• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Mario Lopez: It's 'Dangerous For Parents To Support Transgender Children

Ellora

https://apple.news/A1VWJK6Q7R1m0-GZncys18g 

“Mario Lopez is being criticized for claiming it's "dangerous" for parents to support children who identify as transgender.

The 45-year-old television personality made his comments in June during an appearance on The Candace Owens Show, a video series on the PragerU YouTube channel, but they sparked blowback on social media this week.

During the 40-minute interview, Owens brought up the "weird" Hollywood trend of stars like Charlize Theron saying their children are "picking their gender."

“And this is strange to me, and they say, 'Oh, I looked at my child and my child was swimming in a bathtub and looked up and said, "Mommy, I'm a boy'" and that's weird." 

“Owens, who said she had worked as a nanny in the past, insisted children don't always mean what they say—and don't have the "mental authority" to process their own gender identity.”

"I'm kind of blown away, too," said Lopez, who recently left Extra to begin hosting Access Hollywood. "Look, I'm never one to tell anyone how to parent their kids obviously and I think if you come from a place of love, you really can't go wrong. But at the same time, my God, if you're 3 years old and you're saying you're feeling a certain way or you think you're a boy or a girl or whatever the case may be, I just think it's dangerous as a parent to make this determination then, well, okay, then you're going to a boy or a girl, whatever the case may be ... It's sort of alarming and my gosh, I just think about the repercussions later on."

He then conflated gender identity with sexual orientation, saying, "When you're a kid... you don't know anything about sexuality yet. You're just a kid."

“Owens compared a child expressing a gender identity different than the one assigned at birth to calling themselves a mermaid, and accused parents who indulged such behavior of "narcissism."

"I think parents need to allow their kids to be kids but at the same time, you gotta be the adult in the situation," Lopez responded. "Pause with that and—I think the formative years is when you start having those discussions and really start making these 'declarations.'"

“According to a 2019 report from The Trevor Project, 1.8 percent of teenage Americans identify as transgender. More than half of transgender male teens report attempting suicide, compared to 29.9 percent of trans female teens. A national survey by GLSEN found that 75 percent of transgender youth felt unsafe at school.

Lopez, who welcomed his third child with wife Courtney Mazza this month, told Owens that his older kids don't associate with children who are trans or gender nonbinary.

"They don't kick it with those kids."

”While Lopez has been fairly open about his conservative views—posting a selfie with then-candidate Donald Trump in 2016—he's also been supportive of the LGBT community: He was a presenter at the 2011 and 2012 GLAAD Media Awards and was named grand marshal of the Miami Beach Gay Pride parade in 2015.

During the interview, Lopez also labeled social media campaigns like #MeToo and #BelieveWomen as dangerous, "because people lie—and sometimes those people are women."

”God forbid you have a son out there and a girl may have felt a certain way about a situation — dismissed, hurt, whatever—and is feeling vengeful," he told Owens, "and [she] just decides to tell a certain story that's not even exactly true, and come back and hurt that individual."

“In 1993, the then 19-year-old Lopez was accused of sexual assault by two women, but prosecutors declined to pursue charges.

PragerU, short for Prager University, was launched by conservative radio talk show host Dennis Prager in 2009. It is not an academic university, but rather an online media company aiming to balance perceived liberal bias on college campuses. The channel has more than 2.2 million subscribers and passed one billion views in 2018”.

Edited by Carolyn Marie
Modified all-caps headline

In general, I'd say more right-wing BS.  The thing that gets me is that someone created a "University" to spread their nonesense in a way that sounds official.

Not particularly surprising coming from Lopez, but disgusting either way. Him saying with that his kids "don't kick it with those kids" so nonchalantly and with a hint of pride is a bit more than I even expected though. Also, Candace Owens is such a reprehensible human being it's absolutely unreal. Easily up there with Richard Spenser in terms of the vile -crap- she spreads, but she has this veneer of respectability so she's been able to somewhat break into the mainstream. She has lovely quotes such as:

If Hitler just wanted to make Germany great and have things run well, okay, fine. The problem is that he wanted, he had dreams outside of Germany. He wanted to globalize. He wanted everybody to be German, everybody to be speaking German. Everybody to look a different way. To me, that's not nationalism. In thinking about how we could go bad down the line, I don't really have an issue with nationalism. I really don't. I think that it's okay.

If France wants to build an army to defend itself against anything, it ought to be the declining birth rate of its people. All signs indicate that it will be a Muslim majority country in just 40 years!

In reference to Blair White, a transwoman:

During a session of the Rubin Report in November 2017, conservative commentator Candace Owens also deliberately misgendered White, citing discomfort with using the "she" pronoun and calling her "a grown man" several times.

And the Christchurch shooter said that "she influenced him above all"

• Admin

This is a short article with link to a longer one on Lopez actually making an apology for his ignorant comments.

http://thefightmag.com/2019/07/mario-lopez-apologizes-for-ignorant-comments-on-trans-kids/?fbclid=IwAR0KotXUDoZ8L1C21b1PLnV4E-aWgrkL_MsCECg0prtSAmZTZIq-JALlcfI

The Fight which this is from is a magazine for LGBTQ people, and two of its editors are friends of mine whom I trust.

• Admin
1 hour ago, VickySGV said:

This is a short article with link to a longer one on Lopez actually making an apology for his ignorant comments.

http://thefightmag.com/2019/07/mario-lopez-apologizes-for-ignorant-comments-on-trans-kids/?fbclid=IwAR0KotXUDoZ8L1C21b1PLnV4E-aWgrkL_MsCECg0prtSAmZTZIq-JALlcfI

The Fight which this is from is a magazine for LGBTQ people, and two of its editors are friends of mine whom I trust.

His apology seems insincere to me.  What specific steps will he now take to become better informed, more tolerant and less ignorant?  It's too easy to just say "mea culpa," wipe your hands and walk away.  Not nearly good enough.

Carolyn Marie

yeah Lopez is just covering his own ass and will say anything to keep a job. I know people who know him or working with him...Def not comfortable around any LGBT people esp trans from I what I been told. He dose those LGBT  events for money that it...That said: I agree with him in that a child before the age 8-9 still dose not understand gender as identity ,but more of a curiosity, and that's ok..I always tell everyone who will listen, " I wish I know what I wasn't but rather what I have become when I  was young."   PLEASE I MEAN NO DISRESPECT TO ANYONE. I love you for the support and kindness you have provide me

• Admin
1 hour ago, Alex C said:

That said: I agree with him in that a child before the age 8-9 still dose not understand gender as identity ,but more of a curiosity,

This has been shown in multiple studies to be wrong.  Here are just a couple of authoritative views on the subject:

https://www.healthychildren.org/English/ages-stages/gradeschool/Pages/Gender-Identity-and-Gender-Confusion-In-Children.aspx

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/childrens-health/in-depth/children-and-gender-identity/art-20266811

Young children may not be able to express themselves in complex ways at the age of 6-9, but they do know, and can absolutely verbalize, what gender they know themselves to be.  Does it change for some children?  Yes it does.  Does that mean a parent should dismiss a child's gender identity?  No, it does not.

Carolyn Marie

• Admin
15 hours ago, Carolyn Marie said:

His apology seems insincere to me.  What specific steps will he now take to become better informed, more tolerant and less ignorant?  It's too easy to just say "mea culpa," wipe your hands and walk away.  Not nearly good enough.

I was reporting, not evaluating -- ?

Gender boils down to a long list of behaviors with only a few of them relating to sexuality or procreative sex.  The young people I know and have discussed with the Children's gender professional community have no confusion as to which of the many behaviors fit them the best and make them happiest and most functional.  Older children see their peers + start puberty and can express feelings about their anticipation of puberty changes in their life and how it will affect a life they are comfortable and happy with, they too are certain and not confused with those feelings.  It is confusing to those who have flowed into the gender molds of their assigned birth gender, and it is terrible for those of us FORCED into those molds and have mechanically performed, as an act, the gender role of the mold.  It is adults who are confused and fearful.  My young friends living their gender truth with parental support are not Trans as I am, they are children and young people without a qualifying adjective in front of the word child.

9 hours ago, Alex C said:

That said: I agree with him in that a child before the age 8-9 still dose not understand gender as identity ,but more of a curiosity

I cannot disagree with more right now. Children know a lot more than you, Mario Lopez  and many others are willing to grasp. I definitely speak for myself, my biological children and the two girls that are very close to my heart. They all learn very early in life , and the two girls knew and understood before they were 4. I knew who I was before the age of 4. I just could say anything about it, cause we also learn to keep quiet at an early age when discussing anything that has to do with the LGBTQ community. We learn to keep quiet do to the ignorance of others that Do Not Understand, but claim to understand something they Do Not bother to try to understand. Instead of talking and doing first hand research, they spout off at the mouth about something someone else said they heard something somewhere or read about. Which is unfortunately from a religious group, bought out politician, or old fashioned parent/ grandparent(s). 

People need to listen and embrace what our children are saying. We can All learn from children, no matter how young they are. The innocence of an uncluttered mind can reveal a lot. 

*Ugh, I didn’t reread my post before posting, and have a ton of misspelled words. I hope everyone can understand what I typed out. Bottom line is, the children Do know and understand who they are. They are very bright and intuitive. We all need to give them more credit. 

• Admin
12 hours ago, Alex C said:

I agree with him in that a child before the age 8-9 still dose not understand gender as identity ,

I am going to agree with that much of the comment.  Hold on without blowing a biscuit all over the room while I say why I agree.  As I mentioned above Gender is a terribly long list of behaviors and reactions to the our world and I agree that a child below the age of maybe 35* (if they are lucky ) observing the individual behaviors and analyzing them in detail is not going to happen. That is to be accepted as ordinary since it requires specific work to recognize them which only people in the Behavioral Sciences field like I am look for.  

On my own list I am up to about 40+ little behaviors from speech patterns, clothing preferences, arm and hand gestures, sense of humor, other body language I give off, choice of hair length and style and my triweekly trips to a nail salon are the beginning of a much longer list.  I feel more cooperative than competitive but I can zing back on someone that deliberately makes a pain of themselves at my expense.  All of those are behaviors deemed "Female Gender" and they are the most comfortable and fulfilling behaviors for my life.  It is refreshing to be able to do all of those things without comment or the disdain of more masculine peers.  I love living that way, and my fierce side is going to come out on anyone who tries to stop me.  (Did I mention that women's writing and speaking styles have more descriptive words in them and go into finer detail than men's are?)

The children I have met do not know the concept of Gender as I have described it above.  That is true.  They do know what they like to do and see it as just their personal lives. In time they will learn. They do not automatically identify as Trans, just as young people.  A young "Trans" friend of mine will be in college this year and wants to go into the Behavioral Sciences field which are truly Science fields in all that meaning and they are going to use it to help them see their own experiences in the realm we call "Gender". 

*yes, thirty five, not three and five tenths, 

• Forum Moderator
Just now, VickySGV said:

Hold on without blowing a biscuit all over the room

giggling this morning Vicky :D

2 hours ago, MaryMary said:

It's incredible how people feel entitled to comment about trans. children without knowing anything about the subject. After their comments they can resume their life but trans children and parents of trans children have to live with our very toxic society.

Word ^^^

Just now, VickySGV said:

blowing a biscuit

Speaking of biscuits, I couldn’t  wait until I could get rid of my own biscuits as soon as they dropped. ??