• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Immortality. Is it an option?

Maid In Bedlam

Would I like to be immortal?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Would I like to be immortal?

• Yes. Bring it and give me that gift now
    • No. Immortality should stay in the realms of Gods and Vampires

I did a poll. A first for me. I hope it works or im going to look stupid ?

I tried to do something not trans related but more of a moral dilemma.

just as the Title says. If you could be immortal. Would you?

Never having to worry about the Grim reaper coming to take you away.

There is some up sides and quite horrid downsides to it

Im not going to answer  how i feel right away. Firstly because im not sure and secondly i do not want to influence the way you feel However I will list some pros and cons.

Pros

Obviously Never dieing,

No more suffering

Knowing that one of your absolutes is no longer in play.

Seeing the world. In say 200 years time and beyond. being able to see what has been achieved. (Not sure if thats a pro or a con)

Cons.

Loving but knowing your going to lose that love with time.

watching everything you know eventually leaving you and turning to dust.

Having to revent yourself every 50 or so years so no one would know your actiually not anything more than a normal human. 

So is the gift of imortality A gift from the Gods or a curse from an Evil Fairie? (yes fairys are evil. Unless you subscribe to the frilly nice Disney interpretation)

Please vote in the poll and share your feelings.  I am very interested in what you have to say on this.

Being “Immortal” doesn’t mean you won’t suffer. They could suffer for eternity. I wouldn’t mind being immortal, but I wouldn’t want to suffer for eternity. 

Immortality has too many caveats - what if the aging process does not stop? - I don't want to be blind and deaf and bed ridden or in pain for eternity. Vampires at least get to press pause on the aging process and most of them get superpowers like rapid healing, watching everyone you have ever known and loved die and never knowing if you will ever see them again if there is an afterlife - or watching as the world dies out through ecological and climate suicide or chemical and biological warfare or simply a cataclysmic disaster like an ice age or meteor strike leaving you as the lone survivor on an uninhabitable world covered in water or lava or ice. Assuming you haven't been hunted down and locked up in a lab for scientific study now that we live in an age of digital stalking and cctv monitoring everything we do and say.  Sure, for the first few hundred maybe even few thousand years you could work at getting rich, learning languages, trying new cuisine and emerging yourself in all the cultures and how to do or play any hobby that takes your fancy, you could strive to prevent any of the above mentioned disasters from ever happening or set yourself up as a guru or superhero but humans are sociable animals and we need meaningful relationships - could that happen when you start thinking of everyone around you as a pet that will eventually just die and need to be replaced? eternity on your own would just be hell. ⏳⌛ Not that I've put any thought into this lol...?

i agree with MaryMary. Life is a precious, fleeting moment, something we can savour. And though it's finite, it means everything to us. 

Though DeeDee almost sold me on the immortality thing, it would be pretty heavy metal to watch the world die, lol! 

4 hours ago, Ellora said:

Being “Immortal” doesn’t mean you won’t suffer. They could suffer for eternity. I wouldn’t mind being immortal, but I wouldn’t want to suffer for eternity. 

Exactly. Look at Wolverine. He was basically immortal, and all he did was fight wars and watch everyone he love die. In the movie Logan, he even carried around an adamantium bullet so he COULD kill himself when and if he wanted to. 

Honestly, life is hard enough without having to worry about living forever. 

This make me think about the movie Highlander and the song "Who wants to live forever" by Queen. I have lived through enough pain and suffering to last many lifetimes.

Some theorize that immortality is almost here.   Who is familiar with Singularity?

According to Ray Kurzweil, in the next decade or two a computer will be built that is more intelligent that humans, which will trigger cycles of ever more intelligent machines, to the point where humans will be able to upload their conciousness into computers leaving their body and their bodies limitations behind.  

7 hours ago, lauraincolumbia said:

Some theorize that immortality is almost here.   Who is familiar with Singularity?

According to Ray Kurzweil, in the next decade or two a computer will be built that is more intelligent that humans, which will trigger cycles of ever more intelligent machines, to the point where humans will be able to upload their conciousness into computers leaving their body and their bodies limitations behind.  

Have you ever read any of Tad Williams’ “Otherland” series?

Interesting reading. 

Well, not that I have a huge overdraft, or a huge Mortgage, but Immortality, would definently give me some help...lol  

Living forever, so long as perminently in good health, maybe even strong body....impervious to whatever life could throw at it... yep, you could count me in .... what a thought....     If I had none of that, the immortality, would be pointless, as it would be suffering into oblivion, not for me...   That's my view anyway..

Regards

Melissa

"What If"

One day whilst i was gazing into nothingness... er the ceiling whilst i had just awoke in the early hours, a thought had occured to me.... what if...    Now this.. be warned is going hopefully to be quite profound.. yep even for me..

Ok,  Our existance in this world, is not our only one self, even though from our perception it seems to be.  We all are much much much more than that.   on more than one level, yep parallell realities.    Ref Google for the Bubble Universe for this ok..  told you this was going to be deep.   Now, as I said here we are as an individual in this world, well in this world and this reality we are the only one and totally unique too.  However in the bigger picture of things and in the countless infinate other realities that, seem the same, though with infinate small suptle differences in them...   when in our life we drove down the road and turned left, when simultaneously in this reality we turned right, or in facted went straight on or turned around completely.   amongst infinate worlds with a you in each and every one.... now.... once thats got in your head... i hope you can sorta see wwher all this is going.   If you cannot... maybe i'll put my proverbial cards on the table...  Immortality.. is a gift we already possess, just not quite in the sense you may have thought.   Now, this is slowly ebbing forward now to a conclusion.   Now I have suffered loss, Lost my Dad, so on that note... It's helped console myself that maybe though i lost him in this life, maybe he aint gone, but he's still living on with his life in another reality as if his passing never happened at all.   Well true or not, it's helped me handle his loss..  maybe seeing the light and tunnel is the link from our reality and onto and into our continuation reality.. who knows.. said this was quite a profound and deep thought... I sincerely hope i havent, touched on anyones sensitivities, as this is sort of about a very sensitive issue...ok...

Warm regards

Melissa

On 6/24/2019 at 2:33 PM, Laura Beth said:

I have lived through enough pain and suffering to last many lifetimes.

Just thinking out loud here. But if you knew you could live forever. Would you consider these more to be just a little hiccup when the picture has been enlarged infinitely. Also would your lifestyle completly change once you had been given immortality?

What im trying to say i guess is. You would always have the last laugh as you will still be here as they all turn to dust.

As the saying goes "those who laugh last laugh longest.

7 hours ago, MelissaAndProudOfIt said:

Immortality.. is a gift we already possess, just not quite in the sense you may have thought.   Now, this is slowly ebbing forward now to a conclusion.   Now I have suffered loss, Lost my Dad, so on that note... It's helped console myself that maybe though i lost him in this life, maybe he aint gone, but he's still living on with his life in another reality as if his passing never happened at all.   Well true or not, it's helped me handle his loss..  maybe seeing the light and tunnel is the link from our reality and onto and into our continuation reality.. who knows.. said this was quite a profound and deep thought... I sincerely hope i havent, touched on anyones sensitivities, as this is sort of about a very sensitive issue...ok...

I have lost both my parents. Way Back. I miss them everyday. I so understand where your coming from. I have a picture of them in my living room that does bring back fond memorys whenever i glance at it. I would love to think and i do that i will see them again. But doing so is very hypothetical. Dont get me wrong i would love to see them again. Just even for a few moments. Just for some acknowledgement.

A little story. Once This was perhaps six months ago. I was in front of the mirror doing my makeup. just for a moment. It was no more than a couple of seconds. I could swear i saw my Mother looking back at me. It was very inspirational and emotional and gave me some peace and hope that if there is another astral plain then they look from it at me with contentment at the daughter i have become.

She did seem to be smiling. Regardless of if it was just a mirage or not. It gave me hope and some comfort.

Once i had transitioned. I took time out to go visit there graves. Just for some closure. Also to show them what i had become. It was a very spritual moment.

from what i just said. take this. Let us all hope that we do not really cease when this life ends but its just a stepping stone to the next.

• 2 months later...

I really don’t think that we end completely once we leave this physical reality. But I do think that those who have become relatively invincible don’t value life, and especially the lives of others. I think there’s some merit to the idea that if we were capable of immortality, like what has been explored many times in vampire novels, or science fiction, that it cheapens our existence. But there’s also an attraction to being in some kind of a permanent state so that others can access our knowledge. And perhaps this is a balanced idea and the shape of things to come. However, what would be the result if we could upload our consciousness to a computer or an artificial body? Would we reject that existence? Would we go insane because it was too radical of a change from our original bodies. Would that existence be more like a ghost who was condemned to walk between this world and the next never to find closure and move on?  Would the grief be too much when we realize that our loved ones might not be fortunate enough to follow us into this place? These are possibilities as well, not just the utopian idea of being able to transcend human existence.