• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

mdj

Hi all,

Although I've become much more comfortable in my non-binary identity over the past several months, there's one part which is still a struggle -- keeping in shape. The main reason is that I haven't found a gym or fitness center with gender neutral (or family, or individual) changing areas or locker rooms. (Not to mention the ordinary masculinity and competition felt in most workout areas.) I'm not big on running so that's a possibility but not a solution. And I can't afford to install a gym in my garage.

What do y'all do? How do you find safe spaces to stay in shape while not sacrificing your identity or sanity?

--M

Krisvm

It is an issue, I hate that in gyms. I tend to go to a park and do my own workout there. However I am only really into doing cardio and stretching, not building up muscle. I also go to mixed workout classes outside of gyms where I turn up in my outfit rather than change there.

Astrid

Hi, mdj!    I can really identify with this issue!  

I've not had success finding a gym with gender neutral/individual changing areas, either.  But I have been a member about 18 months now at a gym with locations around major cities in the USA, and have adopted various strategies.  

1) They provide "neutral" lockers in an open area for people to simply stow their valuables without using either changing room.  Of course, this means you'll shower afterward at home.

2) I've stuck it out using the men's locker room, although it's psychologically taxing at times.  To help cope, my usual routine is to already be in my exercise clothes (which are entirely feminine) when I arrive.  I'll try to use the gym during more lightly attended hours.  After exercise, I usually have two brief moments of "suspense":   I proudly keep my toes painted in bright colors, so I generally wait until there's no one else nearby, then quickly change into/out of my closed-toe shower shoes before/after my shower.  

Over time, I've gotten a bit less paranoid about things.  I no longer stress over being non-hairy, or brushing my hair and using a hair band for my ponytail.  I love my leather purse that can double as a backpack.  But I am careful to wear boyshort underwear in plain colors (black, grey, etc) when visiting the gym.  

So, to summarize:  It's important enough to me that I'll put up with this routine three times a week, year 'round.  And, over time, my level of comfort with what I can wear has definitely risen, at the same time that my level of comfort being around hairy, over-muscled guys has decreased.  But nobody's ever hassled me.  (On the other hand, I would gladly pay more for a gym that had gender neutral or individual changing facilities.)

Astrid

DrumbeatAlex

Hi M,

staying fit can be difficult, especially if you don't feel comfortable using gendered change rooms or playing gendered sport. :/

I've started doing some indoor rock-climbing/bouldering. It's a really good full body workout and their are a mix of genders. The place I go to also has lockers in the general climbing area (not in gendered change rooms). So if you're interested in that you could check out how your local climbing gym is run. I think the attitude in climbing places is more about personal improvment than about being super macho, so that's good too. Can cost a bit though. :/

Some areas also have free gym equipment setups just in parks. Some places also run free exercise sessions in the park (which would avoid locker rooms and probably intense gym junkies too). Idk if they do that in America, but that could be an option. You could also just do bodyweight exercises at home or workout at a local playground (eg. pushups, pullups, single-leg squats and a hamstring exercise of some sort would pretty much cover all muscle groups).

There are also non-gendered sports/exercise you could try such as casual tennis, ice skating, surfing (if you're near a beach), golf, hiking, orienteering etc. I think it'd be easy enough to avoid locker rooms with these.

What sort of exercise are you hoping to do? (aerobic, resistance, team, individual?) and what have you enjoyed in the past? :) 

Hope some of this helps, let me know what you think!

-Alex

reyindium
On 6/21/2019 at 7:31 AM, DrumbeatAlex said:

You could also just do bodyweight exercises at home or workout at a local playground (eg. pushups, pullups, single-leg squats and a hamstring exercise of some sort would pretty much cover all muscle groups).

I second this. You could do these where you are most comfortable, even at home. I was once a young competitive gymnast and that type of conditioning is all we would do; no fancy equipment used/needed. And we were all pure muscle. We rotated upper, lower, and core strength days...and sometimes did a little blend of everything. I had a six pack without flexing! Thinking back on it now, it's mind boggling. Point being, bodyweight exercises can do the job. Just takes discipline and daily conditioning. 

p.s. we did run for 15-30 minutes every day wearing 5 lb weights (gotta love cardio)

RobynNYC

In the Us there is this great chain called orange theory.  The classes are amazing and the facilities are all gender neutral. Single occupant bathrooms and single occupant showers. Super intense workouts that some men do but lots of women. You will have to run in the workouts but it’s all super short intervals.  and omg I’m in such great shape now!  

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Who's Online   8 Members, 0 Anonymous, 119 Guests (See full list)

• carolcrissy
    • reyindium
    • DeeDee
    • MaryMary
    • Ellora
    • Jani
    • LeavesThatAreGreen
    • VickySGV
  • Topics With Zero Replies

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

VeetotheX
    Newest Member
    VeetotheX

1. DaHudie Biz
      DaHudie Biz
    • Ellora
      The Answer depends on the individual. For some people. their bodies might respond quickly, others not for years. I am 53 and have been on HRT for a little over 4 months and counting. I had an Orchiectomy a little over a month ago, and I am T free. I feel that My hips are starting to show, but not to anyone else. I can see slow breast growth happening , but only one comment about "have i been working out?" But thats Me, you and everyone else will probably have a different response. Speak with a Gender Therapist and your Doctor (that is fluent with the LGBTQ community), so they can help you with your journey. Continue researching until You are comfortable with your decisions. If you decide to start HRT, and do not like the way you look and or feel, then talk to your doctor, or stop all together.  Since you have a "year or two," you have plenty of time to do your research and talk to the GD therapist and your Doctor.  Best of luck in  your Journey!
    • Nebulous
      Facial hair is no longer my “beard”- pun intended as I’ve had laser hair removal. I guess my main question from here is the question of when the curves:fat redistribution and breasts became harder to hide. I do eventually want to live full time. I just won’t be ready to make that leap for another year or two though.
    • Dain
      Thank you all so much for the warm welcome!   I'm really looking forward to dive in! Just need to sort out my thoughts into words first. I find myself wanting to write something only to end up in a haze of abstract thoughts unsure of how to translate it into language.  I struggle a lot to articulate myself, so it's nice to be in a safe space like this to try and express myself and get input from other transgender peers.   Thank you! ❤️
    • Charlize
      It is most likely possible to be on HRT for a long time without being noticed.  Remember we have many FTM members here who pass by binding etc.   Remember baldness and a bit of beard screams male.  I would think a greater issue might be whether, after starting HRT, the desire to live as yourself wouldn't grow.   I know that when i was on HRT i had no desire to be seen as male but i suppose it is possible to be in the middle ground.  Don't forget that HRT also can affect sexual abilities, fertility and preferences for some.     Hugs,   Charlize
    • Timber Wolf
      Good morning everyone,🦄   Happy Birthday DaHudie Biz!🎂 Hope you have a great day!   Lots of love, Timber Wolf 🐾
    • Timber Wolf
      Hi Carol, Welcome to Transpulse. I'm glad you're here!   Lots of love, Timber Wolf 🐾
    • tracy_j
      Hi Carol,   Welcome!   Tracy
    • tracy_j
      Hi Dain,   Welcome!   Tracy
    • Alex C
      well I been on HRT and like Vicki I am stuck or set on B cup..I am small size o ( not bragging) and when I am not comfortable presenting as F..I wear Large shirts ..Vicki is also on the money with hair growth. I am bald , some hair is growing back but I relegated to wearing a wig until I die..good luck, be safe and stay proud  
    • Bananarama
      NS,   You could try looking at the following:   https://www.behindthename.com/top/lists/united-states/1980   Enter your birth year in the drop-down field, and then look through the top 1000 names that were most frequently used at the time (you can also sort the list alphabetically). If you have siblings, you could also use that as clues to what your parents might have used.   For example, my birth year was 1960, and my sister's name is Melissa. Taking that and clues of other family members led me to select 'Melanie' as a logical given name (ranked #125 on the list from the above site, and 'M-E-L' the clue from my sister). I then selected my mother's middle name 'Jean' for mine, thus I became Melanie Jean, which IMHO has a nice ring about it (it also happened to leave my initials intact, as my friends usually call me 'MJ').   Best wishes on whichever you decide. 🙂
    • Jani
      Hello Dain.   Welcome.  I read Devon's post and it was interesting.  I think you will find an accepting community here.  Please join in.   Jani
    • Jani
      I have been married for 44 years so I can attest to thinking at times that you're on the same wavelength when in fact you're are not.  Life and people are strange in that regard.   I think it may be time to have some serious dialogue about how he (and you) felt things have been going.     Also, in my opinion women are more prone to accept this change in a partner than men are.  Women can be close friends with each other without seeming sexual, while men never want to get too close so to not project the image of homosexuality.      
    • VickySGV
      By themselves you have a window of 3 to 6 months for the onset of action to 3 to 6 years to completion of the change per the WPATH Standards of Care.  It will also depend on the type of dressing you do at work.  Shirts and neck ties will be a problem a bit sooner, but T shirts and sweat shirts a lot longer.  A bigger issue is going to be our own nervousness and maybe a tad touchy PMS type day that will give you away.  Yes we do get mood swings pretty early in the game.  If you get in a hurry for longer hair , there goes another issue too.  Its not as bad as it was, but where I worked it could be anything from OK to physically dangerous is it was not kept right.  When I retired I had been on HRT for two years and it had not been a problem.  I have what I call family "B" cups since that is what my mother and sisters had, and loose shirts got along fine in two sizes larger than male me wore.  
    • Nebulous
      I know this is one of those mileage  varies questions- However, I cant help but ask- How long on HRT( assume( Sprio and Estrogen) before dressing in the old male attire and presenting male becomes a challenge? How long was it in your experience? I’m trying to get a good sense of when coworkers or other acquaintances might start noticing something being up.   Thanks in advance for the insight,   Dina
    • Nebulous
      I’m really loving New Hampshire 😊
  • Upcoming Events