• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

AnnaD

anyone work here?

AnnaD

i actually quite like the idea of working as a doctor. is this a good idea, or would it be too much effort?

tracy_j

Like many other things it requires a lot of learning and other training. My son initially started on that route at university but decided it was not what he wanted. It is a good idea for those that will enjoy it but don't forget you would have to get really involved with people, both mentally and physically too. I would suggest talking to a recently qualified doctor, if you can find one, to get an idea of what it is like.

Tracy

Jani

If you look you will find that there are many transgender person's that are doctors.  Dr. Christine McGinn is one that comes to mind.  There are many other examples in other fields.  I know of Lawyers, Pilots, Scientists, Business owners, et al.  

Of course anything worth doing it worth the effort. It all depends upon what you want out of life.  Don't focus on how hard something is, focus on the happiness you will receive doing something you love.  The old adage "find something you love and you'll never have to work a day in your life" is true. 

Jani

Charlize

Dr McGinn is my doctor.  That is in part because she is located quite close to me.  She is lovely.  We could certainly use more trans doctors.  That being said the direction you take in your studies is a personal one.  I know medicine often requires that we pick a path early.  I would speak to your school counselor to discuss options.  I'd also talk to your own doctor and see what they say about their lives in medicine.

Hugs,

Charlize

AnnaD

thanks, all 👍

ShawnaLeigh

I work in the medical industry but not as a health care provider or nurse.  
I work as a BioMed.  I’m the person that inspects and repairs all manner of medical devices and equipment.  I am in charge of four separate hospitals in my area.  I’m the only one in each hospital so that makes me “in charge”. Lol

i have tons of commuting time.  Luckily I get paid for that too.  

reyindium

I'm entering the nursing field with the end goal of becoming a flight nurse. It is 100% worth it. Doctors have a different job than I do but  I love what I do. If you think being a doctor is your calling, go for it. We have a shortage of providers.

Carolyn Marie

Math, biology, chemistry and English are some of the most important things you'll need to study, and be very, very good at, to be a doctor or even a nurse.  You'll need lots of $$, a scholarship and/or student loans to make it happen.  It will be hard work, the hardest thing you've ever done, but if you really want it, you can do it.  Take a look at some online university course catalogues to get an idea about pre-med or biology/biochemistry majors.  That's the first step on a long but fulfilling journey to being a doctor.

I've given talks to medical and nursing school students about the needs of trans folk in medical care.  One thing I've noticed is that they really do seem to care, and seem to get the importance of knowing our needs.  We need lots more doctors with knowledge of us and good attitudes.  You can be one of them!

Carolyn Marie

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Who's Online   5 Members, 0 Anonymous, 187 Guests (See full list)

• Tristantulaine
    • JustinaS
    • Miseria
    • Astrid
    • Willa
  • Topics With Zero Replies

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

fashionRN
    Newest Member
    fashionRN

1. claire1000
      claire1000
      (69 years old)
    2. nikrs
      nikrs
    • Tristantulaine
      I think since it seems there is an interest there that it would be a really great idea!  My adult friends and I took my adult friend to one for her birthday once because she had never gone before and it was absolutely the most fun we have ever had.  I think you see things from a different perspective as you get older and aquariums are a great place to recapture some of the fun and innocence of childhood. Also someone who has always been supportive and willing to listen is probably the kind of person who would enjoy doing something more unique. And you can always get a plushy from the gift shop to snuggle.    I hope all works out for you! 
    • A. Dillon
      Yes, I actually do! I don't write in it daily, but whenever something important happens, I always add to my voice diary of my laptop. That way, I will also be able to hear the progression of my voice over time. For now, I can gladly say that months of training my voice has definitely lowered it quite a bit, and while it might not be exactly what I want, you can't knock progress! It is also more helpful than writing because you just set a time limit and say whatever comes to mind. Hearing your own voice really gives you a better feeling of exactly what you were going through in that moment, and a clearer picture in the whole. I have started crying before, and that raw emotion while you are talking with just yourself and the microphone is something that you can really look back on. It can be a tad more stressful, sure, but I find that there is much less pressure as you are just doing and saying whatever you want.
    • ToniTone
      I'm sorry she compelled you to do that. It's not fair... 
    • ToniTone
      I'm not really good about maintaining a journal. But I consider my thread here, Toni's Tale, for that purpose.    ~Toni
    • Jani
      Thank you all for your kind comments.  I did lay low for the better part of the day and evening.  I just got up to get a bite to eat.  When I'm not well I do tend to "forget".  Not good.      Again, thank you.  I'm feeling better already!  Jani
    • secondlook
      I have started a journal within the past week, it's helping me sort through a lot of complex emotions and thoughts. Sometimes I get overly fixated on a single thought and writing it down seems to help. 
    • TammyAnne
      Aiden, that sounds like a good outing. Zoos are good to. Be aware that the penguins smell awful, and it's a smell that you continue to smell the whole time (unlike many things that stink but olfactory fatigue sets in so it doesn't smell so bad). I think most aquariums with dolphins or killer whales do a lot of splashing the audience, so I don't how you feel about that. Could be fun.
    • Susan R
      Sounds like a great first date.  Dining on the first date is nice as you have each other to focus on but if you don’t  know the person then it can feel sort of like an interview getting to know the other person.  Having something else as the focus is great to alleviate any awkward silences during your time together.  The worst first date IMHO is going to a movie where you’re both passive observers with little or no communication until after it’s over.   I think the aquarium idea is good.  If the date is into it, why not? Good Luck, Susan R🌷  
    • TammyAnne
      Jani, I'm sorry to read that you've been in a bad way. I truly hope the medicine kicks in and you better very soon. It's so awful to not feel well. TA
    • TammyAnne
      After an soon-to-be-ex-wife went through dozens of volumes of my private journals - most of which predated our relationship - and began berating me about what i wrote, I burned them all. Have not kept a functional journal since, although I have tried many times to get started again. I have at least 5 bound journals with only the first 4 or 5 pages used, the rest blank. I doubt I'll ever be able to journal again, no matter how hard I try. TA
    • Aidan5
      I was wondering if it would be too cheesy to go to the aquarium for a first date?    Sometime this week I want to ask him (The guy who has respected me as a man since the very moment we met, and has probably been the most supportive friend I have had at school.) We are really close and I feel like I could tell him anything, he is always dropping hints on the possibility that he might like me.I have already decided that I like him and I am going to take my chances, he talked about liking sea animals, and I love the ocean so I thought it would be pretty cool to take him to the aquarium. Since he is still somewhat new to the area he hasn't gone yet, from what he has told me. If this goes well I might actually have a valentine for the first time haha.
    • Susan R
      Yes, I can see this happening.  I get it.   I had a similar fear when coming out to my wife.    She thought after 22 years together she knew all about me yet this HUGE part of myself hidden away from her and she never saw it despite all the hidden cues during that time.  Everything I did overtly pointed in the other direction.  The thought of her seeing the ‘real me’ for the first time was almost terrifying as possibly losing her.  I ended up using ‘pulling off the bandaid as fast as possible’ approach when telling her about my transition needs.  You may end up having to do the same thing with your therapist.  After the deed is done and the adrenaline drops a bit, I bet you will experience a huge breakthrough.  
    • TrIIIy
      It might have been a bad spot. I have zero experience with giving myself injections, so I probably messed something up. I will check in with my doctor and ask him.
    • Ronin82
      Sometimes, if I hit a "bad spot" for an injection, I'll be uncomfortable and itchy for a week. When I first started doing the shots, I tended to have pretty gnarly bruises that wouldn't clear up for 2 weeks! I have since learned how to find "good spots" for injections, although I hit a bad spot today, so it will be interesting to see what happens. I tend to get raised bumps, itching, and bruising. Sometimes it burns for a couple of days, but nothing really SORE. If you're experiencing any reactions that are directly related to the shot, especially this soon after starting, I'd call the doc anyhow. They need to know what its doing, even if it clears up. See if ice helps? It usually helps me with injection site discomfort.
    • lilyofthevalley
      I've had this therapist for 5 years now, and I have a good relationship with her. You would probably expect that to make me more comfortable sharing this, but somehow it just makes me fear it will change how she thinks of me and damage our connection, if that makes any sense... I've never discussed anything this "deep" with her.
  • Upcoming Events