• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Sign in to follow this  
LeavesThatAreGreen

I REFUSE to use razors on my arms again

LeavesThatAreGreen

I've been shaving my arms for like a month and a half and everything went perfect, it's even one of the things that helped me further realize that transitioning wasn't an option. But two weeks ago for no apparent reason, did everything the same but ended up getting these HUGE patches of razor bumps, like easily 50-60 all across my arms. Now two full weeks later they're still there, but they're almost doubled in size. I know this means they're pretty close to fading away, but still. I have no idea what I did wrong and I'm honestly too scared to try again. I never get a single bump when shaving my face, maybe one or two a month, my face problem is the half a dozen or so blemishes that are always there in random places.

I'm looking into depilatory creams for when this -crap- FINALLY heals, does anyone have a recommendation for coarser, dense-ish hair? I'd really like to avoid buying the ones specifically for men, not really because of any gender affirmation issues, but I feel like the formula will be too harsh, since I've been on a really intense skin care regime for a couple months now and I have noticeably softer skin at this point. Will normal Veet do the trick? Should I leave it on a bit longer?

Really surprised that my face isn't the main issue as far as body hair goes, I have to shave everyday and it takes me like 30 minutes to do my makeup, but I've never had a problem like I have on my arms.

Can't wait until I can afford electrolysis.

Jani

Great idea Mary.  I was going to suggest going to electric. There are ones you can even use in the shower.

Jani

LeavesThatAreGreen
1 hour ago, MaryMary said:

I use this for my arms when I need it : https://www.amazon.ca/Panasonic-ES2207P-électrique-tondeuse-utilisation/dp/B0018A32XS/ref=sr_1_1?__mk_fr_CA=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&keywords=electric+razor+woman&qid=1564096622&s=gateway&sr=8-1

it's very gentle on my skin, I don't even use cream. Granted, I no longer have many hairs there.

I actually bought that some one yesterday. What a coincidence. For me it doesn't shave quite close enough, but it I could be I haven't quite got the hang of it.

Willow

I’ve started using an epilator on my legs and arms. Start with your legs and when you get used to it try your arms.  It will hurt initially because you are pulling out the hair but once you’ve done an area a few times it no longer hurts.  Then again I’ve tried my stomach and chest and can’t get past that.

LeavesThatAreGreen
2 hours ago, Willow said:

I’ve started using an epilator on my legs and arms. Start with your legs and when you get used to it try your arms.  It will hurt initially because you are pulling out the hair but once you’ve done an area a few times it no longer hurts.  Then again I’ve tried my stomach and chest and can’t get past that.

I've considered that as well, however at the moment I have particularly coarse and dense hair on my legs and to a lesser extent on my arms, and I was under the impression that I could seriously damage my skin of I tried epilating it. Hell, I've even considered epilating my facial hair, but from my limited research I was told this is pretty much a bad idea.

DeeDee

4 hours ago, LeavesThatAreGreen said:

I've considered that as well, however at the moment I have particularly coarse and dense hair on my legs and to a lesser extent on my arms, and I was under the impression that I could seriously damage my skin of I tried epilating it

Leaves I would suggest using the depilatory cream on your legs and arms and then starting the epilator (or shaving) routine the next 24-48 hrs. I have really thick course body hair 🦁 and while shaving is okay I find I go through so many razors I spent a fortune the first 2 months and had to slow it down.

None of the creams are 100% successful and they are generally up to 10 minutes unless you feel your skin reacting and burning in which case take it off asap.  I use kitchen towel to scrape it off as it collects the hairs but does not hurt the skin and I usually do top or bottom half in one go and shower afterwards with a cloth to make sure its gone.

I can epilate my legs up to my thighs without issue but the hair needs to be growing in enough for the tweezers to grip and pull so the first few times it feels like you are sandpapering your skin. I bit the bullet and epilated my arms last week and for 2 days afterwards it looked like I had fallen in nettles and I could not do my under arms, but it has only just grown back to shaving length now. DO NOT EPILATE YOUR FACE - that will only lead to pain and misery. 😱 Good luck!

Charlize

I use a very similar electric shaver except that the one i use is the male model.  The trimmer was great to shorten over grown "jungle" areas so that i could shave them.  I use mine mostly in the shower with soap as a lubricant.  So far rashes haven't been an issue.

Hugs,

Charlize

Willow

Hi   My leg hair is coarse and black.  My arm hair is lighter and fine.  Any sensitive area is painful and nearly impossible to epilate.  They make epilators specific for women to use on their upper lip, but don’t even think about using an epilator on your face under arms or bikini area.  I have limited success with depilatory cream.  And my arm hair grows in multiple directions so the epilator tends to take a lot of work to get it smooth

Willow

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Who's Online   3 Members, 0 Anonymous, 117 Guests (See full list)

• SaraAW
    • Kai86
    • MaryEllen
  • Topics With Zero Replies

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Nathan
    Newest Member
    Nathan

1. KathrynJulia
      KathrynJulia
      (65 years old)
    2. Michelle 2010
      Michelle 2010
      (10 years old)
    3. Shiratori
      Shiratori
      (48 years old)
    4. woahshutitdown
      woahshutitdown
      (29 years old)
    • SaraAW
      Shawna, I hope you have a better today. Hugs!   Jackie,  I hope that everything goes well over the next 11 days. I’ve just recently started hrt and it’s already working it’s magic on my awkward protuberance, so I can only imagine what it would be like to deal with again.    As for me, I’m really looking forward to the end of a long week. Work has been extra busy and last night I spent a couple of hours talking a friend through a crisis. My heart was breaking listening to her pain.    That being said, my mood has been so much better since starting hrt. Not sure if it’s euphoria, placebo or it’s actually already helping my brain chemistry. Doesn’t really matter, as long as I can maintain the positive change.    The weekend is almost here, it’s not currently snowing and my kettle is boiling. I said it’s a great start to the last day of my work week.    Have a great day everyone!  *Hugs!*
    • Timber Wolf
      Good morning everyone, 🎈   Happy Birthday Shiratori!🎂 Happy Birthday KathrynJulia!🎂 Happy Birthday Michelle2010!🎂 Happy Birthday woahshutitdown!🎂 Hope you have a wonderful day!   Lots of love,  Timber Wolf 🐾
    • Robin68
      Thank you very much! I wish you good luck! 🍎🍎
    • VickySGV
      Your Gynecologist is your best resource.  I tell girls on the way to GCS to line up a post-op Gynecologist who does know Trans people and who has permission to communicate with their surgeons.  It was a little bit funny when I got home from GCS and was hurting while dilating pretty badly and called to schedule an appointment with a Gyn, and they told me the one the HMO wanted me to see had just gotten back from training by Dr. Meltzer and would see me the next day.  Took her six minutes to diagnose a yeast infection and two pills later, all better, but she called my Surgeon (Marci Bowers) and got acquainted since I had r3leases with both of them.   I have a Cis woman friend with vaginismus and while her dilators are a bit different, we can both commiserate. 
    • Carolyn Marie
      That's fantastic news, Trilly.  Congratulations!  Your journey to manhood has begun.  I hope its a smooth one, filled with joy and discovery.   HUGS   Carolyn Marie
    • VickySGV
      You guessed it on the pill reason.  Not the stomach so much as the liver though.  The injection and epidermal methods do not involve the liver as much as pills do.  As far as the estrogen gel goes, I have a tube of it about 8 feet away from me, but it works best on cis women and Trans women who are post op with a GCS technique that does create a mucous tissue inside the vagina. Estrogen in pill form is the form most likely to cause blood clots due to liver interaction.  
    • Ronin82
      Congrats, dude!! Yeah, that first shot is scary, but sooo worth it! Looking forward to hearing about your journey.
    • TrIIIy
      Welp, I just did my first self-injection of testosterone! Super scary, but manageable.   I am going to be chronicling my transition by taking a picture of myself every week for at least a year. I hope to have a nice montage by the end of year one! I will eventually post the video on YouTube. No links, I know, but it will be there.   Excitement!
    • FrozenWinter
      Thank you for your wish! *Gives "lì xì" (lucky money)*
    • Aidan5
      Ah, confidence will help a ton. Which, recently I find myself having more confidence when he is around. I also have really bad trust and abandonment issues, which he is helping me with. I am very cautious when I like someone. It blows my mind when someone tells me that they like me. I will work on my confidence and self respect.     thank you guys a ton
    • ShawnaLeigh
      Flirting isn’t a skill. It’s a comfort level.  You have to have a few things to make it work.  You have you really be interested in the person. Not just smitten.  You have to be confident in yourself as a lovable person and someone who is also desirable.  You have to relax and let things flow.  You can not plan or act out anything anyone else has said.  It can not be forced.  It comes from inside you as a confident playfulness.  Being clever and humorous is only a small part of it. But it helps a lot.   The biggest thing is to believe in yourself and be brave.  Eventually you see it’s not hard or scary.   just be you.  
    • Robin68
      The Vietnamese in my area celebrate Tet. Have a wonderful holiday!
    • Susan R
      Hey Michelle, the heavy dose of masculinity you quoted above reminds me so much of myself and where I came from.  The description is slightly different from mine in detail but very manly, none the less. It sounds like you’re able to look past these male features to see and feel the real you. It was easier for a time growing up to conform to the expected standards set before us but as you and I have both found, it doesn’t last forever.  Eventually, a good number of us see through the mask we put on and start to take control of the situation despite what society or culture dictates.  I congratulate you on getting to this very important part of your journey.  It will make things even better if your wife accepts you as you and becomes a vital support in this journey too.  I wish you the best in either case.   Susan R🌷    
    • Lucca
      Just something I'm curious about... the three most common methods of administering estrogen are pills, patches, and shots, but from what I can gather, the three most common methods of administering testosterone are patches, shots, and skin gels that you rub in like hand sanitizer. I've never heard of testosterone pills. Anyone know why? Does testosterone not survive in the stomach to get absorbed into the blood? Or for that matter, why is there no estrogen gel? 
    • Cara
      Another update -- the problem is actually called vaginismus, and caused by contraction of the vaginal muscles making intercourse painful or not possible. It is not necessarily even related to gender surgery -- it is not uncommon in genetic women. The treatment is... dilation, even for genetic women, and can be handled by someone's regular gyn physician.
  • Upcoming Events