• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Another Life netflix

DeeDee

We have not long had the 1st series (10 episodes which I binge watched through today because I could) of Another Life on Netflix UK and as a scifi series it is a really well put together story and is definitely well worth a watch, but its main cast also features a trans doctor by the name of Zayn played by JayR Tinaco. What makes the character great is that it is not a cheap plot device but simply who that character is. Literally nothing is made of it, they are just a normal and valued part of the crew having the same experiences as the others.

• Forum Moderator
2 hours ago, DeeDee said:

What makes the character great is that it is not a cheap plot device but simply who that character is. Literally nothing is made of it, they are just a normal and valued part of the crew having the same experiences as the others.

That's nice to see, DeeDee.  The normalization of trans culture is coming sooner than later.  I notice it just being out and about.   People don't care that much..at least in the Seattle metro area.  Movies and TV series like this will help if more of this happens.  I haven't watched the particular series yet because my wife and I are right in the middle of another series at the moment but this one is definitely next on our list.

Susan R?

I love this series. At first I was skeptical because of the negative reviews trying to say that the plot was horrible, the script was horribly written and complaining about one character who dropped f-bombs every sentence, but nothing was ever said about Zayn. So I decided to watch for myself and ignore the two bad YouTube reviews I saw saying the same thing. But instead I was nicely surprised with a great series and a great plot. I’m anxious for season 2! I didn’t even realize Zayn was supposed to be non binary played by someone non binary... Until later in the season. Then it clicked and I was refreshed at how they handled the character. The show is definitely on the bleeding edge of drama and original science fiction. I’m starting to think that those who have negative opinions about the show are actually not happy about Zayn but are trying to get around that by nitpicking about other things that are not nearly as bad as they make them out to be.