• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Mybuttlost

Hiya!!! I'm trying to train my voice to be higher, but i don't have the money to go to a legit trainer or pay for apps.

does anyone have a recommendation for any youtube channels or anything like that?

-Miley

• Admin

The best "Training" is to observe and really listen to female (or male) dialogue when they are in groups.  It is not your voice pitch that will cause the most problems, it will be the words you use and to intonation you give them.  An example I gave in another thread yesterday is how the word HELLO is said by women versus men.  For a woman the HEL is said in a higher note tnan the LO, but it does not matter where it is on the music scale.  Men say both parts of the word in a single note.  Another example is in colors, men will say Purple for a color, but to women it will be violet, royal purple, or other shades of the color.  Something to do also is to go to your public library and check out some scripts of plays or movies with female parts in them and read the female  parts out loud to your IPOD.  Careful listening without getting in someone's space is the best really.

15 hours ago, VickySGV said:

The best "Training" is to observe and really listen to female (or male) dialogue when they are in groups.  It is not your voice pitch that will cause the most problems, it will be the words you use and to intonation you give them.  An example I gave in another thread yesterday is how the word HELLO is said by women versus men.  For a woman the HEL is said in a higher note tnan the LO, but it does not matter where it is on the music scale.  Men say both parts of the word in a single note.  Another example is in colors, men will say Purple for a color, but to women it will be violet, royal purple, or other shades of the color.  Something to do also is to go to your public library and check out some scripts of plays or movies with female parts in them and read the female  parts out loud to your IPOD.  Careful listening without getting in someone's space is the best really.

Hiya!!! thank you for the help!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I just want to try to help here based on my experience, I have fully transitioned socially --by far the most difficult part of this IMHO-- since some three years ago and to me, and possibly more than 50% of MTFs, the voice is about 50% if not more of the "successfuly passing issue" no matter if you are physically blessed (small boned and petite, a rarity, and plus you started HRT during puberty) or not, like myself and most I suppose.

Anyway, the time it takes one to "pull it off" varies a lot, for some may be months, for others like myself, years, and still doing exercises for the voice frequently, to not let it go to the past bad habits, and unfortunately for others who simply don't believe in themselves and don't do the work WITH A LOT OF PATIENCE, never.

So here's the three most important things you have to learn to alter in your voice if it sounds malish or even androgynous, in order not of importance or priority --to me the three of them are EQUALLY as important-- but in order of physically and emotionally/mentally which is the easiest to the most difficult, as well as the most basic to the most sophisticated step.

1) PITCH
Contrary to what many say, PITCH DOES MATTER. A LOT. For example, myself, my average conversation range, even though I am basically way more monotone than any woman and even many men, is about 220 HZ or an A3, which is actually a bit higher than that of the average Caucasian woman today, which would be 200-210 Hz according to recent studies. I am never confused as a man due to my voice, even though it is kind of monotone (little intonation), enough said. 

For an application to check pitch, (I use Android), there's a 100% free application named "Voice Pitch Analyzer" it is VERY useful to get great stats on your pitch. I think it surely is available for Apple devces as well, free too.

2) RESONANCE.
This one is, again IMHO, the most complicated but useful thing one has to learn. This basically defines whether you sound real (credible) or fake. This is what has taken me more effort and time to develop. Basically this deals with sending your resonance from the chest or throat area, to the face area, which means practicing and practicing so your throat and neck muscles get used to send your breath flow when you speak, to the facial area and you feel how when you speak, it resonates in the soft palate, cheeks, mouth and even the nose a bit. So, after you have gotten used to speaking in a decent average pitch let's say anything at the VERY least a G3 or around 196 hertz, because under that you'd risk sounding androgynous as opposed to clearly female, then FACE RESONANCE would be paramount.

3) Intonation or "inflection."
This one is the one I see many MTFs seem to agree to be the "essential" or "most important" of the three, and I definitely don't agree, to me the three are equally as important, and have to be combined at the same time to sound successfully female with no issues whatsoever. See, again IMHO if you focus ONLY on intonation/inflection, which simply means how varied your speech is in lows and highs, in emphasis, in not sounding monotone or "chopped up" between words, but you still send your resonance to your chest or throat, and speak lower than some 190-196 HZ as an average, you will sound like an effeminate man or like many gay men sound, where you notice their intonation is the same or even more exxagerated than that of a woman BUT their resonance is NOT in the right place, so you immediately hear the "chesty" or "throaty" male quality of their voices, even if they got the intonation and possibly the pitch right (although normally, their pitch is most of the time fairly lower than 196 hertz), but the exaggeration in their intonation changes makes it "feel" like they sound higher in pitch than they really do.

One thing that really, REALLY helps is SINGING female contralto songs (at first) and then any pop or rock song that is basically not too high-pitched. My favorite for this is Stevie Nicks, who is a natural contralto. But you have to learn to raise your pitch naturally, without doing falsetto first, so I suggest female singer warm-ups like lip rolls (AKA lip bubbles) lip trills, humming. There are many male rock singers who sing high-pitched like contraltos and in my personal opinion male rock bands are way, way more fun to sing than female songs. So for example Blink 182, The Cure and other bands, their male singers sing a bit close to female contraltos, and many of their songs are REALLY FUN to sing!

And sorry but I need to emphasize this, again IMH and very biased opinion: ALWAYS LOOK FOR FEMALE videos, for singing warm ups, for pitch, resonance, intonation, as opposed to transgender female videos, because if you go for the toughest since the beginning, as opposed to the easier road, you will get used to work harder and most of all, to sounding more natural and credible even if it is way tougher.

So bottom line if you use You Tube, I'd look for this:

1) How to raise your speaking voice pitch NATURALLY. And I emphasize "speaking voice" because unfortunately I'm sure most of the search results will be SINGING lessons to raise the pitch, so you will have some effort actually locating videos that address speaking, not singing for raising one's pitch.

2) After you can somewhat easily get used to speaking an average no less than 196 Hz even if sounding monotone, and NOT IN FALSETTO, which may take several months or even more, PATIENCE IS THE KEY, then you can go to look for:

"How to send the speaking voice resonance to the face" and again, you will find a truckload of singing videos, but even those are useful, specially if they teach you in a simple way, how to send the air flow to the soft palate area as opposed to chest or throat.

3) Once you've decently mastered the previous two, you can then tackle the intonation thing. The easiest way IMHO is to do a search on "how to speak like a valley girl" or "female uptalk examples." Basically the valley girl speech pattern is an exaggerated version of uptalk, but be careful to avoid stupid filler words such as "like" "you know" "I mean" "y'all" "like I said" and so many other embarrassing fillers, most specially the annoying filler "like" because you have to focus on intonation, not in learning idiotic useless words. If you need to use fillers --and we all do-- I recommend then using "um" or "ah" but NEVER "like" "you know" "I mean." Even great orators, politicians, TV or Youtube  commentators use "um" a lot, just the ones with poor speech patterns use actual words as fillers, so try and avoid that for your own sake!

I know his was very lengthy, but I am pouring lots of REAL experience into this, like I said I believe for most of us MTFs the voice is 50% or more of the seamlessly-passing thing. If you are not naturally high-pitched, and with natural resonance in your face like any average woman is, then you will have to work A LOT to master it but if you do it every day if possible at least some 30 minutes, little by little you will be progressing.

I really don't believe in what I consider the most stupid statement ever about feminizing a voice "how to FIND your female voice." Because it is not something you suddenly "find," it is rather something you have to DEVELOP step by step, methodically, smartly, until your throat and neck muscles and your air flow get used to the new pitch and resonance.

BTW personally I learned to develop my voice, for years, locked in my car with all windows rolled up, so very little sound came out when I practiced, specially when yelling or singing in high pitches which is very important not to skip. AND GET USED TO RECORD YOURSELF!!! All the time! If you want to hear how your voice sounds to others, try putting ear plugs in your ears, this way you will hear something closer to what other hears from you, and also closer to how you sound when you record your voice.

I hope this helps and I wish you good luck!!!

On 4/26/2019 at 6:06 PM, greeneyedpam said:

I hope this helps and I wish you good luck!!!

thanks!!!