• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Looking for some help and advice.

Kirsten

Now I know most people here don’t really like giving too much “advice” per say about meds here, but I am caught in a dilemma and could use some help. 

If you've been following me I’m sure you know I’ve had serious issues with my e and t values since starting hrt. 14+ months and still on the male side of things as it stands. And tomorrow I have an appointment with my endo. So I want to have some ideas or options possibly to talk with her about. 

First is bioidentical  progesterone injections. I have literally seen a 50/50 or so split on progesterone being good or bad. But what’s the consensus on the injectable bio form only? Has anyone used it? What do they think? 

Second is ideas on lowering t and raising e somehow. I use spiro for a t blocker and im estradiol for e now. But I’m still way off. I was thinking about talking about possibly doing a laparoscopic orchie from the abdomen so as to eliminate scarring of the scrotum skin for my future gcs? Has anyone had this done and then went on to have gcs? I don’t really know of anything else that could help flip my hormones to where they should be. If you have other ideas please share with the class. Or dm me if it’s something you’d rather keep off the forums. 

I really could use some help with all of this. 14+ months of worry is enough. I want to get on the train heading into my future and off of the one I’m circling in now. Thanks in advance for the thoughts and ideas. It’s very appreciated. ❤️❤️  

• Forum Moderator

I'm glad you are going to see your endocrinologist tomorrow.  I am not a doctor but from what i've read Progesterone has been shown to cause severe problems, especially in regards to heart and vascular problems.  I'm not sue that by upping your E you can defeat T.  But again, that's up to your doctor to decide.

Spiro is only one possible blocker so perhaps you might ask about the use of others?

As to an orchiectomy i was told that it was important to remove the tubes connecting the testes as well as the testes.  Otherwise they can cause problems.  I'm not sure if that is possible with an incision.  I had a great deal of black and blue below from that procedure.  Mine was done with two small incisions which i'm sure causes less scaring.

Please let us know how things go for you at tomorrow's appointment.  

Hugs,

Charlize

Hello Kirsten:

I can say from my experience that for the progesterone, I am on the pill form and I have tried 3x different progesterone's and the one that I know that works is the bioidentical pill form <dosage>.  This seems to be working for me.

I have had a partial Orchie for myself due to testicular cancer and my scar is on my pelvis instead of the scrotum.  In fact not to get to graphic, but due to the size of the testise when I had cancer it stretched out my scrotum so I have alot of extra skin.  But I have been thinking myself on going to get another Orchie just to get rid of the other one.

I know there is another different testosterone blocker out there.  Just a thought on asking to see about trying that one.

For the estrodiol I know for me when my E dropped it was cause we found out that the new compounding pharmacy used a completely different formula and they never properly checked it out.  But when I went back to my other pharmacy, I can actually feel it going in me and like it will do something now.

I know different pharmacy uses different formula's.  might try another place.  Or see about instead of doing the IM, try asking about the subcutaneous injection.

Just some thoughts

Edited by VickySGV
Dosage removed -- Rule 13 --dosage discussion
  • Forum Moderator

When I spoke with my doctor about progesterone he did not recommend it.  He related that the growth I would see would be primarily fat and not breast tissue so long term success was not guaranteed.  Also there are some side effects such as depression, which I had heard about.  I decided against it.   

All my best on your appointment.

Jani

Just now, Jani said:

When I spoke with my doctor about progesterone he did not recommend it.  He related that the growth I would see would be primarily fat and not breast tissue so long term success was not guaranteed.  Also there are some side effects such as depression, which I had heard about.  I decided against it.   

Jani

I have heard many similar things about the p4. But I have heard so many of the opposite when talking about the bioidentical kind they use now. Idk how different it is from the other stuff, but it really seems like it’s 100% opposite. That it helps with mood, sleeping, metabolism, and t blocking as well. Some say it helped their chest some don’t so idk about that. Honestly I don’t care at all about my chest. I’m having too surgery eventually anyways, but the t-score and the mods stability both seem really beneficial for my current issues. But idk. It’s such a big decision to make with so much contradictory information. Truly a 50/50 split it seems. ?

thanks for the input both of you. I’d still love to hear some more thoughts on it all. Especially if someone’s had first hand experience like Amy. I’ve yet to find anyone that says no that has been on it. The bioidentical variety specifically. The other stuff is definitely poison. That study I posted even says it helps with blood flow and bone density. Had I just learned of it today, is def say yes, but I’ve heard so many bad things here in the past that it’s a hard decision because of the trust I have in y’all. Jani was it the bioidentical variety your dr said no about or the other stuff? 

2 hours ago, Charlize said:

Mine was done with two small incisions which i'm sure causes less scaring.

I also had two small incisions, and the healing went really well, and haven’t experienced any bad scarring. I was assured the procedure they performed won’t cause any future issues with the what has been left. No extra part of the tubes have been left, just the scrotal tissue for the future if and when I want to finish my bottom surgery. 

12 minutes ago, Jani said:

Jani

Two gender therapist and my doctor told me that the studies have a range of what progesterone May and may not do, but have never advised against it for me, that may be different for others. I decided to take it Incase it works for me, but told them if it had any adverse effects I would stop it. I haven’t had any issues as of yet.

Ellora you had a typical orchie right? I won’t let them cut my scrotal tissue again. I already had a vasectomy so there’s already damage from that. But laparoscopic is scar free down there. I have a friend that had lots of issues due to hers so I just can’t risk that. But I’d love to hear about it if it was thru the abdomen. Recovery and scars and such. I talked to a girl last week that showed me her scars and they weren’t awful. But not great either. Right up on her panty line is where they went in. I thought it was pretty cool they could do that. But she had no insight on recovery because I talked to her the day after which was Thursday last week. Lol. But man do I want to nip this t issue in the bud. Like sooo bad. Ugh. 

Yup, had the typical one, but I didn’t want my surgery done anywhere else, so this way worked well for me. The healing process was easy and I didn’t have any complications, so I guess it’s a preference thing. I hope yours goes well, and you can resolve any other issues you are having.

I was T free when I had my blood draw 4 days later, and that’s enough for me. Plus I can’t really see any scar tissue in that wrinkly bag of blecky blecks, so I’m good to go. 

Just now, Ellora said:

Yup, had the typical one, but I didn’t want my surgery done anywhere else, so this way worked well for me. The healing process was easy and I didn’t have any complications, so I guess it’s a preference thing. I hope yours goes well, and you can resolve any other issues you are having.

I was T free when I had my blood draw 4 days later, and that’s enough for me. Plus I can’t really see any scar tissue in that wrinkly bag of blecky blecks, so I’m good to go. 

Wish I was as lucky as you. But in my life my experience is if it can go bad, it does. Thanks for the info. 

3 hours ago, Kirsten said:

I have heard many similar things about the p4. But I have heard so many of the opposite when talking about the bioidentical kind they use now. Idk how different it is from the other stuff, but it really seems like it’s 100% opposite. That it helps with mood, sleeping, metabolism, and t blocking as well. Some say it helped their chest some don’t so idk about that. Honestly I don’t care at all about my chest. I’m having too surgery eventually anyways, but the t-score and the mods stability both seem really beneficial for my current issues. But idk. It’s such a big decision to make with so much contradictory information. Truly a 50/50 split it seems. ?

thanks for the input both of you. I’d still love to hear some more thoughts on it all. Especially if someone’s had first hand experience like Amy. I’ve yet to find anyone that says no that has been on it. The bioidentical variety specifically. The other stuff is definitely poison. That study I posted even says it helps with blood flow and bone density. Had I just learned of it today, is def say yes, but I’ve heard so many bad things here in the past that it’s a hard decision because of the trust I have in y’all. Jani was it the bioidentical variety your dr said no about or the other stuff? 

So I know for myself with my experience there is a bunch of side effects being on progesterone.  I have experienced one of them by it doing bloating on me.  But now with the progesterone my doctor is trying me out on the wiley effect.  Where for 3 weeks I am on a high does of estrogen and then after 3 weeks, I switch to a low does of estrogen and add the 100mg progesterone.  I can say that it has helped fill out my breast not grow them.  

But there is both good and bad side effects on progesterone and so need to watch.  For myself, my doctor wanted me to call them in 3 weeks after doing the progesterone to see how I am doing and how I am feeling,  just to see if there is anything out of the ordinary.

But hope that helps out from my experience

So, not that diet may make a huge difference, but have you thought about the foods you are eating?  I know nuts and black olives can increase testosterone levels. Those big Brazil Nuts are the strongest.  Tofu increases estrogen levels.  I don't know a lot about it beyond that, so you may have to do your research.  At the same time, don't get too hung up on it either.  Do what you can and let the meds do the rest.

Hoping the best for you, dear.  Good luck.

6 hours ago, Kirsten said:

Wish I was as lucky as you. But in my life my experience is if it can go bad, it does. Thanks for the info. 

Life hasn’t always been a bed of roses, I’m just very fortunate to have some top doctors and therapist that specialty is in Transgender people and they recommended the surgeon for the Orchiectomy. They also have a top recommendation for the bottom surgery if and when I decide to complete that part of my Journey. I’m very fortunate at times. I guess that’s part of the balance. 

Good luck in your journey.

Hi all. Well I guess I can put my 2 cents worth on this subject.  I have been on progesterone for a considerable period of time and the only thing that I have had was a headache when I was taking the dosage I was instructed to take, so I backed it off to half dosage and that helped. Just a few days ago, I went back up and I had a headache a couple days but they have started to subside. I go and donate plasma 2 times a week and they check all my vitals and protien as well as water content and everything is good.  And now I gave been going to the gym and I havent seen anything yet either taking progesterone.  So my thought is I am very lucky. Hope this helps. Hugs all. Susan

8 hours ago, michelle_kitten said:

So, not that diet may make a huge difference, but have you thought about the foods you are eating? 

That is one thing that I am not too worried about. I am basically a pescatarian at this point. (Lots of fish and lots of greens) but I’ll look into it. Thanks for the idea. 

Thanks for your experience @Susan  I hope I do well with it as well. 

I have heard from so many people and I have decided to at least give it a go. I haven’t heard any bad stories about the p4, just cautionary stuff from people without first hand experience. I still don’t know about the orchie. I’m gonna y’all to my endo today and my therapist on Tuesday and see what they both think. And make my decision from there. Overall 2 girls told me the orchie created issues with gcs but dozens had no problems. So it’s probably fine. More than likely that’s in my near future as well. And my wife is okay with it as well. So ??‍♀️

Thanks again for everyone’s input. You all helped me yet again and it’s greatly appreciated.