• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

I still having major doudts at my transition does that ever go away

Lexi C

I am on month four and I still don't see any results..I still  find that referring to myself as guy or man. When does all this hair go away, will I ever have my hair grow on my head. I can afford to electrolysis my whole body. I don't have the money for hair transplant or expensive wiggs. I refuse to sale myself again on craigslist and dating site. I hate myself when I did it, but it brought  me money to start this process, ….sorry just rambling, frustration    ..

• Forum Moderator

Alex, it does take time!  Don't fret.  Each of our bodies is different and in time things will happen. As to seeing yourself as a guy, this is part of the transition phase when we see both genders but default to the old too often it seems.  Have faith.  At six months you might speak with your doctor about the progress you are experiencing.  

Hang in there dear.

Jani

• Admin

The World Professional Association for Transgender Health's Standards of Care (version 7) has a table of when results of hormones administered by a licensed medical care giver begin given effects and reaching the individual's maximum effect from them.  The beginning times range from 3 to 6 MONTHS, and maximize between 3 to 6 YEARS, and that is as exact as they can get even with new data all the time.  I have been on HRT for 10 years and do have a sense of perspective on it.  I am what I am going to be by now, and am fine with it. Day by day, one pill at a time or week by week, one shot or patch at a time is the only way it works.  Trying to hurry it, will most likely hurry the date of your funeral and shorten the length of time you have to enjoy life. 

For hair, you are looking at 3 years for it to reach both female quantity and texture although you may experience some new growth even now, but it will be slow growing out and needs good care.  Hair has four stages to it growth cycle, one of which is dormancy when it is not growing, the follicle sleeping if you will.  When the follicle wakes up to Estrogen it will produce a female hair.  The E can awaken follicles that T had put into a virtual coma, but not ones actually killed.

thanks ladies for reach out...I don't if I have 3yrs in me..but day at a time..fingers cross thanks again

Hello Alex

I am like you with wanting it to hurry up, but then the rational side of my brain kicks in and tells me to just sit back and enjoy the ride.  I even have thoughts on self cutting / removing my birth defect that I just want it to have it gone and wanting it to rush through, but then I just end up sitting back.  Like how Vicky said, life is too short and I know that all too well with being a cancer survivor and having a second chance in life myself.

For example on myself, it took 6 months and 2x times body shaving to then see that my body hair has either gone away or disappeared.  My legs and arms I now have the light thin hair and my chest and back is like 100% gone.  As for my face, that it something I am working on with electrolysis.  I am also working on laser down by my birth defect to start that hair removal for GCS.

For the hair on top of your head, it will take years.  Myself, I am taking good care of my hair, but my hair grows extra slow since I have very thick curly hair and my hair has to grow in curls so it still looks short.

Hope that helps

This is a slow and difficult process. There are no shortcuts. And the older you are when you start, the longer it takes to see validating results I think. It is astronomically expensive. And it sucks a lot. And honestly I think it sucks at times now 11 months in more than it did at 3 months. Or 1 month. Or anytime before. Your mind changes well before your body and dysphoria for me kicks in hard some days. Whereas it used to be just a simple disgust for myself. Now I am happy and excited to feel like myself. But that mirror really likes to remind me that I’m still “a youngin” when it comes to my transition. And in comparison you’re an infant. Lol. So you have to find that calm. Find your peace. Find your beacon that keeps you moving forward. And talk out all the negatives as they come. One thing is for sure nobody will EVER say this is easy. Cause it isn’t. Maybe if you started at 10 yrs old, but even then it’s probably still difficult. 

Prepare yourself for a long road of crap. Cause that’s what’s coming. But the bonuses are this. First you’ll love yourself and be happy. And second it’s an unforgettable journey that is really worth its weight in gold. Even if it does suck along the way. 

Sorry, you're having a tough time, Alex. ?

Just remember that the "3 years" you mentioned isn't 3 years with nothing good happening. It's not life as usual and then all of a sudden everything happens at once. You have multiple steps you can take and with each one something in your life will feel a little more right. 

For what it's worth, my advice would be to figure out what's bothering you the most right now and come up with a plan to make it better. You'll still have things that bother you, but at least you'll feel like you're working on the most important thing. It's hard to be patient sometimes, but you can do this!

I’m new to HRT as well, and i try to keep perspective of it, I’m happy I’m doing it but it is introducing a powerful chemical into your body. I notice it magnify many things positive and negative and sometimes I seem to lose sight of the fact it will have those affects. From reading your post I say find the positive, what’s going good like not having to use dating sites etc for things you don’t like. I started meditating a lot more on the changes I want to see positive focus, if nothing else it helps me relax and accept what changes will happen in time...