• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My name isn’t Megan

Hi, I have no idea what I’m doing 🤣

My name isn’t Megan

So I’ve finally started experimenting with feminine clothing. Skirts are awesome; they’re like shorts, but not. Basically, I’m a total novice to the world of female fashion, and I need help feeling my way around. For reference, my male clothing sizes are XL for shirts, and 38-36 pants size. All of the different sizes that differ from store to store are so confusing 😅😅 I think I’ve got an idea of my style... something involving lots of flannel and denim 🤔 oh, and over-knee socks. I live for really long socks 😄 if you fine folks can guide me to stores that might lean into that kind of clothing, that would be awesome. Does Victoria’s Secret/Pink have any fun panties for somebody looking for coverage and comfort (and something cute?)???

As you can tell, I have many questions xD

any advice is appreciated! ❤️❤️❤️

Zoey

Oooh I really enjoyed my first explorations, I hope you do too!  My only advice would be to not let people box you in too much with advice :P  Dress how you want and enjoy the process, your style will evolve over time.

My name isn’t Megan

Thanks, Zoey! I guess the thing that bothers me most is how confusing sizes are 🤔 I’ve got an idea of how I’d like to style, but nothing fiiiiiiiits 😅

Ellora
47 minutes ago, My name isn’t Megan said:

So I’ve finally started experimenting with feminine clothing. Skirts are awesome; they’re like shorts, but not. Basically, I’m a total novice to the world of female fashion, and I need help feeling my way around. For reference, my male clothing sizes are XL for shirts, and 38-36 pants size. All of the different sizes that differ from store to store are so confusing 😅😅 I think I’ve got an idea of my style... something involving lots of flannel and denim 🤔 oh, and over-knee socks. I live for really long socks 😄 if you fine folks can guide me to stores that might lean into that kind of clothing, that would be awesome. Does Victoria’s Secret/Pink have any fun panties for somebody looking for coverage and comfort (and something cute?)???

As you can tell, I have many questions xD

any advice is appreciated! ❤️❤️❤️

Hi! Skirts rock!! I wear a skirt every chance I get, I'm wearing one right now. My favorite right now, are Sari Style wrap skirts. That way I don't have to worry so much about size, and i don't always like the elastic waist bands. I buy mine on Amazon, and shipped to an Amazon Locker. I have been buying my Camisole's at Costco, size XL, but I could go down to a Large and possibly to a medium. The camisole's material is forgiving, plus i've lost some weight since i started to wear these. 

Sizing, usually you go a size up for women's clothing, so if you are a men's XL then you might be a women's 2xl. But that also depends on the material and what you are actually wearing. If you can afford to take a chance on buying and it not fitting, take the chance. Clothes not fitting happens to us all, you will have a better idea of what fits or doesn't. Its a lot of fun to be able to buy them once you do it. Even then, the different clothing companies sizes can differ. I didn't want to wait until i was able to go to a store and try them on. I have 9 of the 10 drawers i have are full of women's clothing =P

You can also measure your Chest/waist/hips. Look for a conversion table, we probably have one somewhere in this site, if not Google it. Once you try it a couple of times, you will be so happy you have done it. Whether at the store or online, you will be floating. I have knee high, thigh high too, love em. I buy my socks on Amazon too. I also have leg warmers. 

Carolyn Marie

Hi, Megan.  Sizes can be difficult.  Aside from the complexity of male - female size differences, there is the added problem of differences between manufacturers for the same types of clothing.  However, we do have some great size charts on this site; you can find them Here.

I get a lot of my clothes at Kohl;s, as well as online stores such as Chadwick's.  Although I am not personally familiar with them, there are many stores for plus size women; much more so than for petite women, of which I am one.  Best of luck!

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

Kamarka
38 minutes ago, My name isn’t Megan said:

Thanks, Zoey! I guess the thing that bothers me most is how confusing sizes are 🤔 I’ve got an idea of how I’d like to style, but nothing fiiiiiiiits 😅

Couldn't be truer. I've been an XS in some brands and an XXXL in others. 

Don't let the names of the sizes throw you off or get you down; wear the size that feels right to you and try lots of nice clothes on!

Also with over the knee socks, I've been trying to find some super long ones for years now because I'm tall and heavy. They don't ever really make it past my knee and end up cutting off my circulation 😂

My name isn’t Megan

Thanks for all the support, everyone! ❤️❤️❤️

tracy_j

I won't go into actual sizes as they differ here in the UK but you will find they do differ from shop to shop. I think to some extent it is due to the clientele they cater for as well as where things are actually made as sizes and body frames differ internationally. Apart from these differences I find I vary between three different sizes in clothing depandant on whether a skirt, dress, coat etc. A lot of women do, but a more masculine frame is not helpful. I think that is why they try things on far more than men who would make do with a belt for trousers or a looser shirt, just making do.

Tracy

Kirsten

Welcome to the forums Megan. I will give you one small piece of advice when it comes to clothing. GO SHOPPING!! And try things on!! It is probably a nerve racking idea to go to a store, pick out what you like, and try it all on, but if there’s one thing I have learned since coming out is that nobody cares. At least at stores. Nobody cares if you’re wearing slacks or a dress. They don’t care if you’re shopping for wrenches or eyeliner. People are too wrapped up in themselves to care what anyone else is doing for the most part. 

Theres great advice here. But really the best thing you can do is try things on. If you have a girl friend that you are out to, have them come and help. That’s how you’re gonna find out what you like and what works with your body. And it’s fun!! Fun AF actually. Just have to get past those fears. 

Good luck Megan. 

Krisvm
58 minutes ago, Kirsten said:

Welcome to the forums Megan. I will give you one small piece of advice when it comes to clothing. GO SHOPPING!! And try things on!! It is probably a nerve racking idea to go to a store, pick out what you like, and try it all on, but if there’s one thing I have learned since coming out is that nobody cares. At least at stores. Nobody cares if you’re wearing slacks or a dress. They don’t care if you’re shopping for wrenches or eyeliner. People are too wrapped up in themselves to care what anyone else is doing for the most part. 

Theres great advice here. But really the best thing you can do is try things on. If you have a girl friend that you are out to, have them come and help. That’s how you’re gonna find out what you like and what works with your body. And it’s fun!! Fun AF actually. Just have to get past those fears. 

Good luck Megan. 

I would concur with this definitely. I was very nervous the first time and now it is so much fun and the shop assistants are so helpful. There a few things better for my gender euphoria than asking them which colour will look better or them saying what a lovely fit something is on me 😄

Astrid
2 hours ago, Kirsten said:

I will give you one small piece of advice when it comes to clothing. GO SHOPPING!!

16 minutes ago, Krisvm said:

I would concur with this definitely

And I wholeheartedly agree with Kirsten and Kris! 🙂

After my first femme shopping expedition (for jeggings and shirt) went smoothly with not even a side-wise glance from anyone, there was no holding me back anymore.  That first time, I well remember carefully placing things to try on in a store bag, then quietly slipping into one of the lesser-trafficked fitting rooms (no attendants staffed the fitting rooms in this store, which for my first exploration was helpful in keeping me less nervous).  Checkout was just that -- pay, and go -- no hassles of any kind.  I was like, YES!

Fast forward a bit more than a year later, and I'm comfortably browsing the clearance racks looking for bargains, surrounded by women young and old. We're all having fun!  I know my sizing, but I know that there's no substitute for trying it on (or returning it for another size if using mail order).

And you needn't spend a fortune shopping at an upscale store.  You can find great initial outfits from used clothing stores, and from price-conscious stores like Kohl's (as mentioned by Carolyn Marie above 🙂) and Primark.  Or mail-order (with pick-up at the store, if you prefer).  

You can do it!

Astrid

My name isn’t Megan

Thanks for your support, everyone 😊❤️ 

KymmieL

I would say go for it. I started with going with sizes that matched my male sizes some what. For a general rule what I found is take your male size like mine was 38 subtract 20 = 18 where I started my female size at. Like the others have said. it varies from brand to brand, even item to item. Don't get me started on the Asian sizes. 

Kymmie