• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

I REFUSE to use razors on my arms again

LeavesThatAreGreen

I've been shaving my arms for like a month and a half and everything went perfect, it's even one of the things that helped me further realize that transitioning wasn't an option. But two weeks ago for no apparent reason, did everything the same but ended up getting these HUGE patches of razor bumps, like easily 50-60 all across my arms. Now two full weeks later they're still there, but they're almost doubled in size. I know this means they're pretty close to fading away, but still. I have no idea what I did wrong and I'm honestly too scared to try again. I never get a single bump when shaving my face, maybe one or two a month, my face problem is the half a dozen or so blemishes that are always there in random places.

I'm looking into depilatory creams for when this -crap- FINALLY heals, does anyone have a recommendation for coarser, dense-ish hair? I'd really like to avoid buying the ones specifically for men, not really because of any gender affirmation issues, but I feel like the formula will be too harsh, since I've been on a really intense skin care regime for a couple months now and I have noticeably softer skin at this point. Will normal Veet do the trick? Should I leave it on a bit longer?

Really surprised that my face isn't the main issue as far as body hair goes, I have to shave everyday and it takes me like 30 minutes to do my makeup, but I've never had a problem like I have on my arms.

Can't wait until I can afford electrolysis.

• Forum Moderator

Great idea Mary.  I was going to suggest going to electric. There are ones you can even use in the shower.

Jani

1 hour ago, MaryMary said:

I use this for my arms when I need it : https://www.amazon.ca/Panasonic-ES2207P-électrique-tondeuse-utilisation/dp/B0018A32XS/ref=sr_1_1?__mk_fr_CA=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&keywords=electric+razor+woman&qid=1564096622&s=gateway&sr=8-1

it's very gentle on my skin, I don't even use cream. Granted, I no longer have many hairs there.

I actually bought that some one yesterday. What a coincidence. For me it doesn't shave quite close enough, but it I could be I haven't quite got the hang of it.

• Forum Moderator

I’ve started using an epilator on my legs and arms. Start with your legs and when you get used to it try your arms.  It will hurt initially because you are pulling out the hair but once you’ve done an area a few times it no longer hurts.  Then again I’ve tried my stomach and chest and can’t get past that.

2 hours ago, Willow said:

I’ve started using an epilator on my legs and arms. Start with your legs and when you get used to it try your arms.  It will hurt initially because you are pulling out the hair but once you’ve done an area a few times it no longer hurts.  Then again I’ve tried my stomach and chest and can’t get past that.

I've considered that as well, however at the moment I have particularly coarse and dense hair on my legs and to a lesser extent on my arms, and I was under the impression that I could seriously damage my skin of I tried epilating it. Hell, I've even considered epilating my facial hair, but from my limited research I was told this is pretty much a bad idea.

4 hours ago, LeavesThatAreGreen said:

I've considered that as well, however at the moment I have particularly coarse and dense hair on my legs and to a lesser extent on my arms, and I was under the impression that I could seriously damage my skin of I tried epilating it

Leaves I would suggest using the depilatory cream on your legs and arms and then starting the epilator (or shaving) routine the next 24-48 hrs. I have really thick course body hair ? and while shaving is okay I find I go through so many razors I spent a fortune the first 2 months and had to slow it down.

None of the creams are 100% successful and they are generally up to 10 minutes unless you feel your skin reacting and burning in which case take it off asap.  I use kitchen towel to scrape it off as it collects the hairs but does not hurt the skin and I usually do top or bottom half in one go and shower afterwards with a cloth to make sure its gone.

I can epilate my legs up to my thighs without issue but the hair needs to be growing in enough for the tweezers to grip and pull so the first few times it feels like you are sandpapering your skin. I bit the bullet and epilated my arms last week and for 2 days afterwards it looked like I had fallen in nettles and I could not do my under arms, but it has only just grown back to shaving length now. DO NOT EPILATE YOUR FACE - that will only lead to pain and misery. ? Good luck!

• Forum Moderator

I use a very similar electric shaver except that the one i use is the male model.  The trimmer was great to shorten over grown "jungle" areas so that i could shave them.  I use mine mostly in the shower with soap as a lubricant.  So far rashes haven't been an issue.

Hugs,

Charlize

• Forum Moderator

Hi   My leg hair is coarse and black.  My arm hair is lighter and fine.  Any sensitive area is painful and nearly impossible to epilate.  They make epilators specific for women to use on their upper lip, but don’t even think about using an epilator on your face under arms or bikini area.  I have limited success with depilatory cream.  And my arm hair grows in multiple directions so the epilator tends to take a lot of work to get it smooth

Willow

• 6 months later...

Did you do this before, after, or during a shower? How new/old was the razor? What type of razor were you using? 

I was just searching for a topic on body hair because I have one major body issue and it's a hairy one in fact my whole immediate family does no matter who so we're all cursed with it to some extent. Thanks Italian and Polish genes, I love it. I can use a traditional razor on my arms, it's not dense and coarse there for me and also doesn't grow too fast but my "down below" and middle upper chest are because those areas do grow in fast and coarse. It's proving to be difficult to not irritate despite being as gentle as possible especially if it's a fresh razor. I'll try that electric one (the Panasonic) linked all the way up there if it worked for other people, luckily I got some money saved and the annual return coming to give it a go. I'm happy it can be used dry because I can have allergic reactions to many shaving creams and I don't want to spend a fortune finding out which single one I don't. I'm sick of playing war body hair, at this point as long as I can get most of it smooth and without razor bumps or irritation in the worst areas I'll at least be satisfied. My face also grows fast and can be a pain often but it's nothing in comparison to the other problem areas.

• Forum Moderator

I have always used electric. I have sensitive skin so have to be very careful, even with a bikini trimmer around my bikini area. My approach has tended to be to use a hair trimmer to get things short then finalise with a close trimmer. These days I avoid skin close shaving in some areas because of problems with ingrowing hairs, shaving with a hair trimmer with no attachment - ie very close. I have not, or ever will, used an epilator on my face. I have tried on most other places but stomach is painful, backs of hands agony and I came across lots of ingrown hairs on my legs so mostly resorted to close shaving instead. I could put up with the pain except for ingrowing hairs which tend to get infected, unsightly and take days to clear. I do use my epilator for underarms though. Luckily most of my hair is not too course so I can use a bikini trimmer to good effect. Ingrowing hairs can cause lots of problems and even cis women have issues with them. My opinion would be to take things slowly and gently. I use lotions containing witch hazel which seem to work.

Tracy

I have used an epilator on everything but face and private areas and yes that includes tummy and underarms.  Not to mention butt and back of thighs.    It takes a long time to train yourself to get past the initial pain of hairs being ripped out but you eventually get use to it and then it’s not painful at all.  I still found I had to do “everything” every third day so I was disappointed it did not last longer.  I did this when I was not on hrt so it may be better now with finer hairs and slower growth 

I do a full body shave with shave oil in the shower now.  My skin feels soft and silky for days.  

I use a straight razor (Thiers-Issard makes excellent razors) on my body, and not only do I get an extremely close shave, I don't get any bumps. Of course there is a learning curve, but it's easily surmountable in a month or two.

You'll cut yourself once or twice (go slowly and concentrate!), but the long-term benefits of not having to spend $30-something on a pack of disposable razors beats the initial $300 over time. Plus, you'll get to know your curves better than ever!