• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Facial Feminization

Early transitioner with the following questions:

1).What degree facial feminization did you see in just HRT?

2). Beyond that, what procedures did you have done to pick up where HRT left off?

3). Were these procedures done during the early phase of HRT it after?

also, if anyone knows of any good cosmetic surgeons in or near Massachusetts, I’d greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

Dina

• Admin

I have had nothing done other than HRT which has mostly affected my skin texture.  I should say HRT and a program of moisturization and cleaning which is simple enough.  The big thing HRT did was to calm me down and relax me, which showed on my face.  Being happy and content shows and if you need surgery for that  I see no problems with what YOU NEED.  I was evaluated by four cosmetic surgeons over a 2 years period and only a basic, but expensive little nose procedure to correct a cartilage tear from a five month old baby's head hitting it many years ago was recommended since I seem to have a fairly gender neutral  skull shape for my ethnic heritage.  I have even gotten by with only a few tiny bits of beard removal, but I still have to shave which does not bother me.  The face hair for me was always light in texture and not much of it at all.

In Massachusetts, the Fenway LGBT Health Center in Boston would be a good place to start looking for surgery referrals, and there are a couple of TG Conferences in that area each year where FFS surgeons usually give infomercials about their services and do mini-consultations which is what I did at first.  Surgery is NOT absolutely necessary to make you a fully Trans person, but if it is a dream, it is.

I have only been on HRT for 17 months now and I have noticed my skin has soften and my cheeks and dimples have filled out.  I have went and got a consult on FFS here in Phoenix.  The surgeon told me which is also what I want done as well for myself is my Chin and Jawline along with my nose.  The surgeon also mentioned about my crainal for my brows and lowering my hair line and making my forehead smaller.  But FFS is also usually up to the individual as the surgeon told me and what you want done vers what the surgeon see's that needs to be done.  Usually FFS is a combination of alot of little things and usually cost more than GCS

This is all right on point. I have started seeing my cheeks lift and fill out. My eyes look different as well (idk what’s different but they are a lot different) and even my chin and jaw have softened a lot lately. 

My gender therapist talked me right out of staying here in Boston for ffs. She says the good guy here is an arse and doesn’t take much insurance at all. And very expensive. She referred me to someone in Chicago for that. Don’t have the name with me, but he’s supposedly very well known. But is retiring in like 2-3 years she told me. You may be better off looking away from this area. And there aren’t many here anyways. And nothing for gcs. 

Beware of Fenway healths recommendations as well. The person they told me about for gcs has done 0 surgeries! Literally 0! No freaking way!! Great place. Very friendly. But they are very connected with local hospitals and really want their name at the top of the transcare  list I think. 

3 hours ago, VickySGV said:

I have had nothing done other than HRT which has mostly affected my skin texture.  I should say HRT and a program of moisturization and cleaning which is simple enough.  The big thing HRT did was to calm me down and relax me, which showed on my face.  Being happy and content shows and if you need surgery for that  I see no problems with what YOU NEED.  I was evaluated by four cosmetic surgeons over a 2 years period and only a basic, but expensive little nose procedure to correct a cartilage tear from a five month old baby's head hitting it many years ago was recommended since I seem to have a fairly gender neutral  skull shape for my ethnic heritage.  I have even gotten by with only a few tiny bits of beard removal, but I still have to shave which does not bother me.  The face hair for me was always light in texture and not much of it at all.

In Massachusetts, the Fenway LGBT Health Center in Boston would be a good place to start looking for surgery referrals, and there are a couple of TG Conferences in that area each year where FFS surgeons usually give infomercials about their services and do mini-consultations which is what I did at first.  Surgery is NOT absolutely necessary to make you a fully Trans person, but if it is a dream, it is.

That’s very encouraging though I know my mileage may vary. I’m very much down for FFS surgery but would prefer not to need it beyond what HRT does. I’d rather keep my financial resources available for bottom surgery.

10 minutes ago, Kirsten said:

This is all right on point. I have started seeing my cheeks lift and fill out. My eyes look different as well (idk what’s different but they are a lot different) and even my chin and jaw have softened a lot lately. 

My gender therapist talked me right out of staying here in Boston for ffs. She says the good guy here is an arse and doesn’t take much insurance at all. And very expensive. She referred me to someone in Chicago for that. Don’t have the name with me, but he’s supposedly very well known. But is retiring in like 2-3 years she told me. You may be better off looking away from this area. And there aren’t many here anyways. And nothing for gcs. 

Beware of Fenway healths recommendations as well. The person they told me about for gcs has done 0 surgeries! Literally 0! No freaking way!! Great place. Very friendly. But they are very connected with local hospitals and really want their name at the top of the transcare  list I think. 

Thanks for the advice about Fenway. I tend to hear mostly good things about them but would be interested in any other local clinics. I’m considered planned parenthood as they’re informed consent for most things.

• Forum Moderator

As a counterpoint, I have nothing bad to say about Fenway Health.  They've been good for me.  

Jani

5 hours ago, Nebulous said:

would be interested in any other local clinics

North of Boston, Greater Lawrence Family Health Center offers transcare:

https://glfhc.org/transgender-care/

Best,

Astrid

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   13 Members, 0 Anonymous, 88 Guests (See full list)

• Shay
    • Jackie C.
    • Willa
    • Kelli
    • Audrey
    • Confused1
    • KathyLauren
    • Petra Jane
    • mxophie
    • ValerieRun
    • DeeDee
    • DonkeySocks
    • Motormouth95
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Topics With Zero Replies

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Skai
    Newest Member
    Skai

1. FluffyDiscoLayce
      FluffyDiscoLayce
      (29 years old)
    2. Rabbit
      Rabbit
    3. SandraG
      SandraG
    4. Zalid
      Zalid
      (30 years old)
    • Willow
      Good Friday morning    I get a day off today, well sort of.  House work, grocery store, rain coming later.  Tomorrow evening our son is coming for a short visit. He has to be in Atlanta Tuesday so he is coming here first.     I had a nice talk with my therapist yesterday.  We discussed a number of things.  She indicated she could tell I was doing better than the last time we spoke, much happier and more outgoing.   my wife hard me mentioning a diagnosis of severe depressive disorder.  When we ended the session, my wife says to me would I be happier if I was fully out.  I’m thinking where is this coming from.  Turns out she heard severe depressive disorder I thought I was having serious problems.  No, that was my original diagnosis from when I first saw my doctor and first therapist about being depressed and needing help.  But knowing how she feels, I felt very loved that she would express that to me and say that I should just be out if that’s what I needed.  Just talking about this is bringing tears of happiness .   Cant see right now so I’ll be back later.   hugs   Willow
    • KayC
      I found that if I run my mouse across the whole line at once, it sounds like a major accident/spill in a restaurant kitchen 😁
    • KayC
      Hi @Kelli  nice to meet you and Welcome!   I think Questioning is natural, and for me (and mostly likely most of us here) it was really a first step of the process.  It might be the end point, or just the beginning of your journey. I agree with @Susan R and @Gabriel on the importance of therapy to be able to truly explore your feelings and identity in an open and non-judgemental environment.  Therapy has been an amazing experience in self-acceptance for me. Also, my experience from my time here in the Forum, is as I read more and more from other Members, it was easy to make a connection to some of our common shared experiences.  That was very helpful for me to start to connect the dots. Wishing you all the best, and hope to hear more from you❣️   Deep breaths ... one step at a time
    • Charlize
      Good luck with that Mira.  Hopefully the therapies you mention will help you find good sleep.   Hugs,   Charlize
    • Willow
      Some good information there.  I wear Soma all the time .  I like their softness and side coverage.  But admittedly I also have the falling straps issue.   I’ve considered Third Love and Pepper but since I’m in a growth phase I’m going to hold off.   Willow 
    • Shay
      I didn't come out at work and applaud you for doing so. I know acceptance of me would not happen in my day. I know it is hard but I am pleased you are doing it and braving it to know YOU are the reason things ARE changing and the next generation will thank you pioneer women and I'm not talking cooking. I admire you. I have been on HRT for 5 months and my internal pains continue to stew and tears come so much quicker but even now I am still such a rookie that you probably don't need to think of that any longer. You are making great progress. Be happy and keep doing what you are doing because whether you notice it or not you've come a LONG way and i am so proud of you.
    • MiraM
      **Update** We now have a target to shoot at in trying to deal with the fatigue.  Last Saturday I went in for a sleep study and I have been diagnosed with severe Obstructive Sleep Apnea and Periodic Leg Movement Disorder.  There are also signs of Restless Leg Syndrome.  They recorded an average of 42 apnea/hypopnea events and hour and 30 involuntary leg movements per hour.  The data showed an overall arousal index of 59 times an hour and a sleep efficiency of 54%.  They are pretty sure that this is a major factor in the my fatigue.   I am being referred to the Sleep apnea/C-PAP clinic to get set up with a C-PAP machine, and they may consider putting me on medication for the PLMD/RLS.  I guess time will tell if the fatigue gets better once I begin the C-PAP therapy.  They also said that the sleep apnea is likely contributing to my high blood pressure that is difficult to control with medication, and may also be a factor in my insomnia and weight issues.   I will post another update after I have been on the treatment.
    • Charlize
      I'm glad you are back Tyler.   I know that this site helped and continues to help me.  Hope you find the same.   Hugs.   Charlize
    • Audrey
      @ElizabethStarThis is one of my biggest worries about coming out at work. I'm sure it's deeply painful for you that some your co-workers aren't creating the emotionally supportive space for you. I do hope you have other co-workers who do accept you and a supportive HR department if it comes to that. I'm early in my transition and not out to anyone in my office yet, but I will need to do something because my physical changes will soon be less subtle and more obvious and that will bring the inevitable questions. My colleagues (and clients!) may have harmful views of transgender people as well and I'm sensing that I may face a similar situation to yours in the future. I work in a very small agency that's very prone to gossip so I'm fearful of what coming out will be like.   Love, ~Audrey.
    • Audrey
      Hi @Tyler1 welcome to TransPulse. I empathize with you about the emotional eating, it is something I struggle with as well when I'm feeling anxious or depressed. You are doing one of the very best things right now by reaching out and connecting with a community who can relate to you through shared experience. You'll find everyone here extremely supportive! I'm pretty early in my transition, and I do experience a lot of dysphoria from things about myself that I would like to be much different than they are now. When I realize that's happening, I strive to change my thoughts in that moment to something about myself that fills me with hope and confidence instead. I find that changing my thinking often changes my feelings, which in turn helps reduce the chance I'll start eating emotionally. What are some things about your transition that bring you hope and confidence? Love, ~Audrey.
    • DeeDee
      Hi Vivienne, it was an interseting video documentary, if a bit dated for me, Aiden and Michelle were at very different stages of their journey's. I am glad you found something that helped you to talk and connect to your siblings. This is wonderful!  
    • Jackie C.
      Well for me, my weight loss was fueled by a couple of things:   1) What Kind of Woman Are You? I mean sure, man in your case but the principle is the same. Is Jackie fat? No she is not. That got me into the gym. The fact that I wanted to be in the best shape of my life for surgery was also a motivator, but secondary to the idea that this is my body and I'm taking steps to make it something I feel comfortable living in.   2) Dysphoria. Once I started addressing my dysphoria, I went all-in. I wanted to look a certain way and I started doing everything in my power to make that happen. Every. Day. That means gym time and watching my diet.   For me it was absolutely about taking the time every day to lose weight. Side benefits included exercises to round my butt out (you can do the same thing, but build your upper body/chest) and narrow my waist. Exercise also helps with depression, which in turn helps you knock off the emotional eating. Also a vicious cycle, but a more positive one.   I hope some of that helps.   Hugs!
    • Emily michelle
      I had the same problem for a while and I ended up having to just wear sports bras for a while or I did have one racer back.  I looked at third love several times and it looks like they have very nice bras. I would also try soma if they have one near you. They are super comfortable and the associates were happy to help.
    • Tyler1
      Hi everyone, I’m Tyler.  I joined this website last year but have now just started being active on here. I’m 26, currently on testosterone and now just need to work on my mental health and losing weight for top surgery. I’ve come here as I’d love to here peoples experiences with there transitions and overall journey. Also to talk to people who have in common with transitioning from female to male but also just wanted to talk to people who are also on their gender identity journey. Thanks for accepting me into your community and would love to get to know you all a bit more.  Thanks for listening and taking the time to read my intro.  Tyler
    • Gabriel
      They are so fun, and they are also therapeutic! I can crush all of them and when I refresh or open a new page they are there again so I can go at them again. Good stress relief   (and I'n not even on T, I may become a monster LOL)
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.