onward journey. Was pretty hot too, but I'm married, so ?‍♀️

Anyway, I feel like I've learned that things are much better than they used to be (from the stories) and I'm glad I did it. Wouldn't trade it for anything else and slightly gutted I have to go back to male mode again. =/ 

Hopefully this helps you with your questions about your upcoming travel and I hope it all goes well! ❤️

Hi! Tyty and I think that’s wonderful you were able to go through the security checkpoint and airport with little to no problems! I can’t wait until I am ready to step out into this world wearing what I wear at home. I am getting close. I will probably try in the hear future,  Your experience and the others here have inspired me! ?

On 4/16/2019 at 1:11 PM, Carolyn Marie said:

Glad all went well for you, Jo.  Our fears are rarely borne out, thankfully.

I just returned from a trip, too.  When I went through the full body scanner, I glanced at the screen, and my knees and crotch were shown as anomalies.  They did a physical (touch) of my knees, but did not even ask about my crotch area (whew!).  I haven't had surgery on my knees, so have no idea what that was about.  Anywho, no other probs.

Carolyn Marie

Hi! Glad you didn’t get hassled. I’m curious about the knees tho...

On the way over, I was “Randomly “ search as usual, ? but I didn’t have any other issues. During the scan, can they see what type of underwear people wear? If so, they didn’t say anything about the thong I wore, unless that’s why the machine was triggered? I got a really snuggly “pat down” or should I say “feel up” ?. If and when I have my Orchiectomy, i would’ve if I would get sent to secondary? ? 

I head back home tonight, so we shall see how this goes. Reminder, I’m dressed as a boy still, with the exception of my thong. ? 

7 hours ago, Ellora said:

Your experience and the others here have inspired me! ?

❤️ Happy to help. :) 

I very much doubt a thong would trigger any search, but, yeah... ?‍♀️

I hope your journey back goes well and there are no more "random" searches...

On 4/16/2019 at 1:11 PM, Carolyn Marie said:

The scanners don't see underwear, but they sense heat, which is probably why your crotch showed up as an anomaly. The TSA agent has to select 'male' or 'female' and each has different areas where heat is concentrated.

I recently went on a trip to New York, and even though I'm pre-everything (I was binding my chest though), the agent selected me as 'male' for the scanner and had to do a small pat down because my chest showed up as an anomaly.

16 hours ago, jo_g said:

❤️ Happy to help. :) 

I very much doubt a thong would trigger any search, but, yeah... ?‍♀️

I hope your journey back goes well and there are no more "random" searches...

Hi! Thanks! The rest of the way back went really well. No more “random” searches! Yay! ? ?

11 hours ago, L0gan said:

The scanners don't see underwear, but they sense heat, which is probably why your crotch showed up as an anomaly. The TSA agent has to select 'male' or 'female' and each has different areas where heat is concentrated.

I recently went on a trip to New York, and even though I'm pre-everything (I was binding my chest though), the agent selected me as 'male' for the scanner and had to do a small pat down because my chest showed up as an anomaly.

Hi! Oooooh, that’s interesting. Good thing to know, especially since I’m planning to get a Orchiectomy, and then eventually completing with a vaginoplasty , my “heat signature would change I suppose.