• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Geek time! Any other "otaku"/J-nerds out there?

Heather Nicole

On 8/24/2019 at 2:03 PM, mochi90 said:

Hello, my name is Micah and I'm also an Otaku and was a bit of a weeaboo growing up. 

I don't read much manga lately except for Hourou Musuko, which I am reading right now because of the transgender characters. But growing up I absolutely loved Shonen Jump, CLAMP,  Inuyasha, Digimon, Vampire Knight, and Fruits Basket. Here is my top five: 

1) Fruits Basket

2) Death Note

3) DigimonAdventure01&02

4) Rurouni Kenshin

5) Daigenki Daisy

If you have any suggestions for LGBT manga, I am always open to suggestions. I also listen to Jrock music and One OK Rock is one of my favorite bands. 

Did you see that they released a 2019 Fruits Basket remake with dub. I like it 1000% more than the original animation. Tohru's voice actor is waaaay better too.

On 9/11/2019 at 6:56 PM, Ricki Ashlynn Kara W. said:

Here is a list of some Anime I have enjoyed over the years for a variety of reasons in no particular order

Hi!

Scientific Railgun's one of my fav's too. Misaka and Shirai are SOOO COOL!!!  I have a bit of a thing for Ruiko, it's hard not to connect with her emotionally during the level-upper arc. And Uiharu, she makes me want a daughter just like her! Best part is her scene:  "Yay!!...Really? 'Cause I don't see a problem...(oh, you meant too many cameras, not cakes)" If you've seen the second season, the "money for me" bit goes through my head every payday :)

I've been following Citrus and Bloom Into You, too! Funny their similarities, though. Maybe it's just me but sometimes I have trouble keeping them both straight in my mind, probably because they both have a stoic dark-haired class president as the love interest. Really like them both though. Sweet Blue Flowers and Wondering Son also favs of mine. I think I've heard of Simoun before, it sounded worth a go. The rest of the  LGBT+ ones you listed I haven't heard of, I'll definitely have to check them out, I really enjoy LGBT+ manga/anime. Ever read any of the ones by Milk Morinaga? Hers, along with Sweet Blue Flowers/Wondering Son, are my top favs in the category (Although I'll admit Morinaga's can get a little formulaic, and perhaps a touch saccharine, if you read them all. Still love them though.)

By "Girl Meets Girl" do you mean "Kashimashi"? Because I really enjoyed both the manga and anime, although I still haven't finished either yet...Ones like Kashimashi,  Ranma 1/2, etc, always make me really envious of the protagonist!

Just now, Ricki Ashlynn Kara W. said:

Correct. The growth of all the characters is quite touching, even if it's a bit campy.

I'll definitely have to finish the series then. And heck, I like campiness. It's a good counterbalance to the drama that is reality ;)

There's one background song in the anime that I LOVE. If you ever come across the soundtrack, it's a light piano piece called (if memory serves...) "Hiai mo otome ni wa" It was in the background of a scene in an early episode, set at the school where one of the characters was on a rooftop watching another window into a classroom (I think it was raining?)...I was so struck by it, I ended up searching out sheet music for it and started learning to play part of it...'Course, that was some years ago and couldn't play a note of it anymore. :(

Just now, Ricki Ashlynn Kara W. said:

I have not read girl meets girl, just seen the anime. The protagonist learns how to be a girl, and her friends all learn that she is, in fact, now a girl. xx and all. I about died laughing when the childhood friend is listining in while she is getting measured for a bra and realizes that she is bigger chested. A third friend says "You just now realized that?!?"

OMG, I loved that scene! That scene is always the one that comes to mind when...oh, heck...that scene is probably one key reason why there's a part of me that wants a childhood gal-friend like that mentoring me on how to be a girl!

• 5 months later...

I'm getting this old post out of the ground to present myself as a fellow anime and manga fan. I've consumed it for nearly two decades at this point, but I've never been one to try to consume everything every seasons like some people do. I enjoy both recent and old stuff alike and prefer consuming them once they finished publishing or airing if possible.

Rather than do a huge history of what I've read/watched and liked, I decided to share a link to my MyAnimeList profile. There are several things which aren't updated like my biography and my favourites, but it is complete enough to give an idea of what I like. These days, I mostly use this website for the lists above anything else as my anime and manga histories show.

I didn't see anyone else sharing a myanimelist profile here, but if some of you have one, feel free to share, I'd be curious to see what you watched or read.

https://myanimelist.net/profile/Willowtry

• 4 weeks later...

I was pretty excited to see a forum for anime/manga! I've been loving on it a lot the last couple years, and had a hand in me being proud of being trans early on. Hideri from Blend-S and Felix Argyle from Re:Zero were very much "wow look at them! They're so confident and proud to be who they are. Why wouldn't I want to be that?" Nano from Nichijou felt so analogous to coming out as trans, that a particular scene got too heavy once and I had a panic attack (it's a comedy by the way lol) 

I'm really loving Yuru Yuri and Ascendance of a Bookworm (I'm so happy season 2 wasn't postponed)! 

But I will also share my MAL page since that is a bit easier to share by! My user name is atshorlus53... My browser is having some issues lately so i don't want to share a link if it would bring you nowhere! Looking forward to needing out!

source (1).gif