• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Upcoming Interview

Samsara

I am starting a podcast focused on interviewing people who have interesting careers, hobbies, or are active in social justice work. My goal is to produce the podcast as my authentic self, meaning that I am not hiding that I am a trans woman nor is that the point of the show. Really, the focus of the podcast is my guests and society at large. 

However, I do find myself in a bit of a dilemma. I have my first interview coming up. I am interviewing one of my favorite poets about their poetry and social activism. I used to work with them at my day job so we have a casual friendship. They do not know that I am trans as I am not out at work. I am not sure if I should let this person know before the interview that I am trans and that I will be most likely dressed in women's clothes and makeup or if I should just show up for the interview and see how the cookie crumbles. 

We have only interacted in person while at work, where I dress in pretty gender-neutral clothing (jeans and polo or t-shirt and no makeup...well, maybe a little mascara, eyeliner, and painted nails occasionally). I don't anticipate that they will have any issues with me being trans, but I also don't want them to feel ambushed with the information. Especially right before an in-depth interview.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

• Admin

If this is in-depth, my suggestion is to put it off until you have given the person 3 days and an escape route if they want to wait longer or decide against it.  This is said for the benefit of what you want to do to have a quality product. The person needs to be able to trust the interviewer unless of course you are giving them their Miranda Rights and letting them know it is a crime action.  Tell them up front and also if this is a Trans oriented thing, they need to carefully know for protection against their other acquaintances who may be Transphobic.  Be honest and listen carefully. It is safety for you as well.  

Thank you for your reply! 

Good advice. The podcast itself isn't directly about LGBQT+ issues, although I imagine such issues will come up in interviews as most of the people that I am inviting to be on the show are somehow connected to the community. I let my guests know in the initial invitation and again before the interview starts that if there is anything they do not want to discuss we won't. When the interview is finished I also let them know that if their out walking their dog and think, " shoot, why did I say that one thing?!!!," they can contact me and I will be happy to edit it out. I'm not doing hard-hitting journalism. I am trying to do profiles of people and what they care about.

Moving forward, it seems like the best thing to do would be to include in the invitation that I am a trans woman hosting the podcast. That way if the guest is transphobic they have an out before agreeing to anything.

I guess for the upcoming interview, I will dress the same way I did when we worked together. I'm not worried about them being transphobic. They are openly Queer and her poetry focuses heavily on gender issues/identity, but it probably isn't a good idea to spring new information right before the interview starts.