• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Man Charged In Detroit Killings of Gay Men, Trans Woman

Carolyn Marie

• Admin

I have to give a talk tomorrow about how gun violence affects the Trans Community this  provided one more piece of data.  It says she was shot to death, how much more violent could that be?? 

Violent yes. It’s ironic how many people in the community are people of color but their is still a terrible stigma within the neighborhoods they live in. You would think that they would understand discrimination and be more accepting. That would be nice but unfortunately it isn’t reality or it’s not a complete representation of all the factors in place. This age is one of uncertainty when people turn on each other out of fear. Finding it easier to place blame on others for their plight or problems. Fear has often caused many to regress to the safety of exclusion and bigotry, even amongst minorities. Often an old religious excuse, or a new one is the catalyst. Sometimes it’s just the fear of imagined influence, or the fear that someone else’s lifestyle will become an infectious plague. The fearful react to it like people once treated lepers. Sometimes worse. The fact that this crime was committed with a firearm, and how many were shot indicates it was a hate crime definitely. This individual sought to do as much damage as quickly as possible to a specific group of people represented in their own home. It was quick and final, the killer sought to erase his victims from existence. I suppose even if he goes to jail for life he will feel he accomplished his goal. With only the basic facts in the article there’s not much to go on besides the end result. We don’t know if he was goaded to this outcome or if he sought to prove his manhood. Yes, it’s horrible that a firearm was used, but there’s many ways it could have been worse. It’s not just the use of a firearm that makes it horrible, but the complete lack of respect for the boundaries between individuals. It’s a mindset that says “if you do something I don’t like with your own life then I have the right to take your life” that disturbs me the most, regardless of what weapons are involved or who the victim is. It’s this idea that one person has the right to impose their will on someone else even if it means killing them that is the problem. Reactions like this are not acceptable. Words are just words, living ones own life is not a crime, irreversible actions are the things we have to live with.