• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

lsc512

Questioning and developing a plan of action

lsc512

Hi 

So im in a bit of a predicament concerning my gender identity and I'm kind of looking to get some insights on what I am and should do. I've been questioning my gender since I was roughly 14, I've always had a general kind of unease with my body and appearance. I don't really know why but, I've always kind of felt that I was born into the wrong gender, but not really having a frame of reference to what being male vs. female  felt like has kind of clouded my feelings. When I was younger it was kind of easier to distract myself from the way I feel by convincing myself i wasn't not masculine enough, so I dived head first into sports and bodybuilding but, it never really made these feelings go away. In college I was still kind of able to suppress my feelings by burying myself in studying & work which I guess m dysphoria(I think that's the word I'm looking for) didn't go away but it was still manageable. After graduating I went into the Air Force thinking being in an environment that would force me to keep my feelings bolted down would eventually make them go away would work, but I eventually broke down and started crossdressing as an outlet.  Again its kind of hard for me to describe why crossdressing made me feel better, since clothes and makeup don't make a woman. I'm not really sure why but presenting myself as feminine felt right I guess. It got to a point where I think on some level I wanted to get caught but it got to a point where I was wearing female clothing more than male in my off time, and for whatever reason I thought no one would question why I started shaving my legs and arms which got called out and kind of made me a bit more careful about it.  Like an idiot I was to scared to go to mental health and start getting some help about this while I had the chance, but with 1 1/2 years left on my contract I'm trying to figure out what I should do.

Going to mental health in the military isn't really an option since I don't want to risk my g.i. bill this close to the finish line, but I need to deal with this so ive been considering trying to find a psychologist/counselor(im not really sure who to deal with about this) off base. I'm really not sure how I should go about this since I want to explore the idea of transitioning and im almost out of the air force and have no desire to remain in the state I'm stationed so I'm not sure if teletherapy or online is an option and how state licenses work.

Sorry for the rambling.

Jani

Welcome!  Don't worry you're not rambling.  

Just now, lsc512 said:

Again its kind of hard for me to describe why crossdressing made me feel better, since clothes and makeup don't make a woman. I'm not really sure why but presenting myself as feminine felt right I guess.

This isn't uncommon so don't beat yourself up over it. 

Since you are so close to getting out of the Air Force I would strongly suggest you keep things under wraps. I know it will be hard but once you are out and any benefits are not at risk you can pursue your personal goals.  Its really the best thing to do from what I see.  

Please join in the conversation here to help ease your mind a bit.  There are lots of friendly folks here and we've been through all kinds of situations. I'm sure we can relate. 

Cheers, Jani 

lsc512
8 minutes ago, Jani said:

Keeping it to myself is certainly for the best, I think my main issue is trying to find some way to be productive about it in the meantime.

Carolyn Marie

Video therapy is fairly common these days.  If your base is close to a medium or large city finding a gender therapist should also be fairly easy.  The first step is up to you.  We have lists of therapists by state on this site, here:  https://www.transgenderpulse.com/resource-locator/

BTW, welcome to Trans Pulse, and thank you for your intro post.  There are a great many of us here whose stories are similar to yours.  You are among friends here, and you're welcome to post any questions and participate as much or as little as you like.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

Charlize

I'm lad you found us and can post here.  1 1/2 years may seem forever but it will pass quickly.  I think you would find video therapy would help if you can't see anyone F2F.  Some sites like Zoom are as good as face to face encounters.  Don't feel badly about waiting "too long".  I felt that when i went full time at 63 but today at 71 i'm happier than i've ever been.

Again Welcome.

Hugs,

Charlize

reyindium

There are plenty of us on here who have delayed transitioning (medically/socially/etc) for any number of reasons. In your case, preserving your career until your contract is up so you can secure your benefits is definitely a smart choice. Try managing your dysphoria the best you can in the meantime. A year and a half will pass quickly. I'm working on a similar timeframe for my coming out goals, so I can relate to the delay. I'd encourage you to talk about your feelings and experiences on here, and read up on others'. It's always helpful to know you're not alone on your journey..

Julielynn

Use the time productively.  It made me feel better to read up on everything involved to transition.  You may not decide that, but reading made me feel better.  Talking here is a nice little break as well since there's no reason to hide anything from anyone here.