• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Sistersister

How to Deal With Childhood Gender Roles and a Transitioning Sibling

Sistersister

My brother just told me he thinks he may be transgender (he is still using He/Him pronouns). I love my brother more than anyone in the world, he is my best friend, and I'd do anything for him. I consider myself to be very open minded and I absolutely believe in trans rights and supporting and loving trans people. I've known and been friends with trans people over the years and I've never had any problem. But I'm struggling with my brother coming out. We were raised very religiously and with strong gender roles and so the family dynamic growing up was one in which he got to run and play and do anything he wants while my sister and I stayed behind to help clean or learn how to cook. My entire family has since realized the flaws in this system and we've turned away from it but I'm still having trouble. I spent so many years being jealous of how care free he could be, while I had to worry about changing his diapers. Being raised to be a caretaker is intrinsic to my experience as a woman, and how I relate to the other women in my life. How do I get over this and wholeheartedly accept my new sister?

MaryMary

Teach him how to clean and find him a job as a babysitter. So he will learn and know what it was/is like for you. Meanwhile, sit down and just watch him and laugh :D I used to babysit when I was young and it helped me a lot when it was time to take care of my 2 child

MaryMary

I changed a lot of diapers, lol oh boy... good memories.

MaryMary

It’s so special for me reading this because when I was young my mother was a mechanic and my sister a soldier. I was the more feminine one in my family. Woman in my family would never hold a special defining place for care taking in their identity. I understand what you mean tough and think that in that case maybe it’s better to live in the present and to understand she will fit in the big picture of the whole society

Sistersister
5 hours ago, MaryMary said:

Teach him how to clean and find him a job as a babysitter. So he will learn and know what it was/is like for you. Meanwhile, sit down and just watch him and laugh :D I used to babysit when I was young and it helped me a lot when it was time to take care of my 2 child

4 hours ago, MaryMary said:

It’s so special for me reading this because when I was young my mother was a mechanic and my sister a soldier. I was the more feminine one in my family. Woman in my family would never hold a special defining place for care taking in their identity. I understand what you mean tough and think that in that case maybe it’s better to live in the present and to understand she will fit in the big picture of the whole society

Hahaha, that's a good idea. I'm already laughing at the idea. Thank you so much for responding, your advice is really helpful. I think living in the moment will be really important for me, and I'm excited to see how he'll grow into his future role in society. And a big part of me is really excited for him to be able to live more authentically (we have a date set for this week for me to teach him how to put on mascara). But I am still concerned about how I treat him in the future, if he does decide that he is a woman. A big part of our relationship is that I take care of him, part of that is just that I'm older than him but part of it is the gender roles we were raised with. Do I stop taking care of him so much?

MaryMary

well, that's a question of opinion. I think you should stop, I don't what age he is but if he's old enough he must be able to take care of himself anyway. But, that's just how I see it. I have a sister that's 12 years older then me and she never took care of me beyond the age of 8 or 9. I think all of this does not have to be about gender roles, just what's best and growing up (again IMO). If you still support him and accept him and if you are there for him as a sister, you know, then it will be great. I don't know if he will transition, but if he does then he will need those big sister tips for womanhood, you'll have to show him how it's done and if he put a dress that's ugly (because he'll probably do) then tell him ;)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Who's Online   3 Members, 0 Anonymous, 63 Guests (See full list)

• Carolyn Marie
    • The Viv Element
    • J.Ryan
  • Topics With Zero Replies

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Trisha17
    Newest Member
    Trisha17

1. Emmacd
      Emmacd
      (43 years old)
    2. Fish(i just want answers)
      Fish(i just want answers)
    3. Rainford
      Rainford
    • Carolyn Marie
      https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/brazilian-transgender-dancer-shatters-carnival-parade-taboo-69156339     Carolyn Marie
    • VickySGV
      Report of the 2015 Transgender Survey by the National Center For Transgender Equality.    https://www.transequality.org/sites/default/files/docs/USTS-Full-Report-FINAL.PDF   Discussion of Suicidal Thoughts And Behaviors  on page 112.  
    • Susan R
      It’s a pleasure to meet you, Ivy. You might not think you’ve started your transition but you’ve already worked past a difficult part of your journey.  You recognize that the roller coaster is just going to continue moving along the endless track unless you stop what you’ve been doing and get off.  You’ve taken a few steps in the right direction.  Counseling with a therapist specializing in gender issues was a smart move and joining us here is another great step in the right direction.  You'll meet others to help you gain perspective which in turn will help you sidestep the land mines along the way.  Often you’ll discover something here that you’ll want to discuss with your therapist.  You sound like your in good hands.  Take it slow and enjoy yourself.  I’m glad your here!   Warmest Regards, Susan R🌷
    • Debra Michelle
      I will get used to wearing glasses.With me being 41,I knew this eye exam was needed and knew the vision problems were going to start sometime.
    • Alex C
      Well Mary what you decided you make it word. Be proud, Be safe and Kick Ass
    • Jani
      I'm going to need eye surgery this year for early onset of cataracts due to my medication.  I've been terrified of this but have been told by many (including my parents) that its quick, simple and painless.  So my fear has been ramped down considerably.  My spouse had Lasik surgery years ago (very similar) and she experienced no pain or side effects.  So when the time comes don't be fearful.    
    • Debra Michelle
      Went in for my eye exam which I do have done each year.Eye doctor did see something with my left eye, astigmatism and told me time for glasses or surgery.Decided on the glasses which are on order.There was no way they were going to stick something in my eye to fix it.I did see a few of the letters were blurry
    • Astrid
      Waving to you, Ivy!  Good to see another non-binary person join us!  We're all here for each other.   Best wishes on the journey ahead,   Astrid
    • Astrid
      I began HRT on Dec 4th, 2019, less than 3 months ago.  Everyone's timetable will vary.   Mine certainly did:  breast soreness began at 3 weeks, breast buds formed at 4 weeks, and tissue growth began in earnest.  I understand why my doctor said that growth usually doesn't begin until 3 to 6 months in (because that's the average response she sees in her patients).  As I've remarked elsewhere in other posts, I've actually reduced my patch size/daily dose to slow growth down, as I'm non-binary and don't have significant breast growth as a goal.  I'm a living experiment in whether, for me, I can continue with microdosing.  The coming 6 months or so will tell, I think.   Body hair (for example, on legs) is now smoother.  Chest hair isn't, because I'm at the stage where electrolysis has removed almost all of it 😊.   Since an initial flurry of questions (via the health portal for my HRT facility), I've personally found a less stressful approach for me is to chill a bit and not be super-anxious about every small little thing I might notice.  It will happen when it happens, if it happens.  I'm just happy that estradiol really IS addressing my dysphoria -- I now have positive developments that I can dwell on, even small ones, and that's a good thing!  And, yes, I cherish being more emotional, too!   Astrid
    • ToniTone
      Welcome Ivy! This forum is a very supportive place with lots of friendly people. Glad you are here with us 💕   ~Toni
    • Charlize
      Welcome Ivy. My time here certainly has helped me live as and accept myself. Hope you find the same!   Hugs,   Charlize
    • MaryMary
      I spent a lot of time learning to talk with a deep voice and a lot of time learning to "retalk" with a higher voice, lol This puberphonia thing earned me a lot of abuse, lol
    • Charlize
      I have never heard of that.  Interesting for sure.  Perhaps wiki should add another possible cause?  I remember when my voice was going through change.  I hated that time.  I've only spoken to one voice "expert" and she notes that my voice fits well into the female spectrum for someone who spent years smoking.  That's me, unfortunately.   Hugs,   Charlize
    • TammyAnne
      The VA adheres to the most current WPATH standards. If you go to a VA healthcare facility you can either contact the LGBT facilitator directly, or go to Primary Care Mental Health and ask to be referred to a Gender Therapist. They are caring, professional and discreet. There are some limits to what can be covered, cosmetic procedures are not covered, but counseling, HRT and all associated care including medications, endocrinology, etc. are all covered. I am a VA client and was actually referred to this website by my VA gender therapist. TA
    • TammyAnne
      Hi and welcome Ivy. Glad you're here. TA
  • Upcoming Events