• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Home IPL unit effectiveness?

Naomi Knowles

Happily in the middle of facial electrolysis, and currently indulging in full body waxing. The full body wax sets me back £150 a visit because I habitually opt for "everything below the neck" removed, and with this being a bi-monthly cost, it's a real boxing match where my personal finances are concerned, looking to save money, but adamant about not shaving.

Shaved my bikini line for several years, and it's first waxing was... Distressing. A pain that has reduced considerably since I begun leaving it alone and letting my wax tech handle it.

Which leaves me with 3 options:

a) epilators (great value long term, heard nothing but good things about the Braun Epil 7 series. Hurts more than wax apparently)

b) Fork out for laser for things below the neckline (extremely expensive in the long run, but professional results should be trustworthy and effective)*

c) do IPL at home (very expensive initial cost to get the unit, big question mark about ease of use/maintenance)

Can anyone vouch for ease of use and the effectiveness of home-based IPL hair removal solutions?

I've built a fairly robust pain tolerance to hair removal, but I have reservations putting an epilator anywhere near my bikini line or other intimates, if they hurt more than wax. So I'd still have wax salon visits, but I would pay £100 less per visit than I do now.

*My nearest laser/IPL salon quotes 6-9 sessions to get a clear area, but sessions are charged individually, and the chest area weighs in at £145, naval charged separately at £45 and £240 for full legs

• Admin

More expensive than the home IPL is going to be the training to use it safely.  "Home" devices here in the U.S. do not have enough power to be effective since ours are regulated by federal law.  Professional, licensed machines require trained and licensed operators and without that training and control can badly injure you.

Just now, VickySGV said:

More expensive than the home IPL is going to be the training to use it safely.  "Home" devices here in the U.S. do not have enough power to be effective since ours are regulated by federal law.  Professional, licensed machines require trained and licensed operators and without that training and control can badly injure you.

There is that concern as well, now that you mention it!

I hadn't thought about the fact I have a small collection of dark freckles loosely dotted across my body (possibly thanks to a previous run with full-body light therapy for a bad case of back psoriasis); might make IPL terrible on those spots. I'm not covered, but they're enough that a few areas might be a little patchy (and it's all or nothing for hair removal).

The more upmarket units apparently boast sensors that let the unit gauge which strength to use on an area, the nature of freckles would probably give it some hassle?

Looking around and the Braun Epil 9 is on sale at some reputable sellers (Amazon and Boots) for a similar price as the Epil 7. So what if some hairs break, I'll sit for hours tweezing my wee little legs if it will save me money for surgery?

I have a Braun Epi 9, and love it. I use it all the time, from the neck down. The bikini line is tricky and can painful, especially if the hair is thick.

Always shower, or bath, and exfoliate. Exfoliating will prepare the hairs and skin. I epilate dry. The Epi 9 can be done “wet or dry,” but I found the water wears down the motor, and will eventually kill the epilator. But if the pain is too much, use it in water, and I would use soap or body wash to help. 

Make sure you “pull” the skin back, it helps a lot, especially in sensitive areas. When done properly you will get used to the “pain” and not think about it once you get used to it. If my hair is longer that a quarter of an inch, I try and shave it down with an attachment, then start in thin rows, Do Not try to just mow throw, the epilator will grab at all the hairs at once. Some areas you can go in a circle, some rows, you will get your own system down. And once you start, you body will adapt, and it won’t hurt as much, if not at all. If you have had a tattoo done, it won’t be bad at all once you try it. 

The hair growth has slowed and in some areas barely at all, especially on the legs, and chest. I do not recommend on the neck or face. Some people might be able to, I choose not to. 

With the exception of the hair being removed, there is no “mess.” I can take it anywhere, and it’s rechargeable. I take it when I travel. It charges in about an hour, and last for 45m-1 hr., especially when you first buy it, it last for a long, long time. After time it decreases a little, especially if you keep it out of the water. 

If if you want to save, buy an epilator. You can always wax as a treat if you need to, then save your coupons for electrolysis or Lasers (every time I say laser, I have to use a Dr Evil voice) ? ?

21 hours ago, Ellora said:

You can always wax as a treat if you need to, then save your coupons for electrolysis or Lasers (every time I say laser, I have to use a Dr Evil voice) ? ?

LOL!

Years ago, I did try the Tria 3.  It hurt like hell, and didn't seem to do anything for my hair.   

Epilator works great though!

On 6/5/2019 at 7:00 PM, Ellora said:

I have a Braun Epi 9, and love it. I use it all the time, from the neck down. The bikini line is tricky and can painful, especially if the hair is thick.

Yeah after some more thinking and the points raised here I'm feeling an epilator is the safest and most cost effective method to saving money right now?

My local Boots store is having an "up to half price" sale, and epilators happen to be there, winner!

Though in my research, apparently the biggest difference between the Epil 7 and 9 is the head on the 9 is wider, but has the same number of tweezers.

Would that mean the 9 would take more passes over an area compared to the 7?

8 hours ago, Naomi Knowles said:

Yeah after some more thinking and the points raised here I'm feeling an epilator is the safest and most cost effective method to saving money right now?

My local Boots store is having an "up to half price" sale, and epilators happen to be there, winner!

Though in my research, apparently the biggest difference between the Epil 7 and 9 is the head on the 9 is wider, but has the same number of tweezers.

Would that mean the 9 would take more passes over an area compared to the 7?

Good question, I like that it has a wider head. 

Remember to exfoliate! And use Aloe Vera after you epilate. Then lotion to keep your legs moisturized. 

On 6/7/2019 at 8:03 AM, Ellora said:

Good question, I like that it has a wider head. 

Remember to exfoliate! And use Aloe Vera after you epilate. Then lotion to keep your legs moisturized. 

Having been waxed several times professionally, I figured I would have an edge over the pain of a 1st time epilation.

Gosh that was an innocent time in my life?

But I also have to agree: the Epil 9 is a decent bit of kit

13 hours ago, Naomi Knowles said:

Having been waxed several times professionally, I figured I would have an edge over the pain of a 1st time epilation.

Although, finding my tummy and glutes have a lot of downy hairs that the device pulls on enough for it to hurt, but the hairs are too fine and slip before they get yanked out about 50% of the time. Frustrating.

13 hours ago, Naomi Knowles said:

It's easier than people think. The body adapts to the pain, and as long as we are mindful of the areas that we epilate, it is quite easy and becomes almost addictive, lol. Start our small, and keep the hairs short, long hairs equal ouchies. =)!

Just now, Naomi Knowles said:

Although, finding my tummy and glutes have a lot of downy hairs that the device pulls on enough for it to hurt, but the hairs are too fine and slip before they get yanked out about 50% of the time. Frustrating.

Oh yes, I think i know what you mean, and I rtye to find a good small starting spot, and slowly work the area. After you are able to get through the area at least once, then try going in circles, that can help. 

I’m finally ordering one of those Braun epilators and I should have it in about a week. I’m going to switch from shaving to epilating until it becomes more affordable to do laser. Even with a home unit it is not a very practical idea to use it right now because using it demands more time than I can spare. It’s also not practical right now because it requires a rest period for the skin to cool off before jumping into the shower. Since I don’t usually have 3 days to really let my skin recover I have to shelve the laser for now and do epilating as the next step in hair removal. Once I get to a realistic point where I can justify using the laser I will give a little bit of a review on how effective it can be. On the other hand I have now spent the equivalent of a sugaring wax session just down the street and still might make an appointment there in the future. The scariest part is going to be facial hair. It’s going to be just as bad as armpit hairs only worse. I’m expecting to be a crybaby with runny nose and everything.