• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Christian College Suspends Student Who Had Top Surgery

Carolyn Marie

• Forum Moderator

What a wide reach the college is taking there equating this surgery with sex immorality.   Would the same position be taken for some other reason such as a tumor? 

The host family should be ashamed of themselves. 

• Admin
On 8/12/2019 at 10:42 PM, Jani said:

What a wide reach the college is taking there equating this surgery with sex immorality.  

It is a genre of institution that lumps anything it finds "icky" into the realm of sexual immorality.  (A normal response to that stuff is arousal of the genitals in many people but to them it is evil.)  The college is one of the "Purity culture" which finds sex between a Heterosexual married couple to be a "necessary EVIL" with full emphasis on the evil part of it.  I was involved in a church setting during my teen years that embraced that notion in public to the point that one Sunday School teacher blushed a fiery crimson when a female first year college student asked what a Circumcision was when we were reading the Book Of Genesis in the Bible.  (Her mother was an RN to make matters worse.)   He was stuttering so bad I went to a chalk board and drew an illustration and made it even worse for him in his opinion.  I was asked to leave the church soon after.  My mother also was an RN and I had read her books on the subject of sexuality  very well by the time I was out of High School. It was no longer mysterious to me and almost a turn-off as opposed to a turn-on to draw a "filthy picture" on a SS classroom chalk board.   

I liked one of the comments below the article. That the ultra conservative version of god allows and perpetrates a lot of terrible things but questioning/changing gender identity cannot be allowed. That speaks volumes.

My personal favorite argument made by Christians (Of which I am a dedicated practicing, seminary bound one for the ELCA) is "God made you perfect the way you are" to which I respond, "Yep, and why God made a girl in a boy body I don't know..." that normally confuses them.

If they are Baptist, I then tend to turn to "Afterall God knows every choice I am going to make before I make it, so obviously, God knows I was going to come out as trans, so according to Calvinism, I am following Gods plan, and am thus conforming to my Christian life, no?"

That is typically when they start going but "Leviticus says..." blah blah and I walk away.

• Admin
1 hour ago, LaFleurSauvage said:

That is typically when they start going but "Leviticus says..." blah blah

Read a little more and you will find some newer translations by Jewish Linguists of the old Hebrew scriptures  and both Leviticus and Deuteronomy really blow up in their faces. 

In the Leviticus passages it boils down to their being two separate words both translated as garden variety male, but which define your ordinary Hebrew man on the street and the other a "consecrated male" which could mean either a Levite Priest or temple prostitute of another religion in the place, or even a male sacrificial animal.  Gets  kinda weird there. 

The Deuteronomy passage does not actually refer to a "woman" putting on male armor, but rather to disabled or maimed people and weaker people in general being conscripted for wars.  The next part about men wearing female garb probably refers to sneaking in to another man's harem which even the Hebrew men had or to draft dodging. 

Later on in the OT, women per se did wear armor to good effect, (Deborah) and men cross dressed to spy on cities.  (at Jericho) All accepted, legal and proper.

Just now, VickySGV said:

Read a little more and you will find some newer translations by Jewish Linguists of the old Hebrew scriptures  and both Leviticus and Deuteronomy really blow up in their faces. 

In the Leviticus passages it boils down to their being two separate words both translated as garden variety male, but which define your ordinary Hebrew man on the street and the other a "consecrated male" which could mean either a Levite Priest or temple prostitute of another religion in the place, or even a male sacrificial animal.  Gets  kinda weird there. 

The Deuteronomy passage does not actually refer to a "woman" putting on male armor, but rather to disabled or maimed people and weaker people in general being conscripted for wars.  The next part about men wearing female garb probably refers to sneaking in to another man's harem which even the Hebrew men had or to draft dodging. 

Later on in the OT, women per se did wear armor to good effect, (Deborah) and men cross dressed to spy on cities.  (at Jericho) All accepted, legal and proper.

Yep, I am great at dodging the bible bashers. The people who jump to the bible to justify their homophobia and transphobia do not actually understand the Bible, and they definitly miss the point of Jesus' sermon on the mount. Most of the time, they are also unwilling to learn.

thats just ridiculous to be honest, i already hate schools stopping students from wearing certain clothes (unless theyre offensive) or having certain hair etc... but when they kick a student out just for something that they can't change, its too much.